Friday, June 5, 2015

Introduction - The Adventures of the Crimson Blade

First of all, for those of you who have been following it on my regular blog, yes, this is the story I've been working for the past month and a half. It can also be found at Fanfiction.net and my Remember WENN fanfiction website, but I thought I'd use it to inaugurate this blog as well.

First of all, to have any understanding of this story at all, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the wonderful AMC comedy-drama Remember WENN. Linda Young's outstanding website will tell you all the details you need to know about this show:

Linda Young's Remember WENN Website

All but five of the episodes are currently available on YouTube. (Which greatly aided me in the writing of this story, incidentally.) Here's the link for the pilot episode, "On the Air" - if you want to see more, you can take it from there.

On the Air

In brief, Remember WENN was cut off unceremoniously on three cliffhangers at the end of season four. Those cliffhangers were never resolved. While I did write my own endings to the cliffhangers in the late 90's and early 2000's, I thought I'd try a different tack. From 1997 through 2001, I wrote a series of "spoofs," comic tales of the WENN characters in various genres and settings. I did a western, a romantic hospital story, a Robin Hood variant, a version of The Nutcracker, and an Indiana Jones-type treasure-hunting adventure, among others.

I had many more ideas for spoofs I never got to before I lost interest in the show. Among those were a dashing swashbuckler set during the Revolutionary War, with the cast as the staff of an inn just prior to the Revolutionary War. I was never able to hash out the rest of the plot...until a month and a half ago. After I started watching the show again, the wheels began turning, and I started wondering how I would finish those still-standing cliffhangers almost 20 years later.

WENN's head writer Betty Roberts and actress Maple LaMarsh are also wondering how they'd finish up a program. It's February 1942, and the WENN series The Crimson Blade also just ended on three cliffhangers. Betty and Maple wonder how they'd finish the story if they had the chance. They end up re-writing the series around them, their co-workers, and all the adventures they'd faced, turning a cliffhanger into an epic historical adventure-romance...

No comments:

Post a Comment