Friday, October 20, 2017

Introduction - The Summer Strikes Back

I began this Star Wars fanfic last year, but stopped it after Part 6 due to other concerns and the end of the real-life summer. After The Adventures of the Crimson Hawk came out so well, I thought I'd dust this one off and give it another chance as my second novel. I think I did pretty well on it, considering part of it is older material.

The Summer Strikes Back was originally inspired by this series of fan art by Italian comic artist Denis Medri I found on DeviantArt  back in December 2015. I loved the idea of writing Star Wars as a 1980's action-comedy, but had a hard time working with the high school setting. I was four years old in 1983. I knew nothing about high school in the 80's besides what I'd seen in John Hughes movies.

I did, however, know about the Jersey Shore. I grew up in Cape May, a small town on the very tip of New Jersey, in the 1980's and early 90's. Switching the setting from a small fictional Philadelphia high school in 1983 to a small fictional Jersey Shore town in the summer of 1983 made everything click. I was able to make ample use of not only my memories, but my family's memories of the Shore during that time period. This is now a tribute to all the comedies of the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's that had a small band of misfits gathering together to rescue some place close to them from evil snobs, developers, or corporate types.

Major warning that this is intended to be my first full-fledged adult novel. There's violence, adult themes, a brief reference to nudity and sex in Part 15, drinking, references to drug use, and quite a bit of swearing. If this were a movie, it would be an R. Despite the child characters in the later parts, this is for ages 15 and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment