Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Adventures of the Crimson Hawk, Part 9

That summer was the most enchanting month and a half Leia Organa had ever spent. Henry and Luke introduced her and Aunt Breha as much of Naboo as they could. They and Wedge Antilles drove them through Theed Town and the outlying villages. They marveled over cozy medieval half-timbered homes, towering Gothic cathedrals, massive palaces, and elaborate outdoor art galleries.

Luke gallantly took Leia, Breha, and Mon Mothma shopping one sunny afternoon. To Leia's surprise, he enjoyed it. He knew the cut and style of all the latest men's fashions, and quite a bit about women's clothing as well. It was he who recommended the milliner who sold Leia the dashing straw hat with the pale blue flowers and the fabric shop where Breha found the roll of black and white crepe de chine for her Diamond Gala ball gown.

How do you know so much about clothes?” Leia took the hat box from him as they left the milliner's shop. “You said you grew up as a farmer.”

Aunt Berta used to take me fabric shopping when I was younger,” Luke explained, “and I'd help her sew our clothes. Uncle Owen complained that it wasn't an appropriate skill for a boy, but Aunt Berta said I grew out of my clothes so fast, I might as well learn how to make my own.” The blond boy bit his lip. “She told me I got it from my mother. Aunt Berta only met her a few times, but she said she was the most beautiful and well-dressed woman she ever saw. Mother only wore the finest clothes, even when she was visiting relatives with Father in Tatoonie.”

Leia smiled. “Your mother sounds lovely. I think she'd get along well with Aunt Breha.”

I wish I'd known her. Ben told me about her, and Aunt Berta mentioned her sometimes. Her name was Padme.” Luke looked far-away. “Ben said I was a lot like her.”

Padme?” Leia raised an eyebrow. “Like Queen Padme of Naboo, the one who was killed? Are you related to her?”

Luke smiled wanly. “She's a...distant cousin.” He took her arm. “Why don't we go get a sandwich? I know a cafe in Theed Town that serves the best ham you've ever tasted.”

Luke?” Leia pulled her arm away. “I think we're being watched.” She pointed across the street. A man in a green suit and a long green coat, a wide green hat with a red band and feather shading his face, leaned casually against a door frame across the street. “I've seen him all morning, usually hiding in doorways or just sitting across from us at cafes.”

Her blond friend shrugged. “He's just standing there, smoking a cigarette. Come on. Let's go get your aunt and see where Charles parked the carriage.”

Leia saw the man in green again a few days later when she, Henry, and Charles were returning from the Paradise Pier Amusement Park at the riverside village of Ord Mantell. “I still don't know how you managed to beat me at the Shooting Gallery,” Henry complained amiably. He pushed a large stuffed dog under his arm. “Where did you learn how to do that? Most women I've known wouldn't have been caught dead around any weapon more deadly than a sewing needle.”

Leia shrugged, wiping her grimy fingers off on her handkerchief. “I used to slip away from my aunts and hide in the barracks with our military men. They thought I was cute and taught me how the guns worked. I did a lot of reading in the castle, too.”

Too bad you're so set on following in your uncle's footsteps.” The businessman followed behind her and Charles, leaning heavily on his cane. “You'd be a great Annie Oakley.”

Unlike you, I have a job I can't walk out on.” Leia turned up her nose. “Alderaan needs me. Uncle Bail and Aunt Breha couldn't have children. I'm all they have.” She gave him a sly smile. “Didn't you say you'd be leaving at least two weeks ago?”

He shrugged. “You know how things are. Couple of business propositions came up. We still have to get things settled here.”

Leia's little smile was knowing. “Ahhh.” As they walked across the street, her eyes picked up a flash of green coming from around a corner. “Henry, I don't know if Luke told you this, but I keep seeing this one man everywhere I go.”

I can't say I blame him.” Henry's famous smirk tugged at the corners of his pink lips. “You're just so fascinating, Your Worship.”

First of all, stop calling me that.” Leia peered across the street. “Henry, he's coming closer.” Her voice rose a bit. “I think he has a knife.”

Henry,” Charles took his arm. “Her Grace ain't seein' things. That's Bob Fettson out there. I'd recognize that flashy get-up of his anywhere.” The huge bodyguard managed a quick glance over his shoulder. “Yes, he does have a knife. A gun too, if I'm not mistaken. And yes, it is aimed at us.”

Damn it.” His employer hobbled a little faster. “Should have known Jenkins would start sending people sooner or later.” He grabbed Leia's hand as Fettson crossed the street, heading their way. “We have to get out of here, and fast.”

The big valet let out a stream of what Leia assumed to be several curses in his native language. “We're not going to have the time to reach our carriage.” He shoved everyone into a taxi sitting by the curb, then leaped in himself.

The driver, an old man in a ragged suit, looked a little startled under the stovepipe hat. “Where to, guv'ner?”

Anywhere that isn't here.” Henry shoved a wad of bills in the man's hands. “Take the back roads, and be quick about it.”

The man grinned, showing the gaps between his stained teeth. “For that amount of money, I'll take you halfway to China, mate.” The carriage jolted to life, leaping into the crowded streets. Mothers pulled their children out of the way. Men in pale linen suits shook their fists as the cart barely missed running them over.

Leia looked over her shoulder. “Henry, there's a carriage behind us. A big one. Looks like an ice wagon or something used to transport animals to the zoo.”

Henry's eyes slid to where she looked. He let loose with his own stream of curses, many of which he'd likely picked up from Charles. “That's his wagon. Fettson inherited it from his dad Jan years ago, after the guy was killed in some fracas with the Jedi Guards. That thing is his baby. He uses it to haul whatever his latest catch is.”

She didn't like the sound of that. “Is he a big game hunter?”

You might put it that way.” Henry winced as the carriage road over the sidewalk, throwing his arms around Leia to protect her from the falling awnings and flower pots. The tall businessman awkwardly pulled himself into a sitting position, looking over his shoulder as he did. “Charles,” he groaned, “Fettson's still back there.” Suddenly a shot rang out. A dark blur whizzed through the air, barely missing him. “And now he's taking pot shots!” Leia's eyes widened as Henry pulled a gun from a pocket in his jacket. He pushed Leia down as he returned fire.

Who is this fellow who's following you?” The driver ducked two bullets, his voice going up several notches. “He's not exactly the friendly type, is he?”

No, he's the type whose friends end up dead.” Henry handed Leia the gun. “Here. Hold this.” Leia fired off a few shots while Henry leaned over the side of the carriage. He grabbed a cart and managed to turn it around while its owner was dealing with a customer. The last of Leia's shots were aimed at Fettson's tires, denting them until they rolled into the large fruit cart. Fettson went flying into a mound of squashed strawberries and bruised apples.

That ought to hold him for a while.” Henry slid the gun back into his coat. “Driver, take us back into town. I'll pay you extra for the damage to the vehicle.”

All right, Henry.” Leia glared at him. “What was that all about?”

Let's just say, I owe some unpleasant people a few dollars.” Henry winced as he moved his bad knee. “That man is from the collection agency. They don't like it when people are behind in their payments.”

Charles snorted. Leia rolled her eyes. “He was shooting you and following not only us, but Luke and me a few days ago. This man wants a lot more than a few dollars.”

Henry gave her the famous smirk, but it looked tired. “How about I explain the whole thing to you at Corellia Manor tomorrow? I'll get my cook to make us a decent lunch. The kid's going to be around, working on his fencing, and Charles and Rusty will be there to play chaperon. I'll even show you one of my workshops.”

One of?” Leia leaned back in the seat. “You have others? Where?”

The lame business owner shrugged. “In Lothal, near the junkyard. Makes it pretty easy to get parts, if you can stand the smell.” The driver stopped back on the block they'd started by, right near the field where Charles parked the carriage. Henry peeled a few extra credits from his wallet. “This should be more than enough to repair the damage done to your cab by my colleague back there.”

Thank you, sir.” The man tucked the bills into his pocket. “The next time you call on me, do it when you're not being shot at. It spooks the horses.”

I'll try to remember that.” Henry let Charles help him down, then leaned on his ever-present cane as he watched Leia step onto the street. “Ready to head back to Chalindria Court?”

Yes, I am.” Leia gave him a playful grin of her own. “I've been wanting to see your house. Mon Mothma told me no one's been in there besides you, Luke, Sir Kenton, Charles, and your servants for years.”

That's because there really isn't much to see. Typical bachelor quarters.” He took Leia's arm. “Think of yourself as part of a club, then. You'll be the first woman to see the inside of Corellia Manor since Kenton's old Jedi Guard mentor Quinton Jinn lived there, thirty years ago.”


Her smile was blinding. “I wouldn't miss it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment