Friday, October 20, 2017

The Summer Strikes Back, Epilogue

Cottage #1, Cottage by the Sea, Ocean View, New Jersey, 2015

Well, what happened after that?”

Huh?” Luke Walker looked into the eyes of his adopted daughter more than 30 years later. “Well, there's not much to tell. You pretty much know the rest. I joined the Coast Guard after Christmas, when my hand was fully healed. Stayed with them until Uncle Ben died of cancer in 2002. He left me the Cottages and his remaining vintage surfboards in his will.” He patted the slightly splintered wooden steps of his cottage. “I took him up on the offer. I was working at the Coast Guard Academy in Cape May by that point. Figured this would be a nice place to retire.”

Rey's friend Finn leaned over the porch railing. “And two decades later, Leia become Governor of Pennsylvania.”

I'm more interested in when she figured out she was pregnant.” Rey smirked. “Considering Ben's age, it must have happened right after they moved in together, maybe even during the summer.”

Luke laughed at the knowing look on her face. “Yeah, Leia announced her pregnancy around Thanksgiving. Ben was born in February.”

It must have been rough,” Poe, now a young man, added from the metal couch, “going to college while you were having a baby.”

From what Hank said, it wasn't easy.” Luke shrugged. “But you know Leia. She's tough. She not only passed her classes with flying colors, she was valedictorian. Hank, little Ben, Charlie, Ben Kenobi, and I went to her graduation. The Rogues held a massive party at Hobbie's apartment in South Philly, most of which I don't remember to this day.”

Poe frowned. “When did Hank and Leia break up?”

Yeah.” Rey played with the strings on her hoodie. “From what you said, they were pretty into each other.”

That happened after little Ben was caught robbing hotels with a bunch of his buddies in downtown Philly and at the Shore when he was supposed to be away at Drexel.” Luke sighed. “They blamed each other. Hank and Charlie went back to full-time fishing.” He put an arm around Rey. “I know they were talking about offering you a job.”

If I accept it,” Rey insisted, “I'm going to talk to Uncle Hank about Aunt Leia. I think he still likes her.”

To be honest, so do I.” The older man stroked his beard. “Maybe we could set them up with a dinner at my cottage or something.”

What happened to everyone else?” Finn sat down on the other side of Luke. “Jyn, the Rogues, and all the rest?”

I know some of it.” Poe shrugged. “My dad is still running his two shops on the boardwalk and in town. He's talking about retiring. Snap Wexley and I may take it over. Snap considered going to the police academy like his mom, but he doesn't think he has the stomach for it.”

Jyn and Cassian live in Holly Beach, near Cassian's family. They took over Jyn's dad's construction business when he died.” Luke grinned. “Jyn works with the construction crews, and Cass runs the business aspects. They built the new D'Qar Villas where the Coruscant Condos used to be, among others.”

Poe made a face. “Thrawn was taking bribes, among other things, from Empire Industries. He wasn't arrested, but was stripped of his mayoral position. I think I heard he's working for what used to be Empire Industries now. They were spun off into something called First Order.”

Chirrut and Baze still have their place.” Rey rubbed her stomach. “The boys and I just ate there yesterday. They make the best hot and sour soup at the Jersey Shore.”

Yoda finally died in 1985.” Luke shook his head. “I got to talk to him a few more times before he finally passed on. I never learned more about surfing than I did from him.”

And Ahsoka still has her show,” Poe added, “though she's mainly on late at night now.”

Jan Dodonna passed away in 1999. His family runs the Green Yavin Hotel,” Luke continued. “Carl Rieekian retired from his shoe store, but his daughters run it now. By the way, he was asking about you the other day, Rey. Wanted to know if you'd decided on college yet.”

Not yet.” Rey made a face. “I might just work a year to make money, then see how I feel.”

Finn grinned widely. “Maz is still around. We saw her a couple of days ago, when we were up on the boardwalk. She's still selling tickets at the Marine Adventure Pier.”

Wish she hadn't scrapped the Kamakazi Star after the fire.” Poe frowned. “That was my first roller coaster.”

I miss it too, and the Whacky Shack. And I'd like to spank those two kids who were fooling around on the pier and burned Dracula's Dungeon down,” Luke grumbled.

Dad kept in touch with the Wicket family after they moved out of town in 1987.” Poe pulled his old Air Force jacket around his arms. “Davy Wicket's currently living in Mount Airy with his wife and three sons. He writes sci-fi novels and fantasy screenplays. You might have heard about his movie about the family of little people who find a magical baby and rescue her from an evil witch.”

I love that movie!” Finn's smile was infectious. “I'm such a sucker for cult fantasy.”

What happened to Uncle Adam?” Rey asked softly. “You don't mention him often, Dad.”

I don't talk about him because I have no idea where he is.” Luke stroked his beard, his voice softer. “Adam went on trial that March. He was eventually found guilty on charges of murder, grand theft, conspiracy, harassment, and arson. He and most of his boys were sent to the New Jersey State Penitentiary for twenty years. Adam got out early on account of good behavior. He dropped by the Cottages once, in May of 2000, to tell me he wanted to start over on the West Coast and we shouldn't try to seek him out. I'm guessing he did. Leia and I haven't heard from him since.”

Poe narrowed his eyes. “Dad told me Brendol Hux got out of the charges. His came from one of those rich old Philly families. His son Armie is buddy-buddy with Ben Solo. I hear they're campaigning for Trump now.”

Luke could see the angry light in Poe's eyes when he mentioned Trump and quickly changed the subject. “Hera's also still fishing. Kanan retired after he started having trouble with his eyes, but Zeb and Chester's remain as her crew.” Luke nodded. “Ezra's an English and journalism teacher at Lower Ocean View Regional High School. Sabine's a commercial artist in Brooklyn.” Rey loved her dad's sweet smile. It made his whole face light up. “They had Pinchy for years. He lived longer than most lobsters who had been out of the water for weeks do. Hera told me they've kept lobsters for pets ever since.”

Chip's with Aunt Leia. He's her secretary and translator.” Rey giggled. “I know, because she talks about how much his fussing drives her crazy whenever she's here.”

Arturro popped his head of graying curls out from under the cottage. “Yeah, I know,” Luke told him “I'll call about getting the wi-fi in the cottages fixed as soon as I can.”

Poe chuckled. “And Arturro came back here and became a computer consultant. And we still can't understand a word he says.”

You know, Rey, there's something I want to show you.” Luke lead her to the back of the cottage. Finn and Poe shrugged and followed them. “I think you're old enough for it now.”

Rey's brown eyes lit up like fireworks as Luke pulled out Twilight. “Wow, Dad! Is this Uncle Adam's board? The one in the story?”

It's yours now.” Luke patted her on the back. “I thought you might like to take it out for a swim before your Uncle Hank gets back, and you decide what to do. Maybe I could even teach you some of the things Yoda taught me. After all, it has to go somewhere, and little Ben isn't a fan of surfing.”

Teach all of us!” Finn reached for a copper-colored board with a red stripe.

I'll go get mine!” Poe dashed off to his cottage.

Please, Dad.” Rey's big dark eyes pleaded with him. “I want to learn the ways of the Jedi and become a great surfer, like you and Uncle Adam.”

Well, you can't do that until you're in the water.” Luke grabbed a pink board behind her. “Last one in is a rotten hermit crab!”

He laughed as he chased the trio across the street, stopping only to take a brief look at the Cottages, his weathered, battered, beautiful homes, before following them onto the sand.


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment