Sunday, October 18, 2020

Fairy Tale Blank, Part 29

The two imps followed three snarling, normal-sized demons. Malade reached down to caress the trio of demons. One had reddish fur and a rather large toothy smile that showed gleaming sharp teeth. The other two had round cheeks and graying fur, one with straight, the other with thick curling fuzz and, rather oddly, glasses.

She stroked the largest of the three under his chin. “Thank you, Sir Thomas. Three of your fellow wizards. They follow me now.”

Gene firmly took his wife's shoulders. “Helen, you and Betty go to the safe place we discussed and send Sir Gautier and Sir Walden back. They took Brett's boys there a while ago. I want you to stay with the kids.”

“I'll go get them,” Helen said sharply. “But I won't stay there. I've spent the last twenty years watching you leave me. I'm not doing it again.”

“I'm staying,” Betty added, clutching the frog who murmured into her cleavage. “I'm not letting that monstrosity tear my home apart!”

“We'll split up,” Richard added. “Nipsey,” he said quickly, “you, Della, Lee, and Fannie will help attack that overgrown fur coat up there. Brett and Charles, you help Donald with Patti. Marcia, you and Bill help the wizards with the smaller demons. Bobby and Elaine, you stay with the queen.”

Bill Cullen explained sadly. “She captured our fellow wizards when she invaded and drained their magic. That's why I left. I thought I'd be next.”

“I couldn't leave,” Gene added. “I had my wife and daughter. Sir Convy and I convinced Malade we were on her side.”

“Well, they know otherwise now,” Charles pointed out. He brushed a furry hand off his shoulder. “Brett, cut it out! I'll make fun of your hair later.”

“Uh, Charles.” Brett moaned in a strangled voice as she peeked over his shoulder. “That's not me!”

Charles turned around quickly, making a face. “Then who...” His glasses ended up focusing on a chest full of silver hair. They went up...and up...to a pair of blue eyes, and... ”Demons wear glasses?” The creature had a pair of round spectacles, not unlike his own and Bill Cullen's. “Um...hi!”

“Oh, good grief. Sir Kennedy,” Brett fussed, “would you stop leaning on him? No one wants to smell your body odor. When was the last time you or your brother bathed?”

“Brett,” Charles whined, “he's three times your size. Don't antagonize him!”

“Tom!” Gene got in between the larger demon and Charles. “Tom, old friend! How're you doing? Where's Jack? I thought you two were living in Malade's fortress of doom and gloom now.” He swiped at Gene with a paw nearly as big as his head. “What was that about, Tom? I thought we were friends!”

“He doesn't know you anymore, Rayburn,” Malade hissed over his head. “He follows my commands.”

“Don't you ever get bored controlling everything and everyone?” Brett grumbled, rubbing her head. “God, I feel lousy.”

“I'm not feeling so hot myself,” Della muttered as the smallest demon grabbed her from behind. “Ok, Beaver Face, I'm going to have to get rough with you.” She tried punching him in the gut, but he didn't move. “Come on, boy!” she kicked wildly. “Get your paws off!”

“Thank you, Sir Marshall.” Malade's hiss sounded entirely too satisfied. “I need the powers from two more. Bring her to me. Sir Narz, bring me the redhead.”

“Oh no, boy!” Fannie ducked away from the shorter demon's sinewy arms. “You're not getting your great big claws on my powers!” Waving her hand only conjured a small breeze. It barely ruffled Sir Marshall's straight shiny fur. “Now, sugar,” Fannie began, “maybe we could negotiate. You ain't that bad lookin', for a demon. Maybe I could change you back, make you even more handsome...” Sir Marshall only replied by grabbing her over his shoulder and throwing her in front of Malade.

The witch's sugary grin showed sharp white teeth as she batted Richard's arrows away. “Yes,” she giggled in her sweet sinister voice, “no need to be shy, Princess of the Air and Princess of Strength. I'll just take those tasty powers of yours...”

Richard and Nipsey screamed at once when the black lights hit Fannie and Della. Black lightning coursed through them, wringing red lights and puffs of white clouds, until the women collapsed on the floor, their skin dried and wrinkled with age.

“Yes....YES!” The demon screamed, her body growing and stretching as her toothy mouth sucked the light in. “I feel it...it makes me stronger! Everything is mine!”

“Honey,” Donald squeaked, “I think we'd better get you out of here, before Queen the Furry decides she wants fish for dinner next!”

Patti gulped. “Just...get me to water,” she rasped. “I may be a mammal, but I'm a marine mammal. We need water to survive, just like fish.”

“There's water in the fountain,” Betty reminded them, tucking the frog gently into a pocket and grabbing Patti's fin. “It's either that, or we haul her to the moat.”

“We'll cover you,” Richard added. He shot off his arrow into her arm. It hit its mark, but she barely noticed. Lee thrust her knife into her in a frothing rage, which got more of her attention. She flung the furious woman into the sunset orange chrysanthemums. “Lee!” He yelped, nearly sliding to her. “Lee, are you all right? She really gave you a knock, love!” He shook her, but she swatted his hands away, groaning.

“Hey!” Elaine's head popped out from behind the asters. “What's all the noise back there?”

Richard made a face. “I thought you two were watching the queen.”

Bobby's head emerged. Even in the moonlight, red lipstick stood out on his tanned cheek “She went with the others. We're hiding from the monster.” A hand with long pink fingernails pushed his head back into the flowers before his boss could yank him out.

“Guys!” Charles wailed as they dumped Patti into the gold fountain. “Remember that thing?” He pointed upwards with a shaking finger at the demon.

“Yeah,” Donald puffed. “What do we do now? By the way, dear, after this is all over, let's talk about swimming together and you losing a few pounds.”

“Thanks, Donald,” she chuckled. “You know how to make a mer-girl feel good.” The second she hit the water, it illuminated with a turquoise glow. “I'm feeling a little better. Enough,” she grabbed Donald by his green calico collar, “to remind me to do this.” The force of her kiss knocked them both into the fountain. Brett whistled; Charles and Betty clapped.

“Uh, yeah.” He gave her a dazed grin under the thick mustache. “What was the question, honey?” He grabbed her and kissed her back, as hard and passionately as he could.

Charles noticed something strange. The moment they kissed...Malade screamed, shrieking at the top of her lungs like she'd been punctured by an arrow. He tugged at Brett. “Hey Susan, could you conjure up enough power to get me a ride on that thing?”

The older woman rubbed her head. “I can try, but I don't know how well I'll do.” Placing her hand on the tallest tree in the garden just barely made it bend enough for Charles to climb on.

“Thanks!” Charles called to her as he scrambled into the branches. “Now, get me to her!” The tree bent over, leaning against her silky black chest. “Is this as high as you can go?” The branches swayed and bent, as if to shrug. It could only reach so much. He'd have to do the rest.

“You little...” Malade growled, trying to shake him off. “Get away from me!” She nodded at the other demons. “Get their wands! I need more magic!”

“Oh no, you don't!” Gene dove away from Sir Marshall, rolling under him. “Watch where you put your hands, Peter. There's no way I'm letting that monster turn me into a walking fur coat!”

Bill Cullen couldn't move that fast, thanks to his damaged leg. Sir Narz easily swept into his bad leg, sending him to the ground with a groan. “Jack,” he groaned as he held him down, “I'd appreciate it if you didn't breathe on me. Have you and Tom been eating dirty socks?”

“Hey!” Marcia screamed, scrunching her eyes closed. “Get off him, creep! For shame, attacking a nice guy like that!” She focused as hard as she could, but her blue light barely ruffled his fur.

“Oh boy,” Prince Bill gulped. “This is where I come in.” He hesitated momentarily before making a flying leap onto Sir Narz's back. “Ok, big boy,” he ordered. “Let's get off the little fellow, before I have to get rough with you.” Sir Narz flung him off his back, but he jumped right back on. Marcia did the same with Tom, trying to direct him away from Gene.

Charles finally reached the top of Malade's shoulders, hanging on for dear life. His eyes couldn't help rolling downwards...and seeing just how far down it was. “Hoo boy,” he muttered. “It's a long way down.” He gulped, then opened his mouth and sang “Put On a Happy Face” as loudly into Malade's ear as he possibly could.

That got her attention. She roared and tried hard to fling him off. “Charles, help is on the way!” Brett called. “I hope I have enough juice left to get up there,” The green light that flowed through the leaves was slight, but the vine slowly managed to heft her onto Malade's other shoulder.

Charles smirked. “That was graceful. How are you with musical comedy scores?”

“At this point,” Brett yelped as she clutched the fur on the demon's neck, “I'll sing the William Tell Overture if it'll get rid of her!”

Charles winced as a high-pitched voice emerged from the fountain, sending a wave of water up to Malade's chest. She roared like a wind storm and shrunk slightly. “There!” Patti called. “That should help! Come on, guys. Get singing!”

“She hates water,” Gene added, avoiding another swat from Sir Peter. “She's a fire demon. And anything beautiful or pure. Demons feed off of negative energy.”

“So, let's not be negative.” Elaine emerged from behind the asters, a sweet smile on her delicate face. “I think this poor thing needs to be healed.” Before Bobby could stop her, she leaned into Malade's thick fur. “Yes...I can feel the pain. You've never really been happy.” She petted her fur like she was a puppy.

“Uh, Elaine,” Bobby muttered from the asters, “the only thing that will make that monster happy is seeing all of us dead.”

“S...stop!” Malade boomed. “Take your hands off me!” With a wave of her claws, a rope of golden fluff appeared in her hand. “Your hair, pretty one!” It dissolved into fluffy yellow particles her claws absorbed. Water Patti sent onto her disappeared instantly. “It's now a part of me.” She grew even larger, towering over the castle. “There's nothing you can do now!”

“That's what you think!” Charles yelled into her ear. He reached around his neck and grabbed Brett's hand. “If we sing together, can you get your moving ropes going?”

Brett gulped and clutched her stomach. “I'll see what I can do.” Charles opened his mouth, letting “You'll Never Get Away From Me” flow out of his mouth. Brett's clarion foghorn sounded a little odd in harmony with his voice on the fast ballad, but it seemed to do the trick.

Malade roared, trying to shake off the little people making noise in her ears. One vine snaked around Charles, grabbing him just before his grip slipped. Another wrapped around Malade's ankles, trying to pull her down. She roared, digging her claws into the ground.

“Wait...” Nipsey added, taking Della in his arms. “If it works for the man and his fish lady, it could work here. You're the boldest angel I ever knew. I thought I liked poetry more than love, until I gazed at you.”

He leaned over and kissed her. A gold light surrounded her...and she pulled him down and kissed him harder. “Hey hon,” she drawled, her eyes fluttering open, “do you really mean that? You sure know how to sweet-talk a lady.”

“Every word, hon.”

She easily bounced to her feet. “Ok, where's that giant stuffed animal? I'm ready to take her down about six thousand huge pegs.”

“Hold on a minute, folks.” Richard frowned as he and Lee knelt on either side of Fannie. “What are we going to do about her? Her lover is probably a stone statue inside.”

Lee put her arms around Fannie. “Remember what the fairies said?”she chided gently. “It doesn't have to be her lover who revives her. It just has to be someone who cares.” Richard nodded and wordlessly wrapped his strong arms around both women.

Soft breezes blew around the entwined pair for a few minutes. When the breezes finally disappeared into the night sky, a familiar voice cried out from under their entwined arms. “Hey! Let me out! I can't breathe under here!”

“Sorry, Fannie.” Richard chuckled and moved his arms first. “We had to restore your magic somehow!”

“We're your friends.” Lee added as she and Richard tugged her up to her bare feet. “That's what friends do.”

“Well, thank you.” Her gentle grin lit up her face as her soft breeze blew her to them for another hug. Malade roared over them. “Oh, pipe down, you giant handbag,” she snapped up to the demon. “We're havin' fun here.”

Gene held his wand to her. Golden light glowed on the end. Malade reared back, nearly tripping over the vines. “Light!” he yelled. “She hates pure light, and she hates love! Happiness! Anything cheerful! It's not in a demon's nature!” Bill Cullen tried to light up his wand, but he had to fight it away from growling Sir Peter.

Suddenly, there was a rush of leather wings. Huge paws slammed into Sir Marshall's face, sending him sprawling. “We're here...Master Cullen...” growled Sir Dick Gautier as he wrapped his arm around the other demon's neck. Sir Robert Walden wrestled Sir Jack Narz to the ground.

Waves of water splashed from the fountain onto Malade. It was only enough to make her torso wet, but she still roared and reared back. Debralee waved her wand as she charged in...only to run almost head-first into Malade's chest. “Whoa!” she rubbed her head as it flung her back. “Ok, that's one big wall!”

“That's not a wall!” Charles called. “We're gonna sing and distract her! How are you with light?”

“I can reflect light off water,” Debralee yelped. “Let me just...” She fluttered down to Patti and Donald. “Your Highness, maybe we could try to work together. How's your water magic? Mine doesn't do so well in the moonlight.”

Patti shrugged. “It'll be ok, as long as I stay by a water source. What do I have to lose?”

Donald gulped. “I think the answer to that one is 'our lives,' sweetie.”

Gene tapped Richard's shoulder and borrowed his sword. “We'll handle everything over here,” he called as he held the shining blade at Sir Kennedy's neck. “Sorry, Tom. I don't want to do this, but you're not thinking. We're going to have to keep an eye on you until we can break that spell.”

“All right, everyone!” Charles called down. “Start singing! Follow along. If you don't know the words, hum, or whistle, or something!”

Brett focused on her vines, making them squeeze Malade harder. “Mother, you're through.” She grabbed Charles' hand as the beast shook harder. “Watch it, Victor! I don't think you want to lose your toupee down there. That'll be a hell of a pressing if you get underfoot!”

He smirked at her, grasping her hand tightly. “Well then, Susan, hold onto your wig and keep singing!”

“You know,” Elaine giggled, “she is really kind of squeezy. Wish she smelled better, though.” The blonde princess tugged a small frilly glass bottle from her pocket. “You need a whiff of this.” She sprayed her all around her sleek black fur. “There. Better.” Not only did she bury her face into the fur, but she reached out and pulled Bobby into it, too, holding his hand.

“Elaine,” he muttered through a face-full of fur, “what are we doing?”

“Shh!” One slender white hand waved from Malade's lower back. “We're healing her!” Gold light built around her leg, a small but playful light that ruffled her fur and danced around the duo.

“Well, you're going to have to hold on real tight.” Fannie closed her eyes, focusing. “It's my turn now!” She focused, waving her hands until a wind that smelled of fresh late summer apples and roses blasted straight into Malade's chest. “Keep singin' up there!” Her face turned almost as red as her hair as she waved her hands, blowing the light from the torches on the sides of the palace where Malade could see it. “This is gonna be a bumpy ride!”

“Love-in!” Della wrapped her arms as hard as she could around Malade's other leg. “This is so much better n' trying to kill her. Kill 'er with kindness, that's how you do a demon in!” Nipsey reached over and grabbed the fur over her head, both of them singing loudly into her fur.

“Let...me...go!” Malade shook harder, growling into everyone's ears. “You're a fool...you silly...minstrel!” She reached up, taking Charles in her claws. “You're...killing...me! You and...your silly...emotions!” He gasped as she wrapped her scratchy claws around his torso and squeezed him, knocking out his breath. “I...should crush you...destroy you...you and my meddling stepdaughter...”

“Charles!” Brett reached out for him in horror. Her vines wrapped around Malade's fingers, trying to open them. “Betty,” she called, twisting around to find the queen cradling the frog in her arms by the fountain, “how's your friend coming around?”

Betty's peaches and cream face gazed sadly on her fallen friend. “He's not. Nothing I can do will bring him around. We all tried. We shook him. We sang in his ear.”

“I even splashed him with water,” Patti honked as she stroked the frog's back. “Your Majesty, he's getting awfully dry. That's not good for frogs. Really wrecks havoc on their complexions.”

“There's just...I feel as if I've lost something precious,” Betty sobbed noisily. “I barely knew him, but I feel...I feel like I just lost my best friend. He kept trying to kiss me...trying to help me...he helped us get to Marcia and fought as well as anyone else in the ballroom. How could he be gone?”

“Oh, for heaven's sake!” screamed Brett from her stepmother's shoulder. “Just kiss him already!”

“Kiss a frog?” Betty wrinkled her nose. “I may be an animal lover, but that's pushing it a little far. They don't have warts, but they do have mucus.”

“Can you do something?” Charles rasped as Malade squeezed him harder. “I don't know if I can take this much longer!”

“Well...” The queen sighed and finally lifted the little frog to her lips. “Here goes nothing.”

The second her lips touched his rubbery green ones, the little amphibian's rubber body shook like a blade of grass in an earthquake. Green and gold lights chased the black light into the shadows. Betty threw up her hands as the bright light subsided...revealing a white-haired, bespectacled, badly bruised man with his head pillowed on her lap.

“Allen!” She threw her arms around him, ignoring his tattered robes and dirty tunic. “I knew it...there was just something in the back of my head all along that said it was you, but it was like there was a screen over that part of my brain and I couldn't think of it...”

“Wait!” Charles shoved at the demon's dry, leathery fingers. “First of all, lady, you seriously need about ten bottles of lotion. Your hands are drier than Brett's knees. Second, could you please put me down? I can't breathe up here!”

“Good.” Malade wrapped her shaking hand around his upper half, cutting off his complaints. “Shut up, you little troublemaker.” She shook harder. “There is nothing a useless little weakling can do to stop me!”

“Maybe not one,” Betty took her husband's limp hand and Patti's, “but how about three?”

Donald grabbed Patti's other hand. “Or four? Let 'em rip, darling!”

“Sure.” Patti shrugged, let Betty go, and swished her hand around in the water.

“Let me help you,” Fannie added, taking Donald's hand. “I think we might be able to create a nice little typhoon that'll bring this great big lizard down to size.”

“Do it fast!” Debralee shot her water at the three toothy imps who chased her. “I don't know how much longer I can hold out here!” The tiny creatures hissed and surrounded her, lashing at her with their claws.

“Gene?” The wide-eyed, silver-haired troll lumbered out of the ballroom, his big smile vanishing. He dragged a statue of a small woman behind him. “What..happened...to...Dolly? How did...she turn...to stone?”

The older wizard nodded at Malade. “Ask your boss.”

He made a face. “She's not...my...boss. I never liked...her. My wife...and I...just want to give...parties...again. We had...one last party...after the queen and king...disappeared...and she did this to me.”

Light and water swirled in the wind, spraying over the entire crowd like drops of moonlight. “Whoa!” Richard grabbed Fannie's hand. “I think it's working! It's also soaking us, but if it works, who's to complain?”

Gene was pushing Sit Kennedy back with his sword and holding his wand with the other hand when he looked over his shoulder. “What's that sound? Does anyone hear it? It's coming from Televisia City.”

“Brett, can you see anything?” Charles rasped, his singing voice becoming merely a croak from overuse. “All I see is black fur.”

“I...think so!” Brett clutched her vines to keep from blowing off Malade's shoulder. “There's a light...many lights? There's rows of lights coming down the road and over the bridge. They look like villagers carrying torches. Either that, or everyone in town suddenly decided to sleepwalk while carrying about six thousand fireflies.”

“Is it me,” Marcia added, “or do I hear singing?” She ran to the edge of the bridge over the moat. “Hey,” she called, “they're coming! They're all coming!”

“Holy cow!” Prince Bill gasped as he peeked over her shoulder. “It's the whole town! The whole country! Cullen, you won't believe it! Everyone's coming! The whole world! I've never seen so many people!

“While the villagers distract Malade,” Brett added, “I need to go to work. Charles, hang on! I'm coming!”

He glared at her. “That's great, now do something about the monster hanging on to me!”

“Richard,” Fannie panted as sweat poured down her face, “she's vulnerable now! Shoot her in the heart!”

“Please!” Betty begged, clutching Allen to her chest. “Before I do it myself!”

“I'll help.” Marcia focused on Richard's last arrow. “Bill, go give the monster a hug.”

“Me?” He squeaked. “Oh no. I'm allergic to demons. They give me a rash, and I end up looking all red and bumpy, and I swell up like a frog...no offense, Your Majesty...”

“None...taken...” Allen muttered from Betty's arms. “Bill,” he grunted, “just go help the others, before I manage to stand up and kick you there myself!” Bill didn't need to be told twice. He grabbed Nipsey's other hand and burying his face into Malade's leg.

“Bobby!” Elaine clutched his hand as the winds blasted across the gardens. “Hold on!” She clutched his hands, grasping them for all she was worth. “I can't lose you again! I won't let her hurt you, or anyone!” Tears ran down her cheeks, falling in golden streams into the silky fur. They blew into the whirlwind, mixing with the green light vines and red light coming from Della as she squeezed Malade's leg has hard as possible.

“Ok, boys,” Brett rasped as she swung her vines over to the clawed hand clutching Charles, “do your stuff here!” Debralee flew over and added her own magic.

“Everyone stand back!” Richard yelled, pushing Lee behind him. The villagers all stumbled back several feet, or maybe they were blown back by the raging typhoon. “Lee, hang on!”

“I don't think I can do much else right now!” she shouted over the din, grabbing his back with one hand and the side of the fountain with the other.

Far from blowing it off-course, the typhoon sent the arrow directly into Malade's chest, aided by a faint but prickly blue light. Gold tears flowed down Malade, helping to wash her away as she screamed. Brett's vines wrapped around her, squeezing her and forcing her to loosen her grip on Charles.

“Don't worry, Victor!” Brett yelled, throwing a vine down. “I have you!”

“Yeah,” Charles moaned as he grabbed hold, “but who has you?”

The vines gently wrapped around both of them, just as Malade opened her hand to fling him into the wall. It grew around her hand instead. “Everyone,” Charles called, “keep singing! Even if you're lousy at it! It doesn't matter!”

The vines clutched the side of the castle as the music reached a crescendo, and Charles swore his ear drums nearly ruptured. It seemed to penetrate Malade, too. She broke down before their eyes, her arms and legs bursting into explosions of rainbow lights.

“Um, everyone?” Brett yelped as the explosions brightened. “You might all want to stand back. I think she's ready to blow!”

“Gene!” Helen pushed her way through the crowd, waving a torch. “What's going on here? How did she get that big?” She pointed her torch at the dissembling demon.

“Honey, I'll explain it later.” Her husband shoved her next to the king and queen. “Right now, just hang on!”

Suddenly, there was a massive discharge of rainbow light, knocking every single person in the garden to their feet or into flowers and bushes. Charles yelped and grabbed Brett's arms. The only things that kept them from being flung into the moat were the vines wrapped around their waists.

Brett looked over her shoulder as the rainbows dissolved the last of her dark light. “Do you think we overdid it a bit there, Victor?”

“Well,” he admitted, watching the black light drift off into the darkness, “maybe just a little, Susan.”

“Mom!” Adam ran to his mother's side, his brother on his heels. “Are you all right? What was that thing? How did you get to ride it?”

“It's a long story.” Brett gave them the biggest hug she could manage. “I'm just glad to see both of you. I love you so much!”

“Mooom,” David groaned, “don't get mushy!'

Betty helped Allen to his feet. “Are you all right, dear?” she asked as she brushed him off. “What happened? Thanks to Gene's magic, we saw her turn you into...something. A frog, we know now. How did you end up in the well?”

“After Malade threw her tantrum, she took me down to the garden and dumped me there. Apparently, I eat from your dishes and drink from your cup, and then I had to get you to kiss me. I couldn't let on that I knew you, and I had to be as rude as I could. I think she wanted me to scare you off...but she didn't know how you feel about animals of all kinds.”

“Well, a frog isn't my first choice of animals I'd like to kiss,” Betty admitted. “But in this case,” she added quickly, her sweet smile flashing, “I've never been so glad that I did!”

She pulled him into a longer, more passionate smooch...and as they came up for air, they heard a burst of loud applause. Almost every person in Televisia City watched them, cheering and clapping and whistling.

“Dear,” Betty murmured as he kissed around her neck, “could we do this later? We have an audience.” He pulled away, blushing deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment