Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Introduction - Tales of the Gold Wookie

Another genre I'm a big fan of is swashbuckling adventures about archaeologists and treasure hunters. I also love mid-20th-century history. This was originally going to be a more typical 20's gangster story, but first I saw photos of Harrison Ford in a bomber jacket (for the 1979 movie Hanover Street) on Tumblr, and then ran into this Tumblr photoset, and I though...pilot. He's a pilot for hire in the 30's. 

Other inspirations include the late Elizabeth Peters' long-running book series about female archaeologist Amelia Peabody and her family uncovering lost artifacts in Egypt, the short-lived early 80's TV show Tales of the Gold Monkey (and the Disney cartoon series Tail Spin it may have inspired), the novels of H. Rider Haggard, and the National Treasure and, of course, the Indiana Jones films.

I actually began this story in the summer of 2016, but I couldn't figure out the plot then and moved on to other projects. I gave it another brief shot around April 2017, but then decided I wanted to use the Rogue One characters as freedom fighters. Ended up waiting for the movie to come out so I could know them better...and in one way or another, never got back to it until June. This is one of the earliest Star Wars fanfic ideas I had, probably around the winter-spring of 2016. I don't think it's the best thing I've ever done, but I'm glad I finally finished it. Here's hoping you enjoy the adventures of Dr. Leia Skylark, her brother, and their friends, too!

(And yes, there's a sequel hook for a reason. I may return to this universe, though it likely won't be any time in the near future, considering the backlog of story ideas I have.)

No comments:

Post a Comment