Friday, November 4, 2016

The Resistance Kids and the Haunted House, Epilogue

Rey had to admit, the living room was rather cozy without the cobwebs, and with the dust and debris from Hank' fall swept away. Even Threepio didn't seem that odd as he served the group hot apple cider and pumpkin cookies. He was more like a golden butler than a robot. The cops were long gone. Statura took everyone's statements, then helped his boys get the First Order Gang to the nearest station for further questioning.

Leia and Hank were together on the remains of the broken couch. Luke sat on an overstuffed, slightly cracked chair next to them. “So,” Leia started, “you've spent the last five years looking for a building for your new school?”

Actually, more like three years.” Luke sighed. “I went up to our old cabin in the Adirondack Mountains to recuperate for the first two years. The one we recuperated at after that gangster kidnapped Hank that one time.”

The older man had removed his makeup and clown costume. He now wore an old brown robe over his Victorian suit, his gentle round face scrubbed pink. “I finally got bored. I loved teaching. I missed being around children, helping them grow. I wanted to find a place to start my school again, start over. Many parents blamed me for my pupils' death. I was afraid they wouldn't trust me. Not to mention, I didn't want the First Order Gang to catch wind of this school and destroy it, too.”

But why here?” Rey waved her hand at the house.

Leia had the scrapbook open on her lap. She lifted up the book to reveal a black-and-white photo of two rows of kids and young adults standing on the porch of Skywalker Manor. Ben, Andrew and Patricia Waller stood in back. There was mostly boys and young men in short pants and sweaters. One of the few girls wore an Indian sari and striped head scarf.

Mother and Father took in groups of street children who had no place else to go,” Leia began. “Father went so far as to adopt Ashoka Tano, a little Indian girl whose family had abandoned her. They and Uncle Ben taught them about the police life. Most of them went on to the New York Police Academy, including Ashoka. She was the first Indian woman in the NYPD. She served with distinction for years before dying in a gang shootout in 1917.”

Uncle Ben told us they loved it. Mother wanted to use this as a school, but she couldn't get the proper permits from New York at the time.” Luke gave them his sunny smile. “I already have the permits. I'm hoping to buy this place from Snoke as soon as I can get the paperwork. With Starkiller Industries exposed for malpractice, it shouldn't be too hard to get this off them.”

What's with Goldenrod here?” Hank poked at Threepio. The yellowish robot pushed his fingers away indignantly. “How'd you throw him together?”

“I didn't.” Luke's normal laugh was far more pleasant than his scary clown cackle. “Artie Baker made him for me. I needed someone to help me with my basic chores while I did my research.”

My name is not 'Goldenrod,' sir.” Threepio bristled. “My name is C-3P0, human-robot relations. I must say, you are almost as rude as that little tin can Mr. Baker keeps at his home!”

Leia sighed. “Luke, as long as we're confessing things...I've known since yesterday that you were here. That's where I went when Hank took the kids to Artie Baker's. I made a few calls, talked to a few people. Threepio hasn't exactly been discreet. People have seen a golden man walking up and down the streets for weeks now. They all thought he was either a figment of their imagination or practicing for Halloween.”

Hank frowned. “Is that why you wanted to go to the party? To confront Luke?”

That was part of it.” She took his hand. “But mostly, I wanted to see you again. I really have missed you.” She winked at him. “You still drive me crazy.”

Hank's grin nearly split his face. The kids all whistled. Baby howled from Poe's lap. Luke laughed again. “Some things never change, hon.” Hank gave her a kiss, which just brought in more whistling and howls.

I'm glad I found Officer Statura at the deli down the street.” Kaydel pulled a musty old knitted blanket around her shoulders. “The thunder's gone, but the rain was still kind of coming down then.”

Finn had an arm around Rey. They were on a love seat on the opposite side from Han and Leia. The other kids were all in folding chairs. “All's well that ends well, I guess. Do you think they'll really put the First Order Gang in jail?”

I hope so.” Rey's fingers curled around her broom handle. “Ben could have killed Hank, and they did kill Lor San Tekka. I hope they're in jail for a long time.”

As long as all of you are all right.” Leia looked sad at the mention of her son. Hank gave her a squeeze. She smiled at him, then turned to Poe. “Will you be up for work tomorrow? We need to find out where Snoke went to. He may attempt his experiments somewhere else.”

Poe grinned back, his arm around Jess. “I'll report first thing tomorrow morning, Mrs. Solo.”

Hank shook his finger at the others. “And don't think you kids are off the hook. I expect you all bright and early tomorrow morning, usual time.”

Don't expect him, though.” Charles chuckled through his beard. “He'll be moaning and groaning about his injuries until I let him sleep it off.”

The whole group laughed. “I'm not that much of a baby, Charlie!”

Leia just kissed his cheek. “Happy Halloween, dear.”

Finn gave Rey a little kiss, ignoring the whistling and “oohs” from the others. “You too, Rey. I'm glad...well, I'm glad I said I liked you.”

I'm glad you did, too.” Rey squeezed his hand. “I thought you'd never say something!”

Finn blushed. “I was waiting for you to make the first move.”

Luke tipped his head back and let loose with his famous clown cackle as the others laughed around them. Everyone just stopped and stared at him. He did look a little spooky, with his fingers curled and held out like a zombie, and the fire illuminating his bright blue eyes. In fact, as Leia would say later, he looked uncannily like his father...

He finally stopped long enough to say “Happy Halloween!” in his own voice before leaning over to grab Leia. She smacked him, and suddenly everyone was laughing.

Rey had to admit, it had certainly been a memorable Halloween. There was still work to do. Hank and Leia certainly seemed happier, but they weren't really back together. And someone had to help Luke with his new school. She wanted to talk to Artie Baker about helping him with his creations, And there was Finn, the sweetest, dearest cowardly lion-boy she'd ever known.


Suddenly, the Bowery seemed full of possibilities. The storm was gone, they were together, and even New York was peaceful outside. She swore she saw a gray face peering into a window, but the moment she looked again, it was gone. She returned to passing the scrapbook around with the others, recalling Halloweens past...and making hopes for Halloweens future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment