Friday, October 20, 2017

The Summer Strikes Back, Part 11

Luke spent a lot of his week at Uncle Ben's bed side. Indeed, while his sister was getting ready for her date with Hank, he was playing poker with his uncle. “Are you sure you're not cheating?” Ben threw down his cards, but he was grinning. “That's the fourth hand in a row you've won.”

No, I've been playing with the guys in the evening. Biggs and Tycho taught me a few things.” Luke dragged the bag of M&Ms over to his side of the bed. “Come to Papa.”

Ben started shuffling the deck. “How's your surfing coming?”

Luke swallowed the handful of chocolate candies he'd tossed in his mouth. “Not well. I've been in the water more than on the board. I guess I've been distracted, what with everything going on.”

If you're going to win that surfing contest you set up, you'll need to concentrate.” The older man dealt the cards. They moved so quickly, they were practically a blur. “I heard from Yoda Yamagachi the day before that party. He thought he might like to show you a few moves.”

The boy's blue eyes lit up like fireworks. “Do you really think he'd teach me? You said he was the best.”

I don't know. He can be a bit cranky. I suppose it's his age.” Ben's eyes vanished behind his cards. “I could talk to him when I get out of the hospital. See what he says.”

I'd love that. Thanks, Uncle Ben.” Luke pulled out two cards, trying to mimic his uncle's serene expression. “Uncle Ben, do you think Adam would be proud of me, if he were still alive? Leia, too.”

Ben's smile was quavery. “I think so. He was so excited when he found out your mother was having twins, especially after her only son was already in his teens. It was a rare thing to have children so late in life then. He treated us all to an early-morning breakfast at Dexter's Diner on Roseman's Landing to celebrate. Ahsoka used to love babysitting you two when you were tiny, before she dropped out of the group.”

Luke looked up at the unfamiliar name. “Ahsoka. You mentioned her before. You said she was a friend of my brother's.”

His uncle nodded. “That, she was. She was a lot younger than us, probably thirteen or fourteen or so when she first joined the group, but she could surf better than a lot of boys twice her age. Old Paul Koon taught her since she could stand on a surfboard. Adam sort of took her under his wing, so to speak.” Ben's smile crinkled mischievously around the edges. “Can you keep a secret?”

His nephew grinned. “I could try. What is it?”

Ben picked up another card. “I know who Fulcrum is. I could even set up an interview when I get out of the hospital tomorrow.”

Could you?” Luke's eyes widened hopefully. “If she was the DJ at a our block party, we could triple sales. Everyone wants to know who she is! Trouble is, I can never seem to catch her at the station. I've always just missed her, or she's on the air.”

I could try. Haven't seen her in a while, but she might be willing to talk to an old friend.” Ben put down his hand. “Royal flush.” He gave his surprised nephew a serene smile. “Seems my luck is improving.”

Yeah.” Luke pushed half the M&Ms at Ben. “Mine, too.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Two days later, Luke nervously entered the WACZ offices in Atlantic City. True to his word, Uncle Ben had called Fulcrum...Miss Tano the day after he'd left the hospital. He was even able to set up an interview with her while she was on a commercial break.

Wow,” Luke murmured. The radio station at his school in Philly was nothing like this. There were so many dials and knobs and buttons, many of them blinking like red and green traffic signals. Papers were stacked in slanted wooden shelves and hung on a bulletin board in front of them. Eight-tracks and records were stacked next to state-of-the-art players. A mylar banner proclaiming “WACZ – Rock the Shore” glistened over the bulletin board.

Hi there, son.” A beautiful, dark-skinned woman in her early thirties came in, carrying something steaming in a Styrofoam cup. The steam ruffled her long, spiky hair, with its bright blue and white tips. “May I help you?”

Oh!” He shook her hand. “I'm Luke Walker, Ben Kenobi's nephew. Sort of. Actually, he's not my real uncle, but he's been a good friend of the family for as long as I can remember.”

The woman nodded. She wears one of those cut-off sweatshirts over a black tank top, tight jeans, and sandals. “You look like him, Luke. Your dad, I mean. Your brother did, too.”

Luke's wide blue eyes and eager grin made him look like a hopeful golden retriever puppy. “He told me you were closer to Adam than anyone.”

Yeah.” She sipped her steaming drink. “We were best friends, Adam, Patti Mae, Ben, and me. We used to get into so much trouble...”

So Uncle Ben says.” Luke blushed, then handed her the flier he'd been clutching and an envelope with money. “Here. I was hoping we could hire you. Empire Industries is trying to buy the Cottages By the Sea and tear them down to build a huge new resort.”

I heard about that.” Miss Tano made a face, pushing her drink aside. “Soon, there won't be any historic hotels left in this town. Why can't those assholes respect history? Pardon my language there, Luke.” She swiveled to the turntable and spoke into the small microphone there. “Your favorite DJ Fulcrum is back, with a very important announcement from the son of an old, dear friend. Luke Walker, you're on the air. Tell us about that Fulcrum is going to make a personal appearance at.”

Luke grinned as he spoke into the microphone. “Hi and howdy, folks! It's your favorite surfer boy, Luke 'The Joker' Walker, here to tell you about the Block Party to Save the Island at Phineas Estate Park in Ocean View! That's right, bring the kids, the family, your favorite date to Phineas Estate Park, between Hamilton Street and Schuyler Lane in downtown Ocean View! We'll have food, a yard sale featuring top of the line kitchen equipment and surfboards, games for the little ones, and dancing to the music provided by our own DJ Fulcrum! Who is the mystery woman? Find out at the Block Party to Save the Island, this Saturday at eight AM!”

Ahsoka had to hide her smile. “Thank you, Luke Walker. Yes, I'm finally revealing myself. Meet Fulcrum at Phineas Estate Park in Ocean View at the Block Party to Save the Island! And don't forget to add a little something to the donation jars to save the Cottages By the Sea and other island businesses from being destroyed forever!”

She leaned over and plucked a single from the pile on the counter. “Now, while all of you mark your calendars for Saturday, Fulcrum's going to get you revved and ready for the big date. Hope you've got your dancing shoes on, 'cause The Clash is gonna 'Rock the Casbah.'” Ahsoka leaned back, grinning. “Hey, you're pretty good at this. You ever considered doing the radio professionally?”

I did appear on the radio station at our school sometimes, but I didn't really have the time for a full show.” Luke shrugged. “I had to help my uncle at his shop a lot, when wasn't playing baseball, or surfing, or appearing in the school musical, or hanging out with my friends in Philly.”

Ahsoka chuckled. “You're so much like Adam. He surfed and played baseball too, before he entered the Army.” Her dreamy smile was far-away. “I remember the day you and your sister were born. Adam was so excited! He was like a little kid who just got the best toy ever. He treated all the Jedi Knights to milkshakes at Order 66 Diner, next-door to the Mufasar Hotel. He was so excited! He never thought his parents would have more kids, and then, when it turned out his mother was having twins, he was over the moon. He swore he'd be the best big brother ever.”

What happened to him, Miss Tano?” Luke's blue eyes shined wistfully. “I don't really remember much about him. Uncle Ben said Vader killed him, along with most of the other Jedi Knights.”

I don't know about that. I'd left the group by then.” The older woman sighed. “Even before that, he'd changed. Adam was dating a girl named Patti Mae Anderson pretty seriously. They'd been friends for years. Her family was from one of those old money Philly suburbs. I liked her. She treated me like a sister. She was so pretty and elegant. Adam worshiped the ground she stood on.” She pushed her coffee cup aside. “I heard she died in the early 70's. Don't know what happened to her.”

Uncle Ben's mentioned her once or twice. I'll have to ask him about her.” Luke gave her a shy smile. “Maybe we could talk more about Adam and Patti at the block party? I want to know everything about him.”

Ahsoka's smile was wistful. “I'd like that. And you can call me Asha.” She put out her hand. “See you Friday?”

Luke nodded eagerly, giving her hand a firm shake. “See you Friday!”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Leia kept her eyes on the weather all week. There had been two stormy days in a row. She'd spent those days taking care of Uncle Ben and rushing from cottage to cottage, making sure everyone had enough water and food and knew all the evacuation routes. “Relax, sweetheart,” Hank reassured her Friday evening as they ate pizza at their place. “The storm's supposed to blow out late tonight. I've been listening to the National Weather Service on my radio all morning. They know what they're doing.”

What if they don't?” Leia picked at the pepperoni on her pizza. “What if it rains all day tomorrow, too? Will we have to reschedule? What about Ahsoka? How are we going to explain this? There's the City Council meeting in two weeks, too. I sent out my note to Senator Mothma that we need her help. I read that she lived at the Shore for years before she went into politics.”

I don't know if you've noticed, but you're tearing your poor pepperoni to shreds.” Hank gently took the round piece of meat and put her pizza triangle aside. “Princess, I know you're worried. Everything is going to be fine. Trust me.” He tugged another slice of sausage and peppers out of the other box. “You'll be fine without me. Charlie and I are going to leave Saturday afternoon, as soon as the block party's over.”

What?” Luke looked up from watching The Dukes of Hazzard on Hank's tiny portable TV. “But you'll miss the surfing contest!”

Charlie looked up from Boss Hogg's latest hi-jinks. “This is news to me, mate. I thought we were staying until the end of the summer.”

That was until Wednesday night.” Hank swallowed the end of his piece. “Charlie, they're not going to leave us alone until we get them that money.”

I don't think this is right, mate, but you do what you want.” Charlie's eyes returned to Boss Hogg and Sheriff Roscoe.

Leia finally stood. “I'm not hungry. Luke, let's go. We need to talk to Hera. She just came in yesterday. We might be able to get her and Zeb to help out once Hank and Charlie leave.”

Aw, Leia,” Luke complained, “the episode isn't done yet! They haven't said if Sheriff Roscoe's gonna be Lawman of the Year. Besides, it's still raining.”

It's not raining hard. And anyway, a little water won't hurt you.” Leia reached for her bright red umbrella. “It's not like we're going far.”

Luke sighed. He was no good at arguing with his sister. “All right. I'll see you guys tomorrow.” He grabbed a final slice of pepperoni pizza and scooped up his own umbrella with the green and blue stripes. “Tell me what happens in that episode, Charlie! I missed it the first time around. Mara Jenson and I were necking, and one thing lead to another...and, er, I didn't see much.” He blushed as Charlie and Hank grinned wickedly. “Uh, bye!”

Hank laughed. “Didn't think the kid knew what sex was. Thought the only things he loved were his surfboard and his sister.”

Charlie gave Hank a hard stare as he snatched the last slice of sausage and peppers. “Hank, why are we leaving tomorrow? For real. You're worried that Leia's going to end up dead like Brianna, ain't ya? 'Cause of you and her causes.”

What are you talking about? We have jobs to do. We should have left weeks ago.” Hank threw down the last slice. “You can have the rest of this. I'm going to check our navigational maps. In a few weeks, we'll be in Mexico, and we can forget all of this ever happened.”

Charlie just shrugged. “Sure, mate. Sure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment