Friday, June 5, 2015

The Adventures of the Crimson Blade 11

The Main Deck of the Ursula Gothel, Just After Daybreak

No one noticed the group of ragtag figures in red and black make their way onto the ship. Most of the few men who were awake at this hour were either reading back copies of “The Military Gazette” or exchanging bad jokes about the queen, the elephant, and the ten bucks. Cribby lead them up the gangplank, shaking his head.

They gathered in a ragged circle in the shadows. “All right,” said the small, slender figure with the chestnut hair peeking out from under the hood. “We'll split into three groups Hilary, you take Mackie, Eugenia, and Mr. Foley and search below-decks. C.J, Maple, and I will look up here. The rest of you, secure the main deck.”

Below Decks, A Few Minutes Later

How did we end up with the dirty job?” Mackie grumbled as they headed downstairs. “Why can't we stay on the nice, safe, light deck?”

Because my hus...ex-husband is down there,” Hilary hissed, “and there's no way I'm leaving him here to rot in that filthy cell or be a plaything for that evil, two-faced harlot of the Monongahela!”

Eugenia gulped. “It is kind of scary down here, isn't it?” She looked around the dark, damp rooms. “I feel so sorry for His Lordship. He must be scared to death, trapped all alone in some nasty cell.” Mr. Foley shuddered at the thought and leaned closer to Eugenia.

Mackie nodded at the two guards pacing in front of Jeff's door. “How in the heck are we going to get rid of those guys?”

Hilary smirked and removed her hood. “Leave that to me.” She went to one of the guards, removing her hood. “Hello there, handsome? How would you like to have a good time?”

The pirate leered at her. “Sure, babe. Why not? You ain't that bad.”
Get rid of your friend and meet me on the main deck in five minutes.”

She went to the other one. He grinned. “Well, hello there. Ain't you all kindsa cute?”

She winced at the breath that must have had a pickle and onion sandwich for a midnight snack, but all she said was “Meet me on the deck in five minutes. Get rid of your friend.”

The two men obeyed her to the letter. She grabbed the ring of keys from the pocket of one of them as they knocked each other out. “Nice work, Hilary,” Mackie said with a grin as he, Eugenia, and Mr. Foley joined her.

Some of my best acting.” She nudged one with the toe of the black boots she'd snitched from the British general. “They were both uglier than a pair of wart-nosed sea warlocks.”

What in the....” The last thing Lord Jeffrey Singer expected to see at that moment was his wi...ex-wife, wearing a ruffled red blouse and a pair of fairly tight black breeches, storming into the room. She was followed by three smaller characters in similar outfits, wearing hoods. “Hilary? What in the...”

Pumpkin!” She went to his side. “What have they done with you? If that gold-digging river tramp has harmed you in any way, I will send her to the deepest end of the Monongahela!”

Jeff just grinned as she freed him from the wall. “Hilary, you have no idea how happy I am to see you right now.” He eyed the satiny black breeches. “Especially dressed like that. Where did you get that outfit?”

Borrowed the breeches from a British general. The blouse is a loan from Maple.”

Umm.” Jeff eyed her trim rear encased neatly in the breeches. “Red and black always did suit you.”

Mackie pulled off his hood. “Before you two start getting mushy on us, Jeff, where's Scott? Have you seen him?”

Hilary helped Jeff to his feet. He rubbed his wrists, trying to get some circulation back in them. “Oh, I saw him, all right. Pruitt picked him up at least an hour ago. Dragged him off almost literally kicking and screaming.” Jeff's eyes narrowed. “And with good reason. Apparently, Pruitt bought Scott and intends to use him for slave labor. I think this is Pruitt's way of getting back at Scott for cracking his codes and trying to rob him blind.”

Poor Mr. Sherwood!” wailed Eugenia. “He's too nice to be a slave to that awful Governor Pruitt!”

Mr. Foley opened his mouth to agree, but Hilary got there first. “Let's get back upstairs. We have to find out where Pruitt took Scott.” She gave Jeff a quirky little grin. “And who would be better to know the answer than the captain of this ship?”

Main Deck, At that Same Moment

The trio in black and red crept along the wall, trying to stay out of sight as the morning sun sent long, lazy shadows across the chestnut wood of the main deck. Elizabeth groaned. “I wish that man on the deck was able to give us more information besides 'The boss lady has the tall guy in her room.' He could mean Jeff or Victor.”

I hope it's not Jeff,” Maple muttered. “Hilary will have fit if Pavla is trying funny ha-ha business on her homme.”

We'll get him out of there before Hilary knows.”

C.J stopped the women at the door. “Shh! I hear voices.”

All three leaned heavily against the thick door. Elizabeth grabbed a glass from a table on the other side of the hall. “Yes...yes, my dear Herr Comstock,” Pavla purred. “Just watch the medallion. Keep your eyes on it.”

I...no! I won't!”

Shh. Shh, Herr Comstock. Just keep your eyes on it. Lose yourself in it. Don't think, my dear, sweet Herr.”

I...please no...”

Yes...” the voice purred... “now, don't you want to...kiss me...you must obey me...
I....oh dear god...”

NO!” Maple tried to slam her shoulder into the door, but she only bounced off of it. “That...that witch is trying to put moves on Victor! It is assault with friendly weapon! We must get in there!”

C.J shook his head. “There's an easier way to open a door than dislocating your shoulder, Maple. Why don't you try doing what most people do?” He lifted a rug in front of the door, revealing a key. “Look for the extra house key.”

They flung the door open to reveal Pavla leaning over Victor, who was tied to a chair. She was swinging a large gold medallion in his face with one hand and holding his head so that he was looking right at it with the other. Maple did not like the dazed look in his eyes. It was almost the same one he had the night he came back from Boston. She liked even less that Pavla was two steps from climbing into his lap.

STOP! ARRET!” Maple held up her pistol. Pavla didn't have time to react before the gun went off, blasting the medallion across the room. C.J and Elizabeth went to untie Victor as Maple threw the pistol aside and yanked Pavla off his lap, shrieking French curse words at the top of her lungs. She shook Pavla's shoulders, and the two wrestled across the room, scratching at each other and yanking hair.

Pavla finally managed to get her hood off. “It is you!” She yanked Maple's hair harder. “You are the woman Crimson Blade. You are just as my men described you – a flame-haired bimbo with more...assets...than brains.”

You are one to talk! At least I do not throw myself at men who are not interested. You destroy Hilary and Jeff's marriage, and you hurt poor Victor, and why? All because you only care about yourself.”

That's called survival!” She reached for the gun, but C.J got it first.

Oh no, lady.” He slid it into his belt. “Don't get ideas.”

Victor was rubbing his temples. “Elizabeth?” She and C.J helped him to his feet. He finally lowered his gaze to the two women on the floor. “Maple? What in the world...”

Maple glared at the woman pirate captain. “Pavla, where's Scott?”

Her smile was pure evil. “Your precious male Crimson Blade is gone. My employer, Governor Pruitt, came earlier this morning and took him to his mansion. He won't be robbing coaches anymore, or anything else. It'll be hard labor in the salt mines for that Irish lout from now on!”

Oh no!” Elizabeth wailed. “We're too late!”

Maple's eyes blazed. “You...you....” She jumped to her feet and pulled out her sword, trying to ignore the sneeze that rose to her nose, which hadn't quite recovered from that cold. “Enguarde, you...you...nasty traitre!”

So that is how you want to play.” Pavla sprang to her own feet, taking a sword from the wall. “You're no match for me, you overgrown French sea cow!”

Oooh, they are fighting words!” Victor watched in surprise as the two women leaped and thrust at each other. Considering she still had to be feeling the effects of her recent illness, Maple was more than holding her own. They were leaping on Pavla's enormous four-poster bed and pushing aside chairs and tables.

C.J grabbed a vase Maple almost knocked over. “I think this duel is getting way too big for this room.” He opened the door, letting the two women duel right out into the hall. He, Elizabeth, and Victor quickly followed.

It was pandemonium on-deck. The Crimson Blade's men were fighting with and chasing and knocking over and drinking with Pavla's crew. Maple and Pavla continued their fight around the men, ducking and slashing and knocking into rigging.

Victor didn't like how Maple was showing signs of wear. Her men cheered her on, but her cheeks were red, and she was slowing down just a bit. Her movements no longer matched Pavla's. He started towards her, but one of the pirates held a knife to his throat. Another did the same to C.J.

Victor!” Maple's last thrust was just a fraction of a second too late. Pavla slashed hard at her right arm. Maple screamed and dropped her sword, clutching the heavy red line that created a pool of darker red on her bright blouse.

Maple!” Victor struggled hard, his arms and legs flailing. “Release her! She'll need medical attention for that wound!”

Pavla laughed and shoved Maple's sword into the wall. “There now, you see? You are not as good as you are thinking you are,” her smile was nasty, “Crimson Blade.” She turned to her crew. “Bind the Crimson Blade and feed her to the creatures in the river. It will be most amusing to witness.” She turned her sword on Victor. “Especially for her sweetheart.”

Victor's heart lurched as he watched two pirates wrap rope roughly around Maple's bleeding arms and wrists. “Please, let her go free! You're causing grievous harm to her!”

That's the idea, Herr Comstock.” She pointed her sword at Maple's chest, shoving her backwards towards a thick board that jutted out over the river. “I want to cause great harm to her, and her partner, and their young friend.” She glared at Maple. “They were the reason I told the British about you, Comstock. They just had to ruin my wonderful ransom plan with Lady Booth! Them and your little Elizabeth.”

Victor narrowed his eyes. “It was you who told the British about my identity. Why? What was in it for you?”

Revenge, Herr Comstock. I was going to hold Lady Booth until I got what I wanted, what I've always wanted – a chance at a stage career. They tricked me, made me think I was talking to some producer. I tricked them in kind.” She smirked and pushed at Maple with the sword. “I made some inquiries in Boston and here. Talked to a few officials who didn't mind trading some nights of...fun...for information.” She laughed, turning to Victor. “Oh, yes, and your British accent was as fake as a clown's putty nose.”

Victor looked rueful. “Acting was never my strong suit.”

Maple watched him, wincing as she tried to work her arms free despite feeling woozy from the loss of blood. “Oh Victor...”

Pavla waved at Maple's chest with the sword. “I would not concern yourself with him. In another second, you will be six feet under, swimming with the fishes, and he will be back in my chambers, under my command. You'll never see your precious Herr Comstock again!”

That's what you think!” Pavla let out a screech as a sword slashed into her brilliant yellow blouse. She turned on her heel to find herself face-to-sword with a furious Lady Hilary Booth. “You let Miss Martienne down from there this instant, you traitorous trollop!” Mackie, Eugenia, Jeff, and Mr. Foley ran in behind her.

Pavla winced, but she was smiling condescendingly. “Well, well. We meet again, Your Ladyship. I didn't think a pampered noblewoman like you knew what a sword was, much less how to use it. Aren't women like you usually taught things like needlework and how to manage a household?”

I was never much good at needlework.” She put out her sword. “I'm much better at fencing than I ever was with domestic chores.” She thrust the sword into Pavla's face. “Engarde, you charlatan of a sea witch! I want you out of my life and my Jeffrey's!”

If I win,” she lunged for Hilary, “you'll be joining the Crimson Blade walking the plank, and your Jeffrey will be coming to Boston with me.” She smirked, circling Hilary. “Maybe I'll keep him after all. He is rather attractive. He might be a nice addition to my collection of men.”

Jeff growled at her. “Not on your life! I'd never go with you!” Her men shoved him back into the crowd, grabbing hold of his arms.

Hilary glared at her. “You tell those hideous cretins of yours to get their hands off my Jeffrey, or I'll fill you so full of holes, you'll look like a pincushion at a seamstresses' convention!” She lunged hard for Pavla, driving her across the boat.

Pavla was shocked at how hard Hilary could hit. She flung herself into her thrusts and parries with abandon, jumping around the deck, even swinging on the rigging at one point. “Where have you learned all these moves?”

I pay attention to those plays we perform, Pavla.” She smirked as the two locked blades, looking straight into each others' eyes. “Perhaps if you paid more attention to acting in plays and less to acting in the bed of every British official from here to Boston, you'd learn a few new tricks yourself.”

Jeff's eyes widened as Pavla ducked behind her, lunging for her back. “Hilary, watch out!”

Thank you, Jeffrey dear.” She ducked away, leaning one last thrust to stab Pavla lightly in the chest. “But I can take care of myself.”

Pavla gasped and clutched her wounded chest. “But how...how did...”

Skill, my dear captain. It's called 'skill.'” The Crimson Blade's men had already surrounded or wounded most of Pavla's crew. Hilary turned to address them. “Boys, free MY husband, Mr. Byrnes, and Mr. Comstock, then get Miss Martienne off the plank.” She smirked at Pavla. “There's someone else who has far more need for a swim this morning.”

Pavla was clutching her chest. “I...I will not go...”

By all means.” Hilary and Jeff took either of her arms as Victor and Mackie helped Maple off the plank. Hilary grinned in her face. “Let us help you.”

Jeff's smile was even more evil. “We'd be glad to.” They both lifted Pavla off her feet and carried her over to the plank.

No! Stop!” Pavla wheezed. “Let me go! The water is too cold for swimming!”

You didn't seem to have any problems with shoving Miss Martienne into the drink a few minutes ago.” Hilary got onto the plank and pushed at her chest with her sword. “Besides,” she hissed, “you're cold-blooded. You won't even feel it. There's already ice in your veins.” She finally gave Pavla a shove. The slender captain tripped over her feet, falling head over heels into the Monongahela with a noisy screech.

Cribby was looking over the edge. “I guess I'd better retrieve my woman.” He chuckled. “Nice work, kids. I'll take her to a hospital to have that wound looked at.” He held up a sheath of papers. “Look what I have here. Your marriage contract.” He tore it to bits and threw it in the river. “Oh dear. I see to have misplaced it.” He chuckled. “You're a free man, Singer, and a lucky one. That's one hell of a woman you have there!”

Jeff put his arm around Hilary's waist. “I've known that for years.”

Victor attended to Maple's bleeding arm near the mast. He ripped off his shirt sleeves and wrapped them around the cut. “This isn't a real tourniquet, but it'll have to suffice until we can get you genuine medical attention. I'm afraid I'm no doctor.”

Maple smiled. “Merci, Monsieur. You may not be doctor, but you are a good man and a good innkeeper.”

Thank you.” He took her good hand and gazed into her eyes. “Maple...I find it very difficult to discuss my romantic feelings with women, or with anyone, really. I lack Sherwood's silver tongue when it comes to charming the opposite sex. I'm not wealthy. I'm the educated head of a small, poor village inn. I'm not a peer of the realm or a landowner. I can't offer you the extravagant lifestyle other men could give you. But I can offer you my heart. You're an incredible woman, Maple Martienne. I've never met anyone like you. You're beautiful and courageous and strong-willed and intelligent. You bring more life into my life than anyone I've ever known. Maple, what I'm trying to say is...”

Victor, shush.” Maple put a finger on his lips, but she was smiling. “I love you, too.”

Jeff and Hilary watched them as they kissed deeply. “Hilary,” Jeff smiled, “you know I'm free now.”

Yes, I'm aware of that.” She made a face. “I'm also aware that, the moment my back is turned, you'll jump headlong into another woman's arms.”

You've had your share of men too, you know. Including Scott Sherwood.”

The marriage was faked, Pumpkin! I did it to make you jealous!” She leaned into him. “I regret it now. Scott was beyond drunk the night he suggested it. I took advantage of him because I wanted to hurt you, the way you hurt me.”

I never meant to hurt you, Mittens! If I'd known the whole marriage to Pavla would turn out as badly as it did, I never would have done it! I wouldn't hurt you for the world.” He smiled a little. “Unless we're having one of our little tiffs.”

She looked up at him. “Jeff, if we get married again, this time, it'll be for real. I want a real wedding, with a bridal gown and a reception and Eugenia playing 'Here Comes the Bride.' There's only so much money you can pour into the Mexican colonies.”

Jeff nodded. “For once, I agree. No more games. I want you all to myself, for good. Forever.”

Oh Jeffrey, darling! You don't know how long I've waited for you to say that!” She threw herself so hard into Jeff's arms, they ended up on the deck next to Maple and Victor.

Eugenia and Mr. Foley had watched them, blushing. “Well, it's certainly getting romantic around here, isn't it, Foley?” She smiled at him. “You know, you mean a great deal to me, too.”

Foley nodded. He pulled a cloth rose he'd taken from Captain DeVile's cabin from his pocket and handed it to Eugenia. It was a little wrinkled, but it still looked pretty. “Oh Foley, how sweet of you! It's still lovely, even if it doesn't smell!”

Eugenia took his hand. “I was...well, I guess since everyone else is doing it, I might as well do it, too. I've been considering...asking if you'd like to be engaged with me to be married.” Foley was really blushing now. “Our lives hinge on your response.”

Mackie ducked between the two of them just as Foley opened his mouth. “Have either of you seen Elizabeth?”

Eugenia considered it. “No, I haven't. Not since Maple was fighting with that awful Captain DeVile.”

Maple and Victor joined them. Victor frowned. “Pavla told us that Pruitt took Scott to the Governor's Mansion.”

Mackie looked worried. “You don't think Liz would have gone after Scotty on her own?”

The sound of horses' hooves on the road that ran alongside the docks gave them their answer. A familiar diminutive, slender figure was flying down the road in the carriage that brought them there, her sweet face filled with determination.

C.J hurried over to them. “Elizabeth's gone. I've looked all over for her.”

She just left.” Victor frowned. “I concede that we need to develop a strategy for freeing Sherwood. However, I believe Elizabeth is behaving rashly in attempting to rescue him without aid.”

Maple sighed. “She's in love, Victor. She is not thinking with her whole mind.”

Victor looked a little disappointed. Maple gave him a squeeze. He turned to her. “I've heard rumors that this is a very fast ship.”

Maple nodded. “They say it is fastest ship on the rivers. But what does...”

C.J grinned. “You know, I've always wanted to learn how to run a pirate ship.”

You catch on quickly, Byrnes. We'll need quick wit and faster reflexes if we're going to be able to carry out my plan.”

Mackie gulped. “Your plan?”


Victor turned to the crew behind him. He had everyone's full attention...except for Hilary and Jeff, who were too busy kissing each other to pay him much mind. “Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to need the help of anyone who is an experienced sailor. We're taking over the Ursula Gothel and will be sailing her to the Governor's Mansion. He'll be expecting Captain DeVile and her band of murderous cutthroats. What he'll get,” his smile was a more wicked version of his little-boy smile, “will be the staff of the Monongahela Inn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment