Friday, October 20, 2017

The Summer Strikes Back, Part 27

Simon Palpatine looked up from his paperwork as Vader barged into his office at Alderann Island. “I told you to concentrate on practicing for the surfing contest.”

Boss, a bunch of our boys were caught burning the City Council down.” He made a face. “Two locals chased a couple of 'em to the Endor Estates. One lost his bike. Jerrod says they were my sister n' brother who chased 'em.”

So I heard. I thought they were still in Atlantic City.” Palpatine narrowed his eyes at him. “You're not getting sentimental about this, are you? I know they're your family, but I want them here, where I can personally train them. The boy will do well in the Gang once his hand heals. The girl will be my right hand worker.”

Boss,” Vader began tentatively, “I was sort of hoping to at least train Luke myself...”

You're not ready to train anyone yet.” Palpatine steepled his fingers, his pale blue eyes boring into his soul. “You still have much to learn yourself. I haven't quite forgiven you for the incident with the attack at the Cottages. Perhaps, when you win this contest, I'll consider it.”

Yes, Boss.” Privately, Vader was starting to think his boss was a dick. He'd been taken in, hook, line, and sinker. Palpatine had spent the last thirteen years saying every single word he'd wanted to hear. “I know how you can make money for your child coming. Just do a few little jobs for me...” “A few little jobs” involved burning businesses that disagreed with his boss' policies or robbing stores that refused to sell out.

The Jedi Knights had initially ignored the conflict, until their favorite watering hole, the Order 66 Diner, was burglarized and their regular beach was blocked off for development. They'd joined the Neighborhood Watch, tipped off cops when the Imperials – they called themselves the Separatists then - harassed businesses, and let Madine recruit them as unofficial deputies. He'd gone to Palpatine's original office on Hamilton Street with Officer Martin Winderson in May 1970, the only cop in Ocean View who was also a surfer, to arrest Palpatine for arson, theft, and conspiracy to commit murder.

Winderson never knew what hit him. He was stabbed to death before he even went out the window of the two-story Victorian house that had been made over into offices. Palpatine had enjoyed killing him. Vader saw the knife in his back...but he never tried to stop him.

He'd done a lot of stupid shit, before and after Winderson's death. Starting with lying to the cops that Winderson had attacked Palpatine, when it was the other way around, and ending with being one of the the gang members who helped set the Order 66 Diner fire. He just wanted to scare the Jedi and get them off his back. He hadn't realized half of them had been there...and it hadn't occurred to him that the ancient Mufasar Hotel next-door might go up with it.

It was too late for him. He was too much under Palpatine's thumb to escape him now. He'd hunt him down, no matter where he went. There was no choice about bringing him at least Luke. But Leia...maybe not her. She had that scum boyfriend and his ape buddy with her, not to mention the preppy jerk from Bespin Island and her uncle. And Yamagachi had gotten involved. Just because he had to be at least a thousand years old, give or take a year, didn't mean he wasn't trouble.

Right now, he had to focus on the contest. He would win, of course. He had to. And then...then, they would know the true power of Empire Industries and big business.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Luke?” Leia tapped her brother on the shoulder. “Are you ok? You've been kind of out of it every since we got back from Atlantic City.” They were sitting on the old sage green couch swing on the back porch of their cottage, eating flounder fillets from Ackbar's Restaurant, macaroni and cheese from a box, and tomatoes and zucchini from a neighbor's garden sauteed in oil and vegetable broth.

Leia,” he murmured, “do you remember our mother?”

Just a little bit.” She sighed. “I wish I did. I wish I remember them the way...” Her voice caught in her throat. “The way Adam does.” Her fingers rubbed his narrow shoulder gently. “Luke, I'm your twin. I know something's been troubling you for days now. I know you better than anyone.”

Leia,” he began slowly, “I'm going to turn myself over to Adam as soon as the surfing contest ends.”

She put her plate on the crab trap they used for an outdoor table. “Why?”

He's our brother.” He put his hand on hers. “I know I can save him. We can save him. Someone has to show him how much he's loved.”

Leia winced at the last word. “I'm not sure if I love him.” She pulled her hand away, as if it had been stung. “Luke, run. Join the Coast Guard. Travel to Hawaii, Florida, Norfolk. Anywhere that isn't where he is. I almost wish I could go with you.”

No, you don't.” He put his own plate aside. “You've always been strong. You're the strongest person I know. You only shot one of the biggest mob bosses in the country!” Her goofy, silly brother sighed. “All my life, you've been doing my confrontations for me. I'm not anywhere near as strong as you. I wouldn't have been able to shoot Jasper the way you did.” He looked at his broken hand. “Aunt Bertha always did say I was a lot like Adam. I might be able to talk to him, show him that what he's doing is wrong. There's still good in him, Leia. I can bring him back.”

Hey!” The duo looked down at once as Hank made his way over to their yard. “Charlie n' I were going to invite you guys to take a ride down to Harbor Bay Ice Cream Parlor on Houston Avenue. Lance n' the Rogues are going, too. Wedge told me they have chocolate milkshakes the size of small bathtubs and a great view of the entrance to Roseman's Landing.”

Luke waved him up to the porch. “We'll join you in a minute!” He scooped the last of the macaroni and cheese into his mouth. “You done with yours, sis?”

Yeah.” She handed him his plate as he made his way into the house.

What's with all the glum faces?” Hank put his arms around her as soon as she came down to the yard. “This is a holiday weekend! The last weekend of the summer! You should be happy! Tomorrow, we're going to kick Vader's ass, he'll get arrested, and Charlie and I will take you back up to Philly to school.”

It's...nothing.” She turned away from him. “I just want to be alone for a minute.”

Nothing?” Hank waved his big brown hand at the porch. “You and Luke looked like you were about to be marched to your executions. That's not nothing.”

I...” She finally turned around to him. He hated to see how haunted her soft brown eyes were. “I can't tell you. Not now. I barely understand it myself.”

Don't you trust me?” Hank glared at her. “All this, everything in Atlantic City and Bespin Island, and you still don't trust me?”

Leia wiped fiercely at her dark eyes. “Oh, you're impossible!” She'd started back towards the porch when Hank grabbed her hand.

Not once, during the entire summer, had Hank ever seen Leia cry. Not at Bespin. Not after the incident with the botched block party at the Phineas Estate. Not in Atlantic City. Not even when she was rescued from Alderaan Island. “Sweetheart, what is it?” He pushed his glasses up his nose again. “What happened?”

She gazed up at him, her eyes swimming with hot tears. “Hold me.”


He wrapped his long arms around her, rubbing her back and letting her sob onto his old Doobie Brothers t-shirt and black cotton vest. He wouldn't let anyone hurt her. It would take a whole army of Imperials to get past him. No one was going to hurt her or Luke ever again. Not if he had anything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment