Monday, October 19, 2020

Fairy Tale Blank, Part 5

When he opened them again, Richard pulled in next to a group of small wagons on a green pasture. “Last stop, folks! All out for the village of Holly Woods, with exchanges at Columbia Eye, Peacock, Sesame Neighborhood, and Alphabetia Kingdom!”

He easily lifted Brett out of the carriage. “Thanks.” She dusted off her own brown cloak. “Need some help with those bags?”

“I'll be all right.” A thick black cloak with a wide hood covered the handsome bandit's features. It must have been beastly hot in this warm fall weather, Charles thought. “The two of you can go make inquiries in town while delivering the bags to the houses on the left. I'll do the ones on the right, and we'll meet my men in the tavern.”

“What about me?” Bill whimpered as he jumped away from a soldier on a horse. “I keep getting trampled on.” He dashed behind Charles. “And that lady with the jar on her head almost stepped on my tail!”

Brett made a face. “Just stick with us and keep your mouth shut. There's other animals roaming the streets, and I doubt most of them talk.”

“You could be a little nicer to the poor guy, you know.” Charles patted the wolf's faded brown fur. “You're not perfect.”

“I've had a lousy time lately. At least the worst that happened to you was losing a job!”

“It's how I make money, remember?” He sighed, stopping in front of a shop with dried herbs in the windows. “Look, why don't we just go deliver these. Maybe someone around here can tell us about Malade and the missing King and Queen.”

It was a lot cleaner and more elegant than Charles would have figured from the outside. The pale blue tiled walls were printed with the occupations of the townspeople, flowers for florists or a wheel for millers or an ale mug for the tavern. On closer inspection, the tiles were slightly cracked and the clay jars on the old wooden shelves were chipped and worn. Only the bundles of dried verbena and rosemary hanging from the windows and ceiling beams were fresh and sweet-smelling.

“Hello?” Brett dinged a bell as Charles admired the tiles and Bill sniffed around a jar of blackberry cordial. “Anyone in there? We have a delivery to make!”

“Yes?” The older lady who came to the counter sported a clean, if faded, red dress over a white blouse. It brought a glow to her golden cheeks and honey-blonde hair. A small heart pendant sparkled on her breast. “May I help you?” Her round face lit up when she saw Brett. “Snowy! You're all right! I'm so glad. I heard what happened to Jack and the royal family. How did you escape?”

Brett grinned and leaned into the hug. “I'm fine, Arlene. It would take a lot more than my stepmother in a bad mood to bring me down!” Charles wiggled his fingers at them. “I owe this man, and several others, my life. Which reminds me.” She tugged one of the little burlap bags from a basket on her arm. “We're here to do a favor for one of those men.” As she put down the bag, her eyes gazed quickly around the room. On seeing only Charles browsing and Bill slurping cordial, she continued in a whisper. “We brought money from Robin Hood.”

“Ahh, our town hero.” Arlene's wide gleaming smile was quite knowing. “One of his men usually deliver money or food here. Most of the supplies go to my few remaining clients.” The charming smile turned bitter. “I had more work when I was the healer for the queen and king. The new queen claimed she had her own healers and that my work was too light-oriented and fired me.”

“Arlene, that's why we're here.” Brett darted behind the counter, her voice dropping to a whisper. “You were close to the court. You knew the king, queen, and the Wizard Gene. If anyone would have any idea of what happened to them, it would be you.”

The blonde drew in a breath before continuing softly. “Gene's in the woods, imprisoned in a tree. Some little friends of mine will tell you which one. Betty and her children are...under protection. I wish I could tell you where Allen is. I wish I could tell Betty where Allen is. She's heartsick without him.”

“I wish I could too, Arlene.” Brett tugged sadly at her scarf. “I know what it's like to have someone torn out from under you.”

Charles brought a red clay jar to the counter. “Miss, I'd like to buy this. I think the ointment will be useful for sore feet after a long performance.”

“Thank you, young man.” Arlene quickly took his coin before returning to Brett. “When you find Gene, ask him about the Legendary Princesses.” She looked directly at Brett when she mentioned them. Brett frowned deeply, but said nothing.

“The Legendary Princesses and their champions?” Charles raised an eyebrow. “Lot of myths coming true around here. Find the Princesses and the other halves of their souls who are their champions, and you'll have the strongest power in the kingdom.”

“Trouble is,” Brett grumbled, “I heard Malade captured two of them, two left the kingdom years ago, and no one has ever found the remaining two.”

Arlene smirked. “You should know...and Gene will. You know how he is with the ladies. Find him, and he'll be able to tell you more about them.” She sighed, looking up at a window. “Wish that new apprentice of mine wasn't busy with her stepmother. I'm not sure I want her coming through town this afternoon, with the guards here and all.”

“I think we'd best be going.” Brett made a face at Bill in the barrel. “Come on. We'll get you water at the tavern.”

The little wolf finally dragged his face out of the liquor and staggered into her leg. “Awww! But that was so good! It was...really...smooooooth!”

She gazed down in the barrel and made a face. “Damn it. He drank it all. I don't have any money on me!”

“I'll pay for it.” Charles pulled out a few more coins. “Hope you weren't planning on drinking anything at the tavern. That was the last of my cash.”

Arlene pocketed the money. “You won't find my contacts. They'll know Brett right away.” Clanking metal and yelling outside made her wince. “You'd better get out of here, before the guards come in and ask what you're doing.” Pushing one of the cracked tiles revealed a narrow opening behind the counter. “Take the back way. Don't let them see you with those bags. They've been coming to town every few days, rounding up more taxes and searching every nook and cranny for the queen.”

“Thanks, Arlene. You always were a lifesaver.” Brett snagged Bill by the scruff of his neck and shoved him out the door, with Charles quickly following.

No comments:

Post a Comment