Friday, June 5, 2015

The Adventures of the Crimson Blade 10

The Basement of the Monongahela Inn, At That Same Moment

This is getting worse and worse by the minute.” Mackie, Hilary, Maple, and Lester sat together around an old table in the center of the room. Mackie was shaking his head. “We've lost C.J and our boys, no one can find Scott anywhere, Pavla's on the prowl again, and Crowley wants the Inn!”

Hilary sighed. “Thank you for catching up all of our audience reading at home. That doesn't help us figure out what to do next.” She shook her head. “We need help. We're up against a notorious pirate, an Innkeeper with connections to the newspapers and the military, a well-known bounty hunter, and the governor of this colony.” She tapped her fingers on the table. “And my Jeff is missing, too. I haven't seen him since the final play of the evening.”

Mackie nodded. “Me either. Pavla was here. She was in the audience. I wouldn't put it past her to try something on him. He is still her husband by law, if not in spirit.”

Ooooohhh!” Hilary yelped. “If that witchy little piece of German wiener schnitzel has spirited away with my Jeffrey, I'll turn her into a spirit...with my bare hands!”

Shhh!” Maple hissed. “Someone may hear us!” She made a face. “Ok, so we know Pavla's back in town, and that she's up to no good. Cribby is still here, too. He hasn't brought those papers around yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he is involved with Scott's vanishing into canned air, too.”

I'm certain the phrase is 'vanishing into thin air,' Miss Martienne.” The four at the table stood as Victor Comstock appeared at the doorway. “It does, however, very much describe how Mr. Sherwood has seemed to evaporate into the twilight.”

A whole parade trooped into the basement behind him. “This is amazing!” Eugenia Bremer gushed.

You wanted more help.” Gertrude grinned. “Here it is!”

Oh my!” Mr. Eldridge looked around him. “This has been here all the time! Imagine the mathematics that went into making this room!” Mr. Foley nodded in agreement.

Maple groaned. “We need to install lock on door to basement! Where did all of you come from?”

Victor stood next to her. “The upstairs rooms. It was obvious, Miss Martienne. The Crimson Blade's occupations all revolved around this inn. He and his people weren't meeting anywhere else in the main building, or we would have witnessed them. The carriage house is too drafty and can be seen easily from the street. This is the only room in the Inn that isn't frequently inhabited. It's quiet and well-hidden. The windows are only visible from the garden, and just barely from the servants' quarters.”

Hilary nodded. “Jeff, Mackie, and I all found this room in more-or-less the same way.”

Elizabeth frowned. “Do any of you have any idea of what happened to Scott?”

Mackie shook his head. “Not a clue, Liz. Jeff's missing, too.”

Oh, he's fine!” Eugenia said brightly. “I saw him earlier tonight, after the play. He said he was on a secret mission, and I wasn't to tell my mother.”

Yeah, he was on a secret mission, all right.” Cribby Menlow made his way down the rickety stairs. “A secret mission to get himself tossed in the hoosegow by my woman.”

Victor Comstock nodded. “Everyone, meet Mr. Cribby Menlow, a tracker and bounty hunter. Hilary, he's the one who was to serve the papers suing Jeffrey for abandonment.”

He didn't abandon her! She abandoned him!”

Cribby put up a hand. “I know that, ma'am. I watched you people durin' that little show you put on the other day. You an' Lord Singer really have something cookin' there.” He smirked. “I think Captain DeVile is more my type. I can give her what even Lord Singer can't – a rich theater producer for a husband.”

Victor raised an eyebrow. “But there are no rich trackers...and most bounty hunters don't live long enough to make that kind of money.”

He pulled a large bag of coins out of his pocket. “This is the reason I was late. I got twenty thousand dollars from Governor Pruitt for finding one of the Crimson Blades.” He revealed a large pile of gold coins. “This should be enough for the two of us to live in comfort for a little while, maybe get her a role or two, then leave her high and dry after the money runs out.”

Hilary grinned. “I think that's more than Pablum deserves, don't you?”

Elizabeth's eyes were frightened. “What happened to Scott Sherwood? Where is he?”

Cribby's face fell. “I didn't know I was sellin' the guy into slavery...”

You WHAT?!” Maple and Elizabeth both leaped at him at the same time.

Cribby ducked away. “Look girls, I got the money for trackin' him down. Sellin' people ain't in my job description.”

I believe selling a human being is illegal in this colony,” Victor added, fire in his own light brown eyes. “No wonder Pruitt has been so assiduously pursuing Sherwood. He considers him to be little more than a piece of renegade property.”

It is illegal, which is the other reason I don't do it. I find jail birds. I don't wanna join 'em.” He joined the others at the table. “Sherwood's being held at Pavla's ship, the Ursula Gothel, at the waterfront. Pruitt's gonna collect him tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if Singer was there by now, too.”

That doesn't leave us much time.” Victor turned to the others. “We're working together now. It doesn't matter if you're a noble or a maid, an actor or an innkeeper. We all have a common goal and a common struggle. We all want these colonies to be free of people like Crawley and Pruitt, who will eliminate smaller businesses and abuse power and human lives for their own gain.”

Elizabeth nodded. “Why don't we take this upstairs? Now that we're all on the same page, it might be easier to figure out a plan of attack in a room that isn't as stuffy.”

I agree.” Hilary pulled out a dainty handkerchief and sneezed into it. “When things are back to normal, you might want to consider sending someone down here with a broom. This room is filthy.”

Cribby nodded. “Yeah, I've gotta get outta here. Pavla's probably wonderin' where I am.” He frowned. “You've gotta be here by first light. We're shovin' off early tomorrow mornin', after Pruitt picks up Sherwood.”

Elizabeth set her jaw. “We will be. We won't let him take Scott, or anyone else!”

Cribby nodded. “I'll stall Pavla. I'll meet the rest of you at Dock 13 at the first light.” He hurried out the door that went into the garden.

Victor stopped Maple before she could join the others going upstairs. “Miss Martienne, you're very worried about Sherwood, aren't you?”

Oui. He is mon ami, my dear friend. We have fought and worked together for many years.”

Your loyalty to him is tremendous. You truly respect and...love...him, don't you?”

She stopped for a few minutes, thinking...and then, she grinned slyly. “Victor Comstock, are you jealous?”

Me? Not at all!” He frowned. “How did you first happen to encounter him?”

Maple leaned against the railing, remembering. “I'd just arrived in Boston. I knew no one in the colonies. I could barely speak English.” Her eyes closed. “I was still on the docks when two men came up to me. I thought they want to give me job. I didn't understand what they say. What they really wanted was to try to do harm to my womanhood. I fought them with hands, but they were very strong. They drag me to alley.” She sighed. “Scott heard noise and came to investigate. I had kicked one of men in rear front by then. He get other against wall with sword and throw them out of alley.”

She smiled, her eyes opening. “I didn't know what he said, but I got some idea that it had to do with food and not harming womanhood.” She grinned. “We did do...things...later, but we were never that serious. He was more like mentor and friend than lover. My brothers already taught me to fight with hands. He taught me to fight with swords, to work on a ship and a horse, and how to steal and not get caught.”

He smiled his little boy grin again. She grabbed the railing to keep her knees upright. “You're an incredibly courageous woman, Miss Martienne. I've never intersected with a person of the opposite sex who is anything like you.”

Whatever you just said, I will take it as compliment.”

The Main Room, A Few Minutes Later

Victor and Maple quickly met the others at the now-silent stage. “We need to find out where they're keeping the rest of the Crimson Blade's men, including C.J,” Mackie was saying.

Victor nodded. “I agree.” He was already retrieving his cape from the hall press in the lobby. “While the rest of you learn what's became of them, I'll ride to Fort Pitt and alert the military there. I think they should know about more about the Governor's criminal endeavors these past few years. Besides, there's information I still need to give them about the British and their plans for General Washington's troops.”

Elizabeth went to Victor's side. Maple sat on one of the benches intended for the audience, frowning. Elizabeth's brown eyes were frightened. “Victor, please be careful. You don't need to die again. There are thieves on the road who aren't nearly as noble as the Crimson Blade and his people, not to mention Pruitt's men are out there somewhere.”

I'm certain I won't encounter any difficulties on the road. It's only a short journey from the Inn to Fort Pitt.” He wrapped his cloak around his shoulders. “I'll return as quickly as possible.” Elizabeth sat down on a bench as he left, confused.

Maple put her hand on Elizabeth's shoulder. “I think, maybe you are not as in love with him as you were.”

Elizabeth sighed. “I don't know what to think anymore.”

Hilary joined them. “Maybe we ought to get to finding the others. I'm sure this will all come out after we've rescued Scott and my Jeff.”

I'm not so sure about that,” Gertrude muttered. She saw how disappointed Maple looked when Victor left, and how perplexed he and Elizabeth were. Their feelings had changed, even if they weren't entirely aware of it.

Hilary looked up as the sound of feet in heavy boots could be heard stomping up the porch. “What is that?”

Mackie gulped. “I don't know, but it doesn't sound like I want to be around for it!”

They all stood at once as James Crawley lead a troop of the governor's guards into the main room. “Well, well. What do we have here? All the workers at my Inn.”

Your inn?” Mr. Eldridge shook his fist. “Now see here, young man, just because you have one inn doesn't mean you can say you have another! This inn is owned by someone else! Someone,” he smiled a little bit, “a lot smarter than you are.”

Oh yes, I intend to find out who owns it soon enough. I'm still very interested in buying this little Inn. It would be perfect for what my good friend the Governor and I have in mind. I want the brilliant ideas all of you come up with to attract customers. He wants to use it as a gathering place for a few chums of our to discuss business with our contacts in England.” He looked around. “There seems to be a few of you missing. Where are Mr. Comstock and His Lordship? Out for a drink at the Buttery Tavern?”

Lady Hilary Booth rose to her full height. “Mr. Crawley, I have no idea where my...where Lord Singer is. Mr. Comstock had an appointment in Pittsburgh Village with people who sell us costumes for our plays. He's running a little late.”

He must be running very late. Most costumers are long closed at this time of night.” He waved his hand around. “I want them all all locked into their rooms.” He pointed at Elizabeth, who moved back. “Except for that girl. The Governor had an interest in her.”

Oh no, you don't.” Mackie growled. Mr. Foley had quietly made his way to the stage. He pulled out a prop sword he used in 'When In Rome' and tossed another to Mackie. “En guarde, you...dirty Innkeeper!”

Crawley just laughed. “Those aren't real. We use them for our plays, too.”

Eugenia hurried to her pianoforte and leaned as hard as she could on the keys, drawing out a loud, long sound. Maple leaped next to her and played the keys on the other half, making as much noise as she could. Mr. Foley handed his sword to Lester and started banging on his gong.

The distraction gave Mackie just enough time to hit Crawley in the chin as the inn's remaining guests hurried downstairs. Elizabeth got onstage and pointed at Crawley. “Those men are trying to attack us! They're English spies who want to use us for their headquarters!”

That was enough to rally the other guests, who swarmed onto the guards. Fists and fake swords flew. Hilary took Mackie's sword. Lester tossed his to Maple and put his arms around a few of the female guests, ignoring the guards fighting around them.

Mackie grabbed Crawley by the lapels of his gray wool jacket. “Ok buddy, if you're a pal of Pruitt's, maybe you can tell us where he's holding the Crimson Blade and his men.” He smirked at Maple alongside him, sword in hand. “Or my lady friend here just found herself a new pincushion.”

I will if you'll let me go.”

You'll let us know by postcard from scenic Boston!” snapped Elizabeth as she joined them, holding a prop pistol she found onstage.

Crawley's fat Adam's apple bobbed. “I don't know where he has the Crimson Blade. I had no idea he even had him.”

Mackie grabbed his cravat and pulled it as tight as he could. “And his men?”

I'm not saying without a lawyer!”

Hilary smirked. “Now Mackie, that's no way to treat a fellow innkeeper. After all, he does own a very important establishment.” She put an arm around him. “I'm sure he could tell us where those poor men are. Perhaps,” she patted his cravat, “I could even have a talk with some of the richest merchants in Pittsburgh Village. I know many merchants who would put in a good word about his fine business.”

Maple made a face. “Your Ladyship, what do you do?”

Hilary ignored her. She lead Crawley to the benches. “Why don't we discuss it right here?” She was all but sitting on his lap. “You tell me where those dear men are, and I'll give you a few addresses for some of the richest merchants in town.”

Crawley grinned. “They're at my Inn, in the attic. The military did have them at Fort Pitt, but my close, personal friend Governor Pruitt wanted them where he could keep an eye on them.”

That's all we needed to know. Thank you, dear, sweet Crawley.” Hilary smirked. “Now, close your eyes and open your lips, and you'll get a big surprise.”

Crawley did so...and was surprised to feel Lady Hilary's fist in his face. She knocked him head over heels off the bench and onto the floor. Mackie laughed as he and Mr. Foley took hold of him. “Nice shot, Your Ladyship.”

Thank you. A woman does need to learn how to keep the wandering hands of overly amorous noblemen from getting too familiar.” She went right up to Crowley. “You, sir, are going to take us to the Inn. You will free Mr. Byrnes and the others whom you have imprisoned there.”

Crawley gulped. “What about me? I could still tell Pruitt about this.”

Elizabeth nodded. “Yes, you could.” A light went on in her eyes. “But you can't if you come with us.”

Mackie and Mr. Foley joined her. “Everything's settled here, Liz. Most of the guards were either tied up or locked in the manager's office and parlor room.”

Elizabeth nodded. “Mr. Foley, take Mr. Crawley to the manager's office with his men.” Mr. Foley did so, taking Crawley by his arm, ignoring his angry protests. She shook her head and made her way to the stage. The remaining guests and staff members were talking amongst themselves. Lester was knocked over the couch by the two women, who didn't like where he put his hands. “Excuse me!”

Maple slammed down on the pianoforte, getting everyone's attention. “QUIET! SLILENCIEUX!” The entire group immediately shut up and stared at her and Elizabeth.

Thank you, Maple.” Elizabeth addressed the crowd. “I know the last thing most of you were expecting was to be under attack at this time of night. Rest assured, this is not business as usual at the Monongahela Inn. We're really just a little place off the road, where people can rest their feet for a while and enjoy a romance or an adventure or a little music before they venture forth into the world again. We want to help you forget your troubles, not create more.”

Maple joined her. “But there are people, bad people, who want to take the Inn for themselves. They say we should not be allowed to make travelers happy. The Governor, he says we are no better than dirt under his toenails. We should not be able to work for ourselves.”

Hilary stood next to them. “It doesn't matter what part of society you're from, if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, or no spoon at all. You can still be a part of a colony.” She smiled at the other women. “And a family.”

Mackie went to Hilary. “And that's what matters in the end. We're all family. No matter what we look like, or where we were from originally, or how old or young we are.”

Mr. Eldridge patted Mackie's shoulder. “After all, it's always nice to have someone to count on when the pickle chips fall down.”

Gertrude joined them with Lester, Eugenia, and Mr. Foley. “And someone to tell your troubles to.”

Elizabeth turned to the remaining guests. “Two members of our family, Scott Sherwood and Lord Jeffrey Singer, are in the hands of Captain Pavla DeVile, the most notorious pirate on the Monongahela and the Allegheny, and there are others who are prisoners at the Weeping Joker Inn. Will you all stand with us and fight for our friends...our family...our very lives? Who's with us?”

The ten or so people who remained let out loud cheers. They shook everyone's hands, even Hilary's, and shook their fists happily as the staff made their way off the stage and into the crowd. Elizabeth gathered everyone as close as she could. “All right. We all need to work as a team if we're going to stop Pruitt and rescue our friends.” She looked at Hilary with a small smile. “And our lovers.” Hilary nodded, her smile knowing.

How are we gonna get into the Weeping Joker Inn?” Mackie looked nervous. “Crawley could tell the staff there what we're doing, and they could call the cops.”

Gertrude saw Mr. Eldridge trying on a heavy coat with fancy braiding. “Where did you get that?”

From one of the nice officers we put in the parlor room. They weren't using it, so I thought I might look better in it.”

Elizabeth's eyes brightened. “That's it!” She nodded at the coat. “Why don't we all...borrow...their coats? We'll dress as soldiers.”

Oui!” Maple grinned. “And they will just think we are Pruitt's men. They will not suspect anything!”

I refuse to be costumed as a mere enlisted man.” Hilary took a fancy plumed tri-corn hat off a chair on the stage. “I'm not a simple, workaday officer. I am a general!”

Oui,” Maple muttered to Eugenia, “a general pain in the derriere.” Eugenia giggled.

Hilary glared at them. “What was that?”

Eugenia and Maple tried to look innocent. “Oh, nothing,” Maple said quickly.

I just hope Mr. Comstock is all right,” Eugenia added. “He did ride to Fort Pitt all alone.”

Oh, I'm sure he'll be fine, Eugenia.” Elizabeth didn't look as confident as she sounded.

The Road to Fort Pitt, Shortly After Midnight

Victor galloped down the road as fast as he could push his steed. He had to get to Fort Pitt. His influence there could be of considerable use in aiding the others. As long as I keep the Crimson Blade out of my confession somehow. I promised Maple I wouldn't allow harm to come to her or Sherwood, and I intend to keep that promise. Victor frowned. Even if Sherwood does somehow always seem to gain the upper hand with the women. He has that silver tongue and Irish charm.

He was so lost in his thoughts, he didn't heed the sounds of more hooves coming towards him. Were the woods always so dark? It was if all the light in the colony had been snuffed out by some unseen hand. The road was barely visible two inches in front of his face.

Suddenly, the horse reared, nearly throwing him off. Three men in red uniforms blocked the road. Three more surrounded him. “What is the meaning of this?”

Victor Comstock, you're under arrest, by order of the governor of this colony.”

Under arrest? Why? I've committed no felony.”

The governor says you've been passing information to the British about plans for General Washington's first attack.”

That's absurd! I'm an innkeeper from Pittsburgh Village out on an errand.”

At this hour of the night?” One of the soldiers reached for his horse. Victor hit him in the chin and tried to ride on, but two more men appeared. One grabbed his horse. Two more took hold of his legs and dragged him off his saddle.

Victor struggled angrily. “When I put in my report with Fort Pitt, you can rest assured that I'll complain heavily about the quality of security on the roads going out of town!”

Another man clamped a hand over Victor's mouth. “I forgot, the boss lady said he can talk up a storm when he gets going.” He smirked as they dragged the tall man away. “Take him to the Ursula Gothel. Our boss and our governor are both really interested in that information he's been passin'.”

The Hold of the Ursula Gothel, Very Early the Next Morning

Scott Sherwood and Lord Jeffrey Singer looked up from the crates they sat on as the door opened. They both leaped to their feet when they saw two of the pirates throw Victor Comstock into the room. “We have another friend to visit you,” Pavla DeVile sneered. “Perhaps you'll be more amused by his constant chatter about the Patriots and the colonies than I am.”

Victor!” Jeff got there first. “Are you all right?” Victor's eyes fluttered. He had a split lip and a bloody nose. Jeff put his handkerchief to Victor's face, trying to stop the bleeding. He looked up at Pavla, gritting his teeth in anger. “What did you do to him? If you've done any permanent damage...”

We did have to beat him a little to keep him in line. He kept trying to get away.” She gave them her sly smirk. “Probably to return to your stupid little inn.”

It's not stupid!” Scott glared at her. “It's a good place, where people can pull off the road and get a hot meal and enjoy themselves with fine entertainment. It's...it's a home away from home!”

You have no place to talk, Mr. Sherwood.” She stroked his chin. “My lover Cribby and I just negotiated with my richest and most valuable employer for your sorry hide.”

I won't be bought and sold like a piece of meat!” Scott leaped at her, but her men forced him back.

You will not try to harm me, Crimson Blade. Not if you want Comstock and Singer to live to embrace their dear women again.” She pulled a pair of manacles from her belt. “We'll have to keep Sherwood subdued. He'll try to fight or talk his way out.”

Scott growled and tried to get at Pavla. Her men held him back. “If you get within five millimeters of any of the staff from the inn, especially Elizabeth, I'll...”

Pavla pointed her gun at his neck “Do what? Harm me? A woman? I can see you're no gentleman. You're just an Irish ruffian, barely worth the money the Governor paid for you.”

Victor's eyes flicked towards Pavla's. “That so-called ruffian,” he snapped, “has more nobility in his soul than you could dream of in all your years of existence on this planet, Captain DeVile.”

Pavla's men finally shoved Scott so hard, he nearly fell over the crates. “Pruitt will be coming for him at dawn. As for the two of you,” she nodded at Jeff and Victor, “you'll be taken to Boston. There are officers in the British army who would love to find out what Johnathan Arnold and his contact found out about the their plans for Lexington and Concord.”

Victor narrowed his eyes. “You know you'll never get us to talk.”
She pulled out a large gold pendant. “Hypnosis can be very useful. It certainly worked on you in Boston a few months ago.”

This time, it was Jeff who leaped at her. “Don't you try that trick on him again!” Two of the men shoved him back towards Victor.

I didn't appreciate it the first time,” Victor added. “There are things about my time in Boston and the night I returned I still can't recall. I prefer my mind to belong to me alone, not manipulated by a second or third party.”

Very well.” She nodded at her men. Jeff and Victor were bound together, their wrists held in manacles. Scott was chained to the wall, his back pulled into the most uncomfortable position possible. “If any of you try escaping, my men will be on you as fast as a dog can bite at its fleas.” Scott's angry cursing was drowned out by Pavla's laughter.

The Lobby of the Weeping Joker Inn, Shortly Before Daybreak

The man sitting at the front desk of the Weeping Joker Inn had to blink twice when his boss came in, with a line of the most rag-tag soldiers he'd ever seen in his life. Maybe it was just that it was early. One fellow with white hair seemed a little too...seasoned...to be a guard. Another was short and plump. A third was small and slender, and he had to admit, rather pretty, for a man.

What he assumed to be the head of the guards very nearly shoved Crawley into the room. He was also small for what appeared to be a general, with chestnut hair pulled back in a thick queue and haughty brown eyes. He looked like an arrogant ass. He gave orders to everyone within firing range. “You!” he said in an oddly high voice for a man. “What are you doing, standing here at this hour of the morning? Sleeping on the job! You should be clapped in irons!”

What the man didn't see was the general pointing a knife at Crawley's back. “Fitzgerald,” he gasped, “I need you to bring me the key to the third floor.”

Fitzgerald looked surprised. “The keys? What about those criminals up there? The ones who are supposed to be very dangerous?”

Crawley gulped as the general pushed the blade further. “For heavens sake, Fitzgerald, do as I say!”

All right, all right.” He pulled out a box, muttering about uppity military officers. “Here.” He handed Crawley a set of spindly copper keys.

Thank you, Fitzgerald.” Crawley quickly shoved the keys in his pocket.

You'll be awarded a commendation for this, my good fellow,” the general added, with a flourish that sounded a little too put-on. “We've been after these men for months. We're going to take them back to Fort Pitt for questioning and certain excruciatingly tortures that will draw the truth from their veins like a sword draws the first blood. Or have I said too much?”

Hilary,” muttered the first officer, a small, round fellow with a thick gray mustache, “don't overdo it. We want this guy to believe you're a British general, not Lady Macbeth!”

Can't I be both?”

They followed Crawley upstairs, past barely-awake guests, to the third floor. Crawley stopped at the last door in the hallway. “All of you stand back. What you'll see is all too shocking.” He seemed to take a tortuously long time with getting the door open.

C.J looked up when they entered. Several men lay in beds along a large room. C.J was playing cards with a few more. He frowned. “What are you doing here? I thought we weren't going to be moved to Fort Pitt until next week.”

Plans have changed.” Hilary grabbed C.J's arm as roughly as she could manage. “This one appears to be a likely troublemaker. We'll make him an example to the rest of those loathsome degenerates.”

C.J squinted at her as well as hie could, considering how tired he was. “Hilary?”

Shhh!” She shook her head. “The other guests may hear us.”

Elizabeth turned her bayonet on Crawley. His eyes widened. “What are you doing?”

The others were already filing out. Elizabeth glared at him. “You're not going anywhere, mister. At least, not until after we rescue our friends. We don't need you telling Pruitt that the Crimson Blade's men are loose.”

Hilary nodded. “I agree. We'll let him cool his heels here for a while.”

That should teach him to try to take an inn that isn't his!” Mr. Eldridge added.

You can't do this to me!” Crawley wailed. “I own this inn! I'm in charge!”

Oh, I think they'll live without you for a few hours.” Elizabeth was the last person out. “At least until we can tell the police and the military that you were involved with a British spy ring.”

I'll call my lawyer! I'll sue! You'll be taken to courts and raked until you bleed! You...” Elizabeth shut the door and locked it before they could hear the rest of his tirade.

Fitzgerald looked up as they trooped downstairs. “Mr. Fitzgerald!” The man leaped out from behind the desk and stood erect next to Hilary. “You must not tell anyone we were here. We're under strict orders from George Washington himself to keep this all very secret.” She tried to resist her smirk. “Oh, and Mr. Crawley said he had some very important work that he needed to do upstairs. You are to see that he's not disturbed for the rest of the day.”

Yes sir!” Fitzgerald nearly knocked himself over saluting her.

C.J grinned as he and the others followed Hilary out. “You're so good at this, you're scaring me. Since when did all of you join the British Army?”

Elizabeth was on his other side. “Since Pavla DeVile captured Scott and Jeff. We have to get to her ship! She's going to sell Scott to Pruitt and then sail off to Boston with Jeff!”

C.J's eyes widened. “What? How did Pavla get both of them?”

Hilary lead them towards a large, slightly rickety carriage. “We're not sure how she got her foul, nauseatingly slender hands on Scott. It's likely she appeared after we did a 52-hour show on drugged tea. Scott would have been too tired to defend himself.” She sighed. “Jeff, as usual, jumped headfirst into a trap to ensnare his person before he considered the fact that Pablum would never willingly give up the chance to bleed the Singer name dry.”

Maple gazed up at the sky, which was growing lighter and lighter by the minute. “We must get to the Ursula Gothel! Mr. Menlow said that Scott would be sold to Pruitt at first light! The sun is almost up now!”

Elizabeth gathered them around her. “All right. Everyone in costume will change out of them while we're in the carriage. Mr. Eldridge and Gertrude, you'll meet Gus Kahana at his fruit stand in the marketplace. He'll take you to Fort Pitt to tell the military what's going on and see if you can get their help. Tell them to come to Dock 13 at the Pittsburgh Village Waterfront.”

Mr. Eldridge saluted her. “You need only ask.”

Elizabeth stared at him. “I'm asking.”

Gertrude shook her head. “Come along, Tom. I think they're trying to clear us old folks out in time for the big showdown.” She turned to the others. “I wish you all good luck. You're...well, you're the children I never had. Even you, Hilary. Stay safe, and bring the boys home in at least one piece.”

Hilary made a face. “If Jeff's done anything with that nautical tramp of a semi-wife of his, he may be in a few more pieces than he'd like.”

C.J shook his head. “What about the rest of us?”

We're going to the Ursula Gothel.” Maple poked her head out of the carriage. She wore a low-cut, bright red blouse trimmed with ruffles that showed off every bit of her well-known curves. “And we're all going to go in uniform.” She tossed C.J a slightly looser, less ruffly red shirt.

Elizabeth nodded, her grin ear-to-ear. “If Pruitt wants Crimson Blades, then that's what he's going to get!”

The Hold of the Ursula Gothel, Shortly After

Scott was still cursing and still trying to free himself of his bonds. “Haven't you run out of cerulean vocabulary words yet, Sherwood?” Victor complained. “They're not aiding us in escaping this foul prison.”

Well, they're making ME feel a lot better!”

Jeff groaned. “Stop it, you two. This is hardly the time to fight.”

Scott winced as his back tweaked. “I'm not sure I could take Victor in a fight, anyway. My eye was swollen for two days after he socked me.”

You stole my job and the woman I was courting while I was doing dangerous undercover work in Boston!” Victor hollered at the top of his normally refined lungs. “What was I supposed to do?”

Scott looked at the floor. “Victor, I deserved that hit. I forged the letter because I thought the inn would make a perfect temporary headquarters for the Crimson Blade, and I would get to flirt with a pretty writer. After the Crimson Blade made some good money, he'd run out with no one the wiser.” He finally looked up at Victor and Jeff. “I never expected to fall in love with Elizabeth or find a real home.”

Victor's eyes clearly said he didn't believe him. “Do you mean that, Sherwood? Almost everything out of your mouth is an untruth. Even your marriage to Hilary was false.”

Scott stared hard at the tall innkeeper. “Victor, you have a good job that pays you enough to get by and challenges your mind. You have two women who adore you. You're brilliant, you're clever, and you have a hell of an uppercut. You're a war hero before the colonies have even gone to war!” He shifted in his bonds. “I'm an outlaw. A criminal. A huckster. That's all I ever will be. I'm no hero. I've done things that make me no better than Pavla and those apes she calls a crew.”

Victor shook his head. “When I returned to the Inn, I would have said I completely adhered to that last statement.” He turned to Scott as well as he could. “And yet, it was you who solved those codes the night I returned. You were the one who uncovered Abernathy and Brumpton's treachery.” Victor gave him that little smile. “A man can appear to be a black-hearted rogue on the outside, yet have a warrior's heart on the inside.”

Jeff tried to face Victor, at least as well as he could. “Victor, while we're all baring our souls, I think it's time I bared mine. I wasn't only the contact for you.” He sighed. “I worked with Scott and the other members of the Crimson Blades before I came to Boston the second time.”

Victor frowned. “You, Jeff? But why? You're a peer of the realm and an aristocrat.”

He caught Maple, C.J, and me one night when we were planning to rob several prominent local businesses with ties to Pruitt,” Scott explained. “Instead of turning us in, we convinced him he could be more helpful as a kind of scout. He found out, through his society connections, which local rich people were on the roads and easy targets and which of Pruitt's businesses we would be able to rob. Hilary did the same thing for us when he went to Boston.”

Jeff groaned. “Scott, I'm sorry about Hilary. I had to tell her. You know Hilary. It's not easy to keep a secret from her. Especially considering I was still her husband at the time.”

Scott sighed. “Yeah, I know that all too well.”

Victor tugged at his bonds. “I'm glad we got all this off our chests. Jeff's correct that we'll have to work together to escape this predicament.” He looked out the one window. “Pavla will return at any moment. It's very nearly morning.” He tried to tug at the cuffs that held his wrists. “Jeff, if we pull together, we may be able to stand long enough to retrieve the keys from the peg outside.”

Well, we could try.”

Scott looked up as voices were heard on the staircase. “And hurry, you two! I think they're coming!” He continued to yank his heavy chains as hard as he possibly could.

Victor and Jeff stood at the same time...but they did it too quickly. They nearly ended up on the floor! “Whoa!” Jeff winced as his face ended up against the wall. “Ow. That hurt.”

Careful!” Victor tried to stand straighter. “We will need to move as one. Follow my count. One, and two, and...”

The footsteps became louder as the pair two-stepped their way over to the door. Victor was just trying to pull his hands free of the chains when the door was flung open. Victor and Jeff were sent flying into the floor next to Scott.

The three men all gazed up with murder in their eyes as Governor Pruitt slid his oily way into the hold, followed by Pavla and several of her men. “Well, well. I thought I left the English music hall acts back at that silly little inn of yours. How very amusing. Did you set this bit of slapstick up for our entertainment, or do you have a reason for behaving like two comics in a bad stage routine?”

Scott ignored how the chains cut into his back. He let out a nearly animal-like snarl. “Don't you touch them, you fiend! You're not fit to do a pratfall on the ground they fall on!”

Pruitt slithered over to Scott, grabbing him by what remained of his shirt collar. “My, my. Such language from a possession.”

Victor's glare was nearly as cutting as Scott's. “Governor, you of all people should be aware that slavery is not legal under the laws of this colony. You have no moral right to buy or sell another human being.”

I'm also aware that, as governor of this colony, I make the laws.” He shoved his cane against Scott's neck. “This man is an indentured servant. He owed me and my family thousands of dollars worth of debt.” He smirked. “Sherwood, I know the marriage license you and the charming Lady Booth showed at the City Hall was false. I'm no fool. I'm the one who arranges the licenses.” He smacked Scott across the face with his cane. Victor and Jeff both tried to jump at him, but the pirates pushed them back on the floor.

Scott raised his chin as nobly as he could manage. “Pruitt, do what you want with me, but leave Victor and Jeff out of this. Let them go back to the inn and their women. They have nothing to do with us.”

I think otherwise.” Pavla stroked Jeff's cheek. He pulled his head away, his eyes full of barely repressed fury. “My husband here is the only one who knows information about the mystery men of Pittsburgh.”

She moved her hand to Victor's cheek. He shot her his angriest look. “Jeffrey was the contact for Johnathan Arnold,” she nodded at Scott, “and he worked for the Crimson Blade. Jeff thought he escaped me in Boston.” She looked right into the younger man's eyes. “Oh, you assumed you were clever, husband, running out on me. Did you think I wouldn't follow you? I knew you'd run right to your dearly beloved Lady Booth.”

Pruitt laughed. “Well, well. Looks like you've been busy, Lord Singer. I didn't think a shallow young imbecile like you had it in him to be in two places at once.”

Jeff narrowed his eyes. “Maybe I'm a lot smarter than you give me credit for.”

Pavla turned to her men. “Take Comstock to my quarters. There's some...information...that the British would love to get from him.”

I wouldn't tell you what you wanted to know in a million decades! Not if you performed every unspeakable act of torture ever devised on my person!”

Pavla laughed and swung the gold medallion that was on her neck. “I only need one.”

Jeff let out a roar. “You'll both be sent to prison for this! When the others find out what you're doing...”

The others.” Pruitt gave them his throaty chuckle. “I'm assuming you mean your precious friends at the Monongahela Inn. You wouldn't happen to know which one of them owns the inn, do you? I was told one of the residents somehow managed to purchase it. I have a good chum who wishes to buy it.”

Jeff shook his head. “I have no idea.”

Nor do I.” Victor shrugged. “All of the staff and regular residents at the inn have been asking the same query. Whomever the person is, we owe them a debt of gratitude. They lowered the rents and made it possible for many of the residents to remain in their homes, regardless of their gender, race, or status.”

I think I can guess,” Scott muttered to himself as two of Pavla's men removed his chains and yanked him to his feet. “I just hope they don't find out.” Out loud, he said “I don't know either, Pruitt. Whomever they are, they haven't exactly spread it around.”

Nevertheless, we'll find out. Even as we speak, my friend and several of my men have been dispatched to make sure none of your beloved staff attempt to come to your rescue.”

Scott tried to lunge for Pruitt, but Pavla's men held him back. “If you've harmed any of them, I'll...”

Do what? I'm scarcely frightened of a piece of property.” His smirk grew wider. “Oh, yes. Speaking of property, I asked the men to bring me my lovely little Elizabeth Roberts. I have missed her so. Such an attractive, intelligent girl. She'll be a great asset to my holdings.”

Pruitt got right in Scott's face. “I spent the month I languished in that prison cell considering all the wonderful games I could play with that sweet, innocent child in bed on our wedding night. It would be quite delightful to take her...assets...and make them my own.”

DON'T YOU LAY A FINGER ON HER, YOU SLIMY BASTARD!” Scott broke free of the two men who held him, his face the same color crimson as his shirt. He managed to slam Pruitt in the chin with a hard right before five of Pavla's men leaped onto him. He flailed and writhed like a bass in a net, but there were too many of them.

Victor's eyes blazed. “Sherwood is utterly accurate in his assessment of your character, Pruitt,” he snarled. “You're an inhuman, cold-hearted monster! You don't love Elizabeth. You couldn't. You wouldn't know how to love anything that can't be bought or sold.”

You have no choice in the matter anymore, any of you.” Pruitt rubbed his chin. “Tie up Sherwood and bring him to my ship.” He nodded at Pavla. “Captain, when you sell the other two to the British, remember, I get a share of the profits.”

No!” Scott screamed. “I'll never be a slave!” Scott's protests were finally muffled by a pirate winding a heavy rag around tightly in his mouth. Another pirate wrapped chains around his wrists and arms, yanking them hard behind his back. Two of the pirates dragged him out, struggling angrily all the way.

Pavla helped the remaining men remove Victor's chains. “Chain Lord Singer to the wall, where Sherwood was. Perhaps a few more hours in the hold will cool that aristocratic temper of his.”

Victor tried to block Jeff. “I won't permit such an atrocity. He's a civilian! He was merely my contact. He knew nothing about my work.”


Pavla took Victor roughly by his cravat. “I wouldn't concern yourself with him, Johnathan Arnold. I'd be more worried about what I intend to do to you.” Jeff watched helplessly as Pavla and her first mate bound Victor's hands behind his back and almost literally threw him out of the hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment