Friday, June 5, 2015

The Adventures of the Crimson Blade 9

The First Floor Hallway, An Hour Later

Victor arrived as Maple and Elizabeth were. “Any luck finding Sherwood?”

Elizabeth shook her head sadly. “None. He's nowhere in the main building.”

I could check the Servants' Quarters. Perhaps he make it there after all.” Maple sneezed. “I need to get back, anyway, or I will end up on floor with the rest of the staff.”

I'll take you back.” Elizabeth still felt a twinge of jealousy as Victor walked Maple to the back door. “Elizabeth, you check the carriage house. I doubt he went any further than that, unless he was carried.”

Right.” Elizabeth watched them walk off together. She still was still very fond of Victor...but she wasn't sure if what she felt was love anymore, or simply admiration. Victor never seemed to make room for her in his schedule. Scott had literally saved her life several times. Scott...

Scott could be in trouble, Elizabeth reminded herself. She hurried to get herself a cloak.

The Garden, A Few Minutes Later

Victor watched Maple Martienne as she walked across the mostly-bare courtyard. Even when she was sick, her walk...wiggled. There was no other way to describe it. Victor had to admit, it was a rather pleasing wiggle. His long strides effortlessly allowed him to catch up with her.

Maple grinned at him. “Bonjour! You know, this is tres dulche of you, taking me home like this. Even though I do not live far.”

Well, you are ill at the present time. It's only appropriate. I have to find Sherwood, too. He was the one who discovered Abernathy's machination. I'm afraid there could have been foul play committed, possibly by those ruffians who were guarding the entrance this morning.”

Oui, I am worried, too. Normally, I would say Scott is good at getting out of tight squeeze. But today, he is so tired, he would not be able to defend himsel...hims...achoo!”

Gesundheit.” He handed her his handkerchief. “Here. Yours looks like it's about to fall to ribbons.”

Merci.” She took his gratefully. “This cold came at the worst time! Although, considering what happened. I am almost glad I missed the show. I would rather be sick than silly because I am not awake.”

It is extremely fortuitous that we happened to step in when we did. Elizabeth and the Crimson Blade wouldn't have been able to deduce Abernathy's scheme on their own.”

Maple blushed. “Victor, about the Crimson Blade...”

Victor went on, watching her. “You know, it's the strangest thing. My memories of the day of my return are still very hazy, but I do distinctly remember an individual who called themselves 'The Crimson Blade' swinging out of a tree and landing on my chest.” He gave Maple a small smile. “That Crimson Blade had a larger swelling in the breast area and was far more slender, with curves in very different areas than the one whom we encountered tonight.”

Uh, oui. Perhaps he, uh, was in disguise?”

I don't believe that's the truth.” He stopped at the door. “Miss Martienne, how did you happen to come to be employed by the inn?”

By carriage. At the time, I work at a theater in Pittsburgh.”

In what capacity?”

Oh, it seat about three hundred or so.”

No, I mean, what was your position there?”

Usually I was positioned on stage right, a little off to the center, with the chorus.”

And you answered an advertisement...”

She shook her head. “Actually, Scott told me. He said the original maid left, could you take her place? I could not resist. I was a maid in France before I come here to the colonies. I'd been working for a duke in Paris who thought I was tres belle. He was going to put me up in a nice house in Cannes, but mon dieu! It turns out, he already had a wife. I left for the colonies instead. I thought it would be safer.”

Victor touched her hand. “You deserve far more than that, Miss. You're commendable at your job, a talented singer and actress...” He smiled that sweet little smile that made him almost look like a boy, “and you're a courageous and charming Crimson Blade.”

Maple stepped back in surprise. “You know? How...”

It wasn't that difficult to put the pieces together, once I was thinking clearly. There are two Crimson Blades. The man was far larger and brawnier than the woman. He spoke with an Irish lilt; her French accent matched yours perfectly. They didn't look at all like one another. It also would explain how the Crimson Blade was able to continue his activities, even after the Governor put a ridiculous price on his head. He had a confederate who aided him in pulling the wool over the eyes of the authorities.”

Maple looked in his cool brown eyes. “I thought all you cared about was the government and the colonies. You never seemed to notice the Crimson Blade, or...well, or moi. Even that night, when I land on you, all you did was tell me what I did wrong.”

I was under hypnosis! My mind wasn't fully functioning at that time!”

Or at any time.” She sneezed again. “I have been trying to get your attention since you return! You do not notice anything but your work! Do you not have any romance in your soul at all? Any feeling besides what we must do for colonies?”

He frowned. “It's true, Miss Martienne. I do get wrapped up in my work. But I do it for the Inn, and for Elizabeth, and all the Elizabeths and Maples in these colonies.” He took her hand. “I want us to be free to rule and govern ourselves. All men and women should be free, Maple. These taxes and rules that the King has imposed on us in the past few years are grievously and morally wrong. This tyranny must be stopped! Just as you use your weapons and your criminal endeavors to make that freedom a reality, I use words and speech.”

Do you love Elizabeth?”

Now he was the one blushing. “Well, yes. I mean, I thought I did, but...”

But...”

But I know she's upset over my having abandoned her, more or less, these past weeks. It couldn't be helped. I've had my work. She knows how I feel about it.”

Oui. I do, too.” Her smile turned down quickly. “What do you plan on doing about the Crimson Blade? Are you going to tell police about us?”

He sighed. “I should. You are a criminal, and the Inn could use that reward.” He frowned. “However, that would be blood money. Your aspirations seem to be noble, even if the way you go about obtaining the money isn't. I could help you find a less criminal way of earning enough to aid the staff of the Inn and the people of this village and colony.”

Merci!” She hugged him. “You have no idea how much it means to me that you keep our secret!” She turned on her enormous, white-toothed smile. “See you tomorrow, Monsieur?”

Yes, Miss Martienne. I'll be here for a few days before I'm to return to Fort Pitt to begin more talks with the military garrison.”

Maple sighed. “I'll look forward to every minute.” She watched him go around the door to the men's quarters before entering the door to the women's. I'm going to have tres bon dreams tonight, and they'll all be about Victor Comstock!

The Lobby, Later That Evening

Mackie Bloom arrived at the Monongahela Inn just as the sun was sinking behind the trees and the Servants' Quarters. He was glad to see the old place again. He'd gotten letters from the others about some kind of big show they were putting on. He wished he could have gotten home sooner and seen it, but the carriage ride from Philadelphia had been held up by a sudden spring snowstorm. All he wanted was for a hot bath and a good meal, even if he had to lug the water all the way from the river and heat it himself.

Gertrude?” He wasn't expecting the lobby to be so quiet. Usually, there was at least one or two other people milling around, or someone checking in. “Mr. Eldridge? Elizabeth? Maple?” The shadows that fell in the lobby seemed eerie in the waning afternoon sunlight. He was starting to wonder if he was the last person left in Pittsburgh.

Hello?” He made his way into the main room...and what he saw there made him stop short, his eyes wide with horror. Hilary, Jeff, Mr. Foley, and Eugenia were all laying on the stage, unconscious. Mr. Foley did seem pretty happy pillowed on Eugenia's comfortable lap. “They're dead!” Mackie wailed. “They're all dead! Someone killed them! It's murder!” He looked around. “Don't tell me there's more British spies here! I knew it was a mistake to leave the staff all alone, without my protection!”

Jeff began to stir just as he climbed onto the stage. “Mackie?”

Mackie hurried over to him, his eyes wide. “Jeff? What happened? Why does everyone look dead? And why are you wearing Hilary's lavender dress?”

It's a long story.” Mackie helped Jeff over to the edge of the stage. “Someone tried to sabotage the show. Scott told me. That's all I remember. I know things got pretty crazy towards the end. There was some man...Menlow, or something...who wanted to serve us papers from Pavla.” He looked around. “Where is Scott? And Elizabeth?”

I have no idea. I came back to find no one around and all of you passed out.”

Hilary was groaning. “I haven't felt this horrible since the last time I had an all-night tea party with Prince John Barrymore. What was in that tea we drank?”

Mackie frowned. “What tea?”

Hilary and Jeff were bringing Mackie up to date when Elizabeth hurried in. “Thank goodness you're awake! Have you seen Scott?” She smiled at Mackie and gave him a hug. “And it's nice to see you back.”

Mackie grinned. “It's nice to be back, Liz.” His grin quickly turned into concern. “But what's this about Scott being missing? You look really scared, kiddo.”

Jeff just managed to get to his feet. “Scott's gone?”

Elizabeth nodded “We've searched everywhere in and around the Inn. He isn't anywhere. I'm afraid...” She stopped, her voice trembling. “Someone could have taken him.”

Menlow.” Jeff looked at her. “Scott said Cribby Menlow is after him and Maple.”

Elizabeth frowned. “But why? Those warrants Scott told me about can't still be standing.” She shook her head. “No, I can guess. The price on Scott's head. He was after the Crimson Blade.”

Mackie looked surprised. “Liz, you know?”

Jeff frowned. “How did you find out?”

She sighed. “I'll explain later. Let's just say I know who Scott is, and that he's in danger...and Maple's probably in danger, too.”

Hilary nodded, rubbing her head. “Elizabeth, was there something in that tea? My head feels like it's stuffed with enough cotton to fill every quilt in this hotel three times over.”

Elizabeth was telling them about Abernathy and Brumpton's deception when Victor strode into the room. He looked thoughtful, and perhaps a bit distracted. He smiled and went to Mackie when he arrived. “It's good to see you back, my friend. Your presence at the Inn has been badly missed.”

He saw Elizabeth open her mouth and shook his head. “No, I haven't found Scott. It's starting to get dark. We'll start combing the village for him in the morning.” He helped Hilary to her feet. “For now, all of you need to sleep in a real bed. We still have an Inn to run.”

Victor helped Elizabeth climb off the stage. “Are you certain you're all right, Elizabeth? I know you're upset over Scott's disappearance. So am I. He had valuable information that needs to be reported to the police as soon as possible.”

I'm fine, Victor. Just fine.” Victor didn't think the haggard look in her face reflected her casual tone. She was genuinely concerned for Sherwood's welfare, and not just because of the knowledge he carried. He knew Sherwood was rather fond of Elizabeth. It was hard not to notice how often he went out of his way to be around her. He wondered what would happen when they found him. Did he want him to stay? He could certainly use his help with the managing duties. On the other hand, he wasn't sure he liked Sherwood's attentions to Elizabeth. It was unseemly to fawn over a woman so blatantly.

Then again... His eyes went to the windows that showed the back garden, and the servants' quarters. Miss Martienne is quite lovely herself, and far more intelligent than she'll admit. She did work undercover as the Crimson Blade for many months without being detected. That took some cunning. He finally shook his head. He had pamphlets to write and an inn to run. He had no time for romantic overtures. Not even to the Crimson Blade.

The Main Room, The Next Day

Hilary, won't you listen?” Jeff had been following Hilary all morning. She thought he was beginning to be a bit annoying, dogging her heels like a puppy following its master. He was there at breakfast. He served her tea before her first play. He brought her the newspaper. “Cribby Menlow is supposed to be coming around with the papers today! I'll be a free man within the week!” He took her hands. “Darling, I love you. I've never loved anyone else. Won't you please give me a chance?”

She pulled away. “I've given you chances, Jeffrey. Every time I give you a chance, you trample on it.”

I want a real wedding this time, Hilary, with real registered priests in town. No more playing games. I know what I feel for you is love. I was never in love with Pavla. She only loves power and money.” He looked into her eyes. “Will you be my wife?”

She sighed. “Jeffrey, we...well, we have a show to do.”

She was already stepping onstage when Jeff followed her. They were supposed to be appearing in a musical about a boy and a girl and a ballad today, but the last thing she felt like was singing. She had no idea how to tell Jeff the reason she couldn't marry him again. It wasn't that she didn't want to. She still cared about him. She just had...other obligations.

She was worried about Scott. Victor and Lester were out now, looking for him. No one had seen him anywhere in the Inn. None of the guests had seen him, nor their regular audience members. Poor Elizabeth was practically pacing the halls, waiting for any sign of his usual “Lizzie Lizzie Lizzie.” Maple, who claimed she felt well enough to return to work, was pale and upset.

Jeff put a hand on her shoulder as the curtain opened. “Are you all right, Mittens?”

She nodded, trying to ignore the use of the familiar nickname. “Yes, Jeffrey, I'm fine. Just fine.”

Hilary, I have to do it.” He pulled her to the front of the stage the moment the curtain rose. He bowed to the audience. “Hello, everyone! I have an announcement to make.” He turned to Hilary. “My dear one, Lady Hilary Booth, would you be my wife?”

Hilary bit her lip. “Jeff, I can't. I just...I can't.” She looked down at her frill-trimmed gloves. “I'm married to someone else.”

His eyes widened. “Hilary...” She hurried offstage. He turned to the audience. “Um, we'll be taking a five-minute break while we...sort out some difficulties with the cast.” He rushed after her.

Hilary was sitting in the parlor. “Hilary...who is it? Who did you marry?”

Hilary looked up at him, her eyes full of frustration and sadness. “Scott.”

Scott?” He frowned, sitting next to her. “Why? I thought he drove you crazy!”

Oh Pumpkin!” She turned away. “It wasn't because I love him. I mean, I like him. He can be a good friend, when he's not going a mile a minute on some scheme and actually respects me for five minutes. His heart belongs fully to Elizabeth. He married me to get some money that belongs to him. He thought my connections could help get his inheritance.”

Why did you do it?”

She finally looked at him. “I wanted to get back at you. You don't know how badly your marriage to Pavla hurt my heart and my pride. She told me you approved of her kidnapping me!”

His eyes widened in fury. “God, I want to tear her limb from limb, and I don't care if she is a woman! I would have gone to the ends of the Earth for you if I'd been there! You know I'd never do anything to harm you, ever!”

Jeffrey, you say that, but...you married her. That hurt more than all the kidnapping in the world could.”

Jeffrey took her hand. “My darling, isn't there anything I can do to prove how much I love you?”

Hilary shook her head. “I don't know, Pumpkin. I love you...but then, I can't stand you. I suppose that's how real love works. At least, that's how it works for us.”

Jeff was about to kiss her again when Mackie Bloom stuck his head in. He didn't look too happy. “Are you two going to finish this play, or am I going to have to sing 'The Ballad of Mackheath' to myself?”

We'll discuss this later.” Hilary gathered her skirts, but her walk seemed to have lost its usual haughty flounce. Jeff had never felt so defeated. If they couldn't find Scott, he'd never get him to release Hilary.

They were half-way through Act II when she came in. Mackie tapped Jeff on the shoulder just as he was about to make a rousing speech for all of the rabble in London. “Uh, Jeff,” he whispered, “don't look now, but guess what the river sharks dragged in?”

Captain Pavla DeVile sat in the front row. She was dressed as ostentatiously as ever, in a yellow flowered gown and plumed hat that left little to the imagination. Several heads turned and looked her way as she wedged between a plump woman in pink gown and a little man in a green jacket.

Jeff narrowed his eyes. “What does she want?”

Nothing good, I can tell you that.”

Jeff clenched a fist. “Mackie, I have got to talk to her the moment we step off the stage.”

Do you think that's a good idea? Not only does she usually come with about four or five really ugly and nasty pirates hanging around her, but Hilary's already mad at you. If she sees you within five millimeters of that woman, who knows what she might end up maiming?”

I told Hilary I'd prove to her that I love her, and I will. I'm going to get those papers off of her by any means necessary.”

Jeff, I don't like this. I don't trust that woman.”

I'll be all right, Mackie. I can handle her now. I know her tricks.” Jeff smiled at him and finished his speech, to thunderous applause.

Mackie wasn't too sure. He saw that familiar glint in Jeff's eyes. He had the same hard gleam when he decided to go back to Boston to take over Victor Comstock's work. The last time he'd tangled with Pavla, he'd ended up being forced into a marriage to save Victor that hadn't ended up doing anyone much good in the end, including the woman he really loved. I hope he knows what he's doing.

The Lobby, After The Play

Pavla knew he'd come. She had what he wanted – a way to return to that snotty little aristocrat of his. He can have her, she thought. She has everything – money, fortune, a title, a wealthy lover. Well, I'm going to get that, and more! I'm going to get what's coming to me.

You...you harlot of a sea siren!” Lord Jeffrey Singer held a gun right at her. “Let me out of this marriage! I never wanted to marry you. I wanted to save Victor....and you went ahead and told the British about him, anyway. You lied to me, and you put Hilary through pure hell, all to fuel your own spite and ambition!”

We can't always have what we desire, Your Lordship.” She pulled out a gun of her own. “I could always use this on your beloved Lady Booth. Or perhaps, someone else at the Inn, like your friend Herr Comstock...” Her smirk became an evil grin “Or Herr Sherwood.”

Scott?” Jeff walked around her, making sure the gun was trained on her breast. “What do you know about Scott?”

Quite a bit, actually. For instance, I know where he's been the past few days.”

Jeff poked the gun further at her. “Where is he?”

At my ship. He does have twenty thousand dollars on his head, you know. Master Menlow and I thought it would be in our best interests to bring him to our employer and collect that reward. That money will go towards buying him lots of fancy things and me a coveted position with Trevor Zanish's drama troupe.”

Take me to Scott.”

Why should I?” She aimed her gun at him. “My employer wouldn't like that. He's been after Master Sherwood...or should I say the Crimson Blade...for many years. Something about a debt he owes him.”

Jeff put down the gun. “I can't do it. I can't hurt a woman. Even one as despicable as you. If you take me to Scott, I'll put in word for you to get that position with the acting troupe. Anything you want. Just let Scott go and break that marriage contract. I really, really need to talk to Scott.”

Pavla went to him and patted his cheek. “That's a good boy.” He shoved her hand away. “My ship, the Ursula Gothel, is tied up at Dock 16 at the waterfront, near O'Malley's Bar. My new friend and I want you to meet me there as soon as you've appeared in your final play of the afternoon. You're to come alone. If Lady Booth or anyone here is with you, Sherwood won't live to rob another rich carriage.” His glare at her departing backside would have decimated whole armies.

The Main Room, Later That Evening

They'd just put on the last play of the day, a rousing adventure story about a captain who was a soldier of fortune and his young apprentice, who traveled all over the colonies finding treasure and defeating evil. Eugenia was packing up her music for the night when she saw Lord Singer duck out into the Lobby in a dark cloak. He looked like he was trying to hide. Eugenia couldn't imagine from what. Perhaps Lady Hilary? She had been awfully angry at him lately. Lady Hilary could be rather frightening when she was angry.

Your Lordship?” Jeff swirled around. “Begging your pardon, but what are you doing? You look a little nervous.”

I do?”

Yes.” Eugenia looked around. “Are you and Her Ladyship quarreling again?”

Yes...no. Not exactly.” Jeff frowned. “Eugenia, you can't tell anyone you saw me. It's a matter of life and death!”

When Lady Hilary is in a bad mood, it can be a matter of life and death, too.”

You especially can't tell Lady Hilary. If she knew, she'd try to come with me.”

Don't you want her to come with you?”

No!” He shook his head. “Eugenia, I'm going down to the docks. I'm on a...a secret mission.”

A secret mission? For the government again?”

You might say that.” He put a finger to his lips as he headed for the door. “Remember Eugenia, mum's the word!”

Well, my mother lives in Altoona Village, and I don't know if she'd be listening for any words right now. She's a little deaf.” But she said these words to an empty door. Lord Singer had already left.

The Deck of the Ursula Gothel, That Night

Oh, this is just great.” Jeff stumbled up the narrow, wobbly gangplank to the brightly-painted pirate vessel. “Where are you, Pavla? Where's Scott? Where's Cribby? Where are the papers? I brought you what you wanted. I talked to some people tonight. They'd be willing to take you at the Iron City Theater.”

He could just barely see her, stepping out of the captain's cabin. Her navy velvet cloak matched the dark night. “Hello, Lord Singer.” She put out her hand. “May I see those papers?”

He put out his hand. “Not until you give me the marriage contract and tell me where you're holding Scott Sherwood.”

Why should I?” She dangled what looked like a long piece of paper from her fingers. “After all, this paper makes me the wife of a peer of the realm. I could use your name to get me any role I chose. Or,” she slowly made her way to him, “I could even keep you around. It wouldn't hurt to have two men with means of money.” She reached up to stroke his hair.

NO!” He shoved her away. “What is with you? Victor told me you did this to him, too. Why can't you get it through your head that we aren't interested? I married you to save Victor's secret. Which, I may remind you, you told the British about anyway. I don't want to stay married to a traitor like you any longer than I have to. It's Hilary I love. You wouldn't understand.”

Maybe I don't understand. I never had...love. Not like you and that spoiled brat of an aristocrat of yours.”

Don't you dare call Hilary that! She's more of a woman than you'll ever be!” And I won't have her back unless I can find out where she has Scott. He tried to keep his fingers from wrapping around Pavla's throat. “Where's Scott Sherwood?”

Locked in the hold.” She smirked. “I really don't want to let Sherwood go. There is a reward for his capture, after all. The Governor wants him badly.” She held out the contract. “You wouldn't know who the other Crimson Blade is, would you?”

What other Crimson Blade? You have Scott.”

There are two Crimson Blades.” She walked closer to him. “My first mate was attacked by the Crimson Blade at the waterfront shortly before Christmas. That Crimson Blade was unmistakably female. I believe the words he used were “va-va-vavoom.” She chuckled. “Sherwood is handsome, in a roguish way, but those are not the words I'd use to describe him.”

I have no idea who she is. I wasn't even there then. I was in Boston.”

She started getting closer to him as he moved back towards the captain's quarters. “One more thing. A friend of the Governor's rather badly wants to buy the Monongahela Inn, but someone else got it before he could. You wouldn't know who owns it now?”
I don't know that, either. Everyone at the Inn's been wondering the same thing.” He looked around. “Where's Cribby Menlow? Shouldn't be be with you? He was supposed to serve those papers.”

Oh, he's making a little deal with the Governor for your friend Sherwood.” Jeff fingered his pistol, but she grabbed his hand. “Oh, no. Don't start thinking that way, husband.”

I AM NOT YOUR HUSBAND!” He started to raise the pistol, but she smacked his hand. The gun flew to the deck.

That was very stupid of you.” Pavla got to it first, pointing it straight at him. “You're such a naive boy. You really believed I'd let a prize like the Crimson Blade go free, just because some empty-headed lord asked for it?” She pushed him with the gun. “Besides, you're a fine prize yourself. There's quite a few British military officers who wouldn't mind asking you about your activities in Boston.”

No!” Jeff lunged for her, but he was met by three of her men coming from beneath the ship. They grabbed his arms hard, dragging him back.

Pavla lifted his chin with the muzzle of the gun. “Throw my foolish husband into the hold with Sherwood. I'm sure the Governor will be very interested in everything he knows about Johnathan Arnold.” He struggled as hard as he could, but the men were all larger than him in three directions. They finally dragged him into the bowels of the ship.

She put the pistol in her pocket as her first mate hurried up to her. “So, what's your next order, Captain? Are we gonna do another raid? Some keelhauling? Buried treasure?”

No.” She patted his shoulder. “How would you and your men like a little shore leave? I know you have to be bored. We've been tied up here for nearly a week.” She smirked. “And you could bring me the third man our employer wanted – the famous Jonathan Arnold himself.”

The Hold of the Ursula Gothel, A Few Minutes Later

Pavla's men dragged Jeff down into the bowels of the ship. How could I have been so stupid? He wondered. Why did I fall for that trap?

The men finally opened a heavy, barred door well below-decks, close to the water line. “Here ya go, mate. Your new home away from home while the boss lady decides when she's gonna have ya.”
Jeff's eyes blazed. “I wouldn't touch that contemptible hussy if she were the last woman on Earth!”

The man turned to his friends with a short bark that might have been a laugh. “Do ya hear that, boys? Skinny thinks he has a choice!”

I'm not that thin!” Jeff protested as they shoved him through the door. Jeff heard them lock the door, their raucous laughter echoing through the ship.

Jeff?” Scott Sherwood looked up from the crates he'd made into a rough bed. “What are you doing here?” His eyes were bleary, and there were noticeable bruises on his arms and shoulders under the remains of his tattered crimson shirt.

I came to save you.” Jeff sighed and settled down next to him. “Now it looks like we both need saving.”

Jeff, is everyone all right?” He frowned. “Pavla won't give me any details. What happened with Abernathy and Brumpton?”
To my knowledge, Abernathy and Brumpton were arrested for criminal conspiracy and are being held at the Pittsburgh Village jail. Mackie's home. He was kind of scared when he came in and saw us passed out after the show, but he seems all right now.”

And Elizabeth?”

She's fine. She was terribly upset about you disappearing into thin air. She's had the whole inn turning Pittsburgh inside-out searching for you ever since the last day of 'When In Rome.'”

My poor lass! She must be worried sick.” Scott rubbed his shoulder. “Pavla, Cribby, and their apes attacked me while I was alone in the parlor room and too drugged to fight back. They trussed me up like a Christmastide goose and carted me to the ship. The apes thought the best way to wake me up and get me talkin' was with heavy truncheons. I'm lucky my arms and collarbone aren't broken. My face would be, if I hadn't turned from them in time.”

Jeff turned to look at him. “Scott, do you love Elizabeth?”

With all my heart, lad. I've never loved any woman more.”

Then why did you marry Hilary?”
I did...and I didn't. It was a scheme. I wanted what was rightfully mine. She wanted something she could hold over you.” He gave him a half-hearted grin. “If it's any consolation, I was very, very drunk at the time. I had the devil of a headache the next day.”

Scott, as soon as I can get to Cribby, I'll sign those papers, and I'll be free. I need you to release Hilary from her marriage contract. I love her. I love her more than I've ever loved any woman. I love her more than life itself, more than the air I breathe.”

I believe you. You can save the poetry for our next Shakespearean performance.” He sighed. “You're the lucky one. You adore Hilary, and she loves you, too. Even if” he grinned “she has an odd way of showing it.” He looked into Jeff's eyes. “The marriage papers are fakes. They're very good fakes, made by someone I know at the Pittsburgh Town Hall, but they're fakes. I was hoping they'd be enough to pull the wool over Pruitt's eyes.”

Why is this inheritance so important to you that you'd fake a marriage and risk prison and even death?”

Pruitt took everything from me. I wanted a way to humiliate him, make him feel the pain I once felt. He put conditions on my family's money that one had to be married to gain it. He probably thought I'd never take a wife after Elizabeth spurned me.” Scott chuckled. “He didn't count on the vengeance of one Lady Hilary Booth.”


Jeff grinned. “Few people do.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment