Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Tales of the Gold Wookie, Part 16

Charel helped everyone jump into the Falcon's door, then jumped in himself. The plane dipped precariously when he landed, nearly flinging them all back out. He got in just in time. The rock that held the landing hook broke, releasing them into the air.

Just as the Falcon started flying towards the coast, the entire temple caved in, sending debris in every direction for miles and taking large pieces off several of the temples in its immediate vicinity. The resulting crash could be heard for miles; many peasants in neighboring villages thought the end of the world was upon them and hid in their homes or ran to churches to pray.

The diminutive Spanish pilot chattered a mile a minute as he just barely dodged flying bricks from one of the damaged temples. Laurence nodded, shuddering, as one part hit the top of the plane. “That was too close.”

Hey!” Harry, Charel, and Artie joined them up front. Harry glared at him. “You promised you wouldn't hurt my baby!”

You're lucky your friend down there with the light beam didn't do worse. He almost took a few propellers off.” Niem tapped his shoulder, pointing out the window. “Yeah, buddy?”

Shit!” Harry gasped as a cloud of gray dust and dirt from the temple clouded the cockpit's windows. “Turn on the turbo engines! It's the only way we're going to make it!”

I know how to drive this plane, thank you!” Laurence made a face. “I used to own it, you know.”

No one said anything for a few minutes. The only sound was the roar of the propellers and Luke sobbing quietly in the seats. Leia could hear her heart beating triple-time as the Falcon sped through the foggy grayness.

Then...suddenly...the Falcon burst from the clouds like a bullet out of a gun. Larry waved his good white summer fedora in the air. “Woo hoo! We did it!”

We did it!” Leia threw her arms around both men, then gave Harry the biggest, most passionate kiss she possibly could. She had to stand on her tip-toes, but it was worth it to see the shocked and delighted look on his handsome face.

Sweetheart,” he said breathlessly, his eyes a little wide, “did you mean that? I mean, I love you, sweetheart, but...”

She smiled and put her fingers on his lips. “I know, sheep-herder.”

Leia left the quartet in the cockpit to celebrate their escape and made her way to the back of the main passenger area. Luke sat quietly in the last seat, his head bent over his notes. Artie and Clarence sat in front of him, talking softly among themselves.

Luke?” He looked up as she slid next to him. “How's your story coming?”

It isn't. I don't know how I'm going to explain all of this to Miss Tano or my readers. I never did get any photos.” Tears ran down his thin cheeks. “Leia...when we get back, I want to bury Father, and Ben and Yoda, too. Well, at least pay for headstones for them.” When he lifted his eyes to meet hers, she couldn't helped noticing how red-rimmed and haunted they were. “They should be buried with Mother, at her family's plot in Naboo County. From what Father said, he missed Mother so much.”

Leia put her arm around her brother. “I have the feeling we're going to disagree about this one until the end of time. There's no excuse for what he did to us – to you, to me, to Harry and Ben and the world. He killed our mother, Luke!”

Her brother shook his head. “We only have Palpatine's word for that. Besides, no matter what he did later, he was a great archaeologist.” He tried to give her a shaky smile. “You know, Yoda had a big collection of Alderaanian artifacts. I think he said he was going to donate them to UCLA or Berkley College when he died. Maybe we could start some kind of museum for them. The Swords could go there, too. It could be for Alderaanian and other artifacts from South and Central America and the southwestern US.”

I like that.” Leia squeezed her brother. “It would be a good place for Yasmin Hutt's collection, too. If nothing else, she'd be livid that everyday people are breathing on all her fancy relics.”

Artie and Clarence came over, their hats in their hands. “We were talking,” Clarence began, “and we've come to a decision. We're simple men. Our needs are few. The Organas and the Skylarks were always very kind to us. We'd like to donate our shares from the expedition to help establish that museum you were talking about.” The horse-faced translator had a rather sweet smile, when he wasn't in a constant state of panic. “Your parents and godparents have helped us. Now, we want to help you.”

We'd also like to do somethin' to help our buddies the howler monkeys back at the temples.” Artie's grin split across his wide, dark brown face. “They helped us more n' they know. Maybe someone could talk the Guatemalan government into startin' a nature preserve. Make sure no one else besides the occasional archaeologist disturbs them or their breedin' grounds.”

I like that idea.” Harry came over, followed by Charel. “We've talked, too. Most of our share is gonna go into repairin' the Falcon and startin' our own cargo haulin' business, with legit partners this time. You guys can have whatever's left for the scholarship and the museum.”

Laurence leaned over his shoulder from the cockpit. “Niem n' I are going to put our shares into my hotel and helping more people like Charel and his family escape Coruscant and other countries under fascist rule.”

Don't forget,” Clarence added, “there's Empire Industries. As the sole heirs of Derrek Vader – aka Dr. Andrew Skylark – it's more than likely you're now the owners of the entire company.”

Leia spoke before Luke could. “We'll see what we can do about selling it as soon as we get back. Neither of us know anything about running a business.”

And we're happy doing what we do.” Luke chewed thoughtfully on his pencil. “I wonder who's going to take over Coruscant now that Palpatine's gone?”

That geezer probably has eight hundred relatives squabblin' over who gets that right.” Harry smirked. “I'll bet they're all as ugly as him. Inbreedin' runs high in those royal European circles. I wouldn't be surprised if his sons had three eyes or were insane or somethin'.”

Clarence shrugged. “I think his next-in-command was a cousin, one of his generals. Some fellow by the name of Henrich Snoke.”

I just want all of this to be seen.” Leia ran her fingers over the etchings in the flat side of the Sword. “I'll be going back to the temples once they're cleared. There's more to be learned there than even what we found today. I'm more interested than ever now in Alderaan and its culture.” She sighed. “And especially why the Swords chose Ben and our parents and Harry and Luke and me. We're just ordinary people.”

I'm going to disagree with that.” Harry leaned over and gave her a kiss. “You're far from ordinary, sweetheart. I'm startin' to think those hunks of wood n' crystal knew what they were doin' when they picked you. And considerin' what I saw from your pop and Kenobi, them too.”

I think I'd better see if I can call the airfield in Mexico we took off from.” Laurence flipped a switch on the control board. “It's time we started hauling our rears home, before those officers in Coruscant figure out what we were doin' there and why.”

The second he turned the radio on, a familiar British accent could be heard over the wires. “Hello? Is anyone there?” Luke grinned as Wedge Antilles' plane came up alongside them. “Where have all of you been? Do you know what I've been through? About an hour ago, I was shot at with a...light beam, or a ray gun, or something that looked like it came from the Buck Rogers serial! The Rebel Underground is never going to believe this!”

Luke laughed. “Try us, Wedge. We know all about it. We were there, trying to stop it. I can't say too much over the radio. I'll explain when we get back to LA. It's kind of a long story.”

Hey Luke?” Wedge's voice rose an octave. “When we get back, would, uh, like to have a flying lesson? We could meet in LA and talk about it.”

Harry grinned. “I know the perfect place for it, too. Maz doesn't care what kind of people show up in her bar, as long as they don't kill each other.”

Leia nodded. “Enjoy yourself, Luke. You deserve it. Besides, I think you'd be a great pilot.”

He turned back to the radio as Laurence and Niem gave him thumbs-up signs. “Yeah, Wedge, we can talk when we get back to LA. I know the perfect place, too. There's a little airfield up in the hills. I'll give you the exact location later. It has a great bar.”

Perfect!” Wedge waved from his cockpit, grinning under his orange leather helmet. “I'll see you when we get back, Luke. It's been...it's been really wonderful meeting you. I hope your story makes the front page.”

The others chuckled as Luke turned six shades of red. “Yeah, me too, Wedge.” He waved to him as Wedge pulled behind the Falcon.

Harry put his arms around Leia as they sat down in the back seat. “So, now that you've found your Papa's life work, what do you want to do next?”

Set up that museum, for starters.” Leia was going through what remained of the notebook. She'd thrown it in her pocket, and was just happy to see that the whole thing wasn't incinerated or torn to bits after they'd dived through all that shattering crystal. “Sell off Empire Industries. Keep an eye on everything going on in Europe. I really appreciated working with Jyn and Cassian and their people. Maybe I'll see if I can do more for them.”

How about us?” Harry leaned over and kissed her forehead. “Maybe a little of that money could go to a bungalow somewhere in LA for the two of us. Nothing fancy. We probably won't be there a lot, anyway. Not at first. After all, we're going to need a place to raise our children.”

Children?” Leia made a face. “We've barely gone on a regular date, and you're already making a family? Harry Solomon, you are the biggest, most annoying...”

He finally softened her complaints with a kiss that left her insides feeling like warm cocoa. “How about we get a place near the airfield?”

She gave him her most charming smile. “All right. But it'll have to be near where we put the museum. And I pick where we're holding the wedding.”

That was when Leia heard a sigh that didn't come from either of them. They both turned as one to face the seat across the aisle. Luke stared at the two of them, his eyes nearly filled with cartoon hearts. He gave them a dreamy grin. “Well, go on! This is better than a Joan Crawford movie. Maybe I ought to write a lonely hearts column instead of news stories.”

Luke!” they both yelled at once in annoyance. The trio finally just looked at each other, then at Luke's romantic smile, before bursting into laughter.

~*~*~*~*~*~

October 27th, 1970

Well, then what happened?”

Leia jolted out of her reverie as she stared at the Sword of Wisdom in it's glass case. She finally turned back around to the three young people behind her, the ones who were hearing this story. She'd specifically wanted to meet these three here. She had suspected for some time that they were the ones. “Well,” she said briskly, “the first thing I did was donate the Swords and Papa Bail's work to the university. The money from selling off Empire Industries funded the creation of the Bail Organa Museum of Cultural History and the Benton Kenobi Scholarship for Journalism.”

I know about the scholarship.” Rey Ryder, a diminutive, dark-haired Brit in a patchwork miniskirt and tight blouse, nodded. “I won it this year. Which,” her pretty face was turning a bit red, “I'm still a little embarrassed about. I can't believe I did it.”

Professor Holdo says you do outstanding work, dear.” She lead the trio to the Sword of Light. “You all do. Finn, I've heard nothing but good things about you ever since you came here.”

Glad I didn't stay with the First Order Company in Coruscant. They were hell to work for.” Finn was dressed far less colorfully than Rey in a plaid sweater vest over a yellow shirt and tan slacks that were mellow against his chocolate-colored skin. “Captain Solomon was nice enough to pay for my first year's tuition.”

I just wish he was here.” Poe tugged at his Air Force jacket. “How long is it going to take him to arrive?”

He'd better be here any second.” Leia sighed. “I wish Luke hadn't run off to the Middle East to work on stories about the situation there. I could use his help with this.”

With what?” Rey gently placed her fingers against the glass that protected the Sword of Wisdom. “Ever since I came here, I've felt this place...call to me. I didn't know why, until you said that you felt the same call.” She looked up, her hazel eyes wide with wonder. “Do we have the Force, Dr. Skylark? Is that why I feel the need to hold this?”

The older professor nodded. “So it would seem.”

Finn nearly pressed his nose against the case that held the three swords. “What happened after that? After you opened the museum and sold off Empire Industries?”

First of all, I spent a lot of the next few months after that cataloging Professor Chiang and Mrs. Hutt's collections. Between the two of them, they had at least a million dollars worth of precious artifacts. Professor Chiang already willed his collection to UCLA, which donated it to us. Yasmin Hutt's family wanted nothing to do with the artifacts and sold them to us as quickly as they could.” Leia frowned. “They started planning the museum in 1941, but it had to be put on hold for three years due to the war. The artifacts were kept in storage during that time.”

You were in the war, right?” Poe grinned. “That's how you met my parents. You were working at UCLA, and my mom was a student, and you two looked for artifacts together and apparently did some spying.”

Shhh!” Leia waved a finger at him. “That's top secret. We're not really supposed to talk about it. Your father and my husband would have never gotten involved if it wasn't for that business in Sacramento.”

Captain Solomon told me he flew during the war.” Finn finally looked away from the Sword of Light. “He flew bombing missions over Japan and brought cargo to the soldiers across enemy lines.”

Yes, he did.” Leia looked at her watch. “He'll tell you more about it himself if he ever appears.”

What about everyone else? I know you became the head of the Archeology Department at UCLA, Dr. Skylark.” Rey had one eye on the Sword of Wisdom and the other on her mentor. “Wedge Antilles, the rebels in Coruscant, Laurence...”

Laurence is still in the Riviera.” Leia chuckled. “He and Niem did take in refugees from countries persecuted by Nazi and fascist rule. He was still taking them in well into the early 50's. He expanded his holdings after that. He bought two more hotels and has added a spa and an extension to the Ville Du Nuage. Harry and I took Ben to visit him from time to time.”

Ben.” Rey looked up at the change in Leia's voice when she said that name. “Your son, Benton. He's not in UCLA anymore. Not that we ever saw him much. He was happier when he was off brooding somewhere.”

No.” Leia didn't really want to talk about what had gone wrong with Ben. “He never understood why the Swords didn't speak to him, like they did his grandfather. He studied the Force with me, and then he studied journalism with his uncle.”

I know this story.” Poe made a face. “He burned half Luke's school down, the one he started in London for aspiring journalists after the war.”

He was arrested for arson, but got off on a technicality.” Leia rubbed her head. “I don't know what to do with that boy. I guess we just weren't around enough. Didn't pay enough attention to him.”

If you ask me, too many people are paying attention to him now.” Rey rolled her eyes. “He thinks that changing his name to Kylo Ren and working for the First Order Company in Coruscant will make him a big-shot. It makes him a Communist. Everyone knows Hemilich Snoke is the real owner of the First Order Company. The Hux family takes orders from him.”

Poe nodded. “That's why Mr. Skylark took that assignment in Iran. He's trying to get away from the disaster with his school.”

The college girl returned to pressing her nose through the glass. “I'd like to meet him someday. I really admire his articles from the heart of Coruscant, Germany, and Poland during the war. I heard he even flew right into Berlin during the worst of the bombing and caught Hitler right before he died.”

There's a lot of stories flying around about my brother. Some of them are even true.” Leia reached over and pulled a switch behind a box. “And you'll get to ask him about them yourselves when we find him.”

Us?” Finn pointed to himself. “Us? Go to Europe, or the Middle East? Oh no. I can't. If the First Order Company knows I've left the country, they'll come after me.”

Don't worry, buddy!” Poe threw his arm around his best friend. “You have the Guardian of Strength to protect you!”

His friend snorted. “No offense, Poe, but that isn't reassuring.”

Rey ignored the boys. “What about the Rebel group, Jeanne and Cassian and their friends?”

And Bodhi?” Finn pulled away from Poe and returned to the Swords. “I liked him. I know how he feels about being a traitor and all.”

Leia's smile faded. “We worked with Jeanne and Cassian a few more times early in the war, shortly after the US entered. They and their entire unit died when they were shot while sending coded messages to Allied spies during the Battle of the Bulge.”

That's so sad.” Finn frowned. “I kind of wish they survived.”

Me too.” Leia gave them a small smile. “A part of me wonders if at least Jeanne and Cassian aren't in hiding somewhere, raising children and protesting the Vietnam War.”

Dr. Mothma is retired, right?” Poe leaned on the glass case holding the Sword of Strength. Leia smacked his shoulder off the glass. “I think I remember her from when I was in school. She retired during my fourth semester.”

Leia nodded. “Still alive, but very much in retirement. Admiral Ackbar, as you know, is now president and chief curator of the museum. He swears he's too active for retirement.”

Is that what we're going to do?” Rey looked up from the Sword of Wisdom. “Help the Admiral? One of those top secret things you mentioned?”

No, it has to do with the First Order Company.” Leia sighed. “They've been poking around in Guatemala, at the temples. The rubble of the Jedi Temple was cleared years ago, but the remains are still there. I think my son is after something. I just wish I knew what.” She sighed. “But first, I wish Harry would actually keep an appointment.”

Sorry, are we late?” Her husband rushed over, skidding on the highly polished wood floor. “The downtown traffic in LA is hell at this time of day.” His old Army Air Corps cap and jacket had been replaced by an Air Force cap and jacket, his handsome face was lined, and that scruffy mop of his had turned silver, but he was still her sheep-herder. “So, did you brief the kiddies on what they're gonna do?”

Charel growled behind him. Other than a few silver threads in his beard, the hulking Russian had barely changed in thirty years. Leia wondered if chasing after his family and grandchildren kept him young. She was so glad they'd managed to get them all over, just before the war started in the US.

Yeah, buddy. We know what we're doin'.” He patted Charel's shoulder.

Still selling illegal pets to millionaires?” Leia rubbed her temple. “Harry, we've been over this. You promised me you were going to get legitimate work.”

Hey, it paid well.” Harry grinned at the three youths. “Rey and Finn helped me out with the last one, right?”

Oh please.” Rey rolled her eyes. “Those big cats? They almost clawed us to death, and they did kill three of the men who were trying to get money off you.”

Finn nodded. “And one almost killed me! If we hadn't accidentally let them out of their cages, we'd all be dead right now!”

Her boss tried to give his skeptical wife a smile. “Honey, those leopards are worth big bucks! I swear, this is the last one!”

Sure it is.” Leia patted his cheek. “We'll discuss this later, flyboy.”

So, now that we're all here,” Poe leaned against a mannequin wearing an ancient Alderaanian ceremonial costume, “what's all the fuss about? Besides the First Order.”

These.” Charel and Harry helped Leia get the glass off the Swords. “Don't worry,” she assured the younger trio. “I had the security alarms for these turned off before I unlocked them.”

Wow.” Finn eyed the Sword of Light with amazement. “Can we...you know...”

This time, Leia's grin did reach her eyes. “Go right ahead. They want you to.”

Sure.” Poe picked up the Sword of Strength easily as gold light flowed over his hands. “I thought this would be heavier.” He swished it around, doing pretend feints. “Ha! So we meet again, Kylo Ren, for the first time! Have a taste of my crystal!”

Harry ducked out of his way. “Kid, you watch way too many old pirate movies on late-night TV.”

Stop goofing off, Poe.” Rey took the Sword of Wisdom gently, but reverently. She pointed it in front of her as watery green light flowed over her fingers. “I can feel it, Dr. Skylark. It's there. The power...the Force? Is that the Force?”

Yes.” Leia put her hand on the girl's. “That's the first thing we're going to teach you on the plane to the Middle East to pick up my dear brother.”

The Middle East? But they're killing people over there!” Finn gulped. “I don't think this is such a good idea after all...”

Aw, come on, kid.” Harry handed him the Sword of Light. “It won't bite you. I promise.”

Finn took the Sword delicately, like it would shatter with even the slightest touch. “I feel it, too,” he said softly. “It's like it was made for me. It needs me. The light...it's so warm, so...strong.”

Even as he spoke those words, a light beam that came in through the skylight over their heads reflected off the blue crystals on Finn's sword. The small beam just barely missed Poe, vaporizing a stuffed parrot in a display of Alderaanian warrior armor shown in its natural habitat.

Sorry!” Finn squeaked, nearly dropping the weapon. “I'm sorry! Really, I am! I'll pay for it! Honest! I didn't know I could do that!”

Leia sighed. “Don't worry, Finn. The museum can easily replace the parrot. That does illustrate why we called you here. We need to work with the three of you on directing and controlling your powers.”

Yeah.” Harry crossed his arms. “We had to learn the hard way, without supervision, while on the field. We figured you kids will need more help. After all,” he gave them his famous half-smirk, “we gotta get the old team back if we're going to deal with that new weapon they're building in Coruscant.”

New weapon?” Poe stopped pretending to have duels with an invisible Errol Flynn. “The Starkiller Ray. I had heard about that right before I left the Air Force. I hoped it was somebody's imagination.”

It's real, all right.” Leia sighed. “But we'll discuss that on the way to the airport.”

Wait!” Finn shook his head. “I'm not ready! I have to pack! What about school? And our jobs?”

Kid, you work for Char and me at the air field, remember?” Harry grinned and Charel let out a booming laugh. “I'm officially giving you your first vacation time as of this second.”

What about my job?” Rey frowned. “Maz will be out a waitress, and it's going to be the holidays soon.”

I think she'll understand.” Leia turned to Poe. “And you work for me at UCLA. As of now, you're also on sabbatical. I'll continue to pay your salary.”

Poe grinned. “Groovy! We're going on an adventure!”

Harry laughed. “Yeah, well, no one's going anywhere unless we get moving.”

He's right.” Leia took three plain wooden boxes lined with cotton and velvet from under her arms. “This is for the Swords while we're in LA. We'll keep them under lock and key at our house until we're ready to leave.”

And that will be in about three hours.” Harry put an arm around Poe. “Hey kid, wanna go get a drink at Maz's and talk planes? Leia told me you're quite a pilot yourself.”

Oh, I've been around a plane or two.” Poe smirked. “I've got some stories about the Viet Cong that will make your hair stand on end, old man.”

Harry gave him the smirk again. “Try me, kid.”

Charel sighed and growled to Finn as Harry and Poe walked off together. “I'm not much of a drinker. I need to pack, anyway.” He nodded at his booming bass. “You'll drive me and Rey to our place? Great, thanks.”

Rey raised an eyebrow. “I didn't know you spoke Russian.”

Only a little.” Finn shrugged. “I hope that's what he's saying, at any rate. We've gotta pack, and I need lunch, and to write my will and call Rose and ask her if I know what I'm doing and if I'm crazy to be doing it.”

Oh Finn!” Rey shook her head. “I'm sure we'll be fine.”

Rey,” Leia turned to her as Finn headed out with Charel, “I want you to be careful. One of the powers the Sword of Wisdom grants is precognition, or second sight. It's cloudy, but I have the feeling something terrible is going to happen...and it'll involve you, me, my brother, and Ben...Kylo Ren.”

You too?” Rey frowned. “I've felt gloom-and-doom-y for months, and I don't think it's just what I've been seeing on the nightly news.”

Snoke is planning something big.” Leia held the boxes closer, almost dropping one. “And I'm sure my son has something even bigger in mind. I just wish I knew what.”

Rey took one of the boxes and gave her a reassuring smile. “We'll find out together. All of us.”

Leia nodded. “Thank you, dear. Yes, we will.” She flashed Rey a slightly harried smile of her own. “Now, let's get going, before those crazy men of ours get themselves drunk and use those strength powers to start bar brawls.”

Now Leia,” Rey laughed, “what's the use of powers if you can't have some fun with them?”

You know, Rey,” Leia chuckled, “I think we're going to get along just fine.” She put her empty arm around the girl's shoulders. “Let's go rescue our men from themselves.”

The girl just grinned at her. “Don't we always?”

As they walked out of Alderaanian culture room, Leia took one last look over her shoulder at the mock-up of the Temples in the warrior display. It may have been made of paper mache, but it brought back so many memories. If only Luke was there!

Don't worry, brother.” Leia whispered to the quiet room. “We'll make things right.”

Her only answer was one last warm, reassuring golden sun beam from the skylight, warming her face and her heart, as encouraging as if her dear, silly brother was right there with her. He would be, again. Someday.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment