Saturday, June 1, 2019

The Rebel League and the Death Ray, Part 7


The White Queen was in her pristine office on the last floor of the Royal Naboo Hotel on the edge of the thriving Bespin District. She'd lived here since she and her husband had separated after her children were born. Leia always felt a shiver when she walked in, and not just because the air conditioning was already turned up full-blast. Everything in her world was white, cream, or the softest yellows and beige, from the thick velvet carpet to the vintage Art Deco furnishings. It was all soft, quiet, and in the height of impeccable taste, and that included the White Queen herself.

“Hello, Leia!” The former Senator Patricia Amidala went right to her daughter the moment she dashed in the office and gave her the biggest hug she could. “You don't know how worried Martha and I were when we found out Vader had you. We owe your young men more than we can ever repay.”

“Mother,” Leia blushed, “they're not my young men. They rescued me, and I'm grateful, but I barely know them.”

Patricia gave her a daughter a grin similar to her own. “That's not what I heard at the meeting earlier. I think they both sounded very interested in you.” In looks, she took a lot after Mother. She was still gorgeous and elegant, even in her early 60's. Her crisp cream-colored linen suit was impeccably tailored, and her silver-streaked fawn-colored locks were pulled back into a sleek bun. Her lips were a deep crimson against her pale powdered face and wide dark eyes.

Her daughter shook her head. “I like Luke a lot. I think he's very sweet, but Mother...there's just something...about him. Something familiar. It's like I know him from somewhere, but I can't place it.” She chewed thoughtfully on her lip. “His powers are familiar, too. He's strong with them, despite claiming he only found out about them today.”

“What about the other one?” She smirked. “Sounds like a hell-raiser to me. Reminds me of your father in his younger years. He always questioned everything the Jedi League ever said or did. Drove Ben and Ahsoka up the wall.”

Leia chuckled. “That's what Ahsoka always told me.” She leaned back in the plush white chair. “All I know is his name is Harris Arietta. He drives a van that looks ratty, but has more gadgets than Rudy's storage room, dresses like an urban cowboy, and has an ego that could dwarf entire planets.”

“But you like him.” Patricia gave her a knowing smile. “I know that look. That is the look of a woman who has fallen head over heels with a man she just met and doesn't want to admit it.”

“Mother!” Leia groaned. “All we did most of the time was argue! He's just a friend, all right? Barely that.”

“Uh-huh. We'll come back to this subject later.” She ruffled a stack of papers and pulled out a pen. “Vader. I want to know more about him. Did you see his face?”

“No, never. He wore the helmet the whole time.” The black and white clock on the wall ticked several seconds before Leia went on. “Mother...there was something about him, too. Something familiar. He knew The Negotiator. Knew him well, from what he said during their duel. I think he may have been a Jedi at one time.”

Patricia took in a deep breath and finally nodded. “I've felt the same thing. Every time I've seen him, heard his voice, it's like...I know him from somewhere. Know him well. I just can't figure it out.” She went to the window. “We have to find out who he is, Leia. With Tarkin reportedly having gone up with the Mufasar Iron Works, he's the head man now. If we can stop him, we might be able to end this whole thing.”

“I don't really remember much about what he said. He and that walking skeleton Tarkin mainly asked me a lot of questions about you and the Rebel League.” She rubbed her arm where she'd been injected with the sleeping drug. “They tried to drown me. I'm lucky Luke was able to get me out, or I wouldn't be here right now.”

“We owe those two a great deal.” She turned her child towards the door. “You go change. You can stay with me at my penthouse until we can find you a new place to live.” Her red lips dropped sadly. “We'll talk about Bail and Breha's funeral later. Right now, this is a happy occasion.”

Leia nodded. “Permission to talk freely, Mother?”

“Of course.”

Her daughter threw her arms around her mother, giving her a big hug. “I love you, Mother. You're all I have left now. Don't ever leave me.”

Patricia patted her on the head. “I love you too, dear. Now, go snap up those young gentlemen of yours, before some other woman gets her hooks into them.”

“Mother!” Leia groaned, but it came out more as a laugh. “All right. I'll talk to them.”

“That's all I ask. Have fun. Save me a few of Kes' M&M Cookies. He needs to patent those things. They're addicting.”

She chuckled. “I just hope there's a few left for me!”

Patricia settled back down in her chair as Leia headed to the bedrooms to change out of her Force Girl jumpsuit. There was something about Vader. She didn't often use her wind powers anymore, but that didn't mean she couldn't feel it. She'd felt him before. It almost felt like...like someone she'd known very well. Known, and loved.

She grabbed her vintage ecru and gold phone and slid her fingers into the rotary dial. “Hello, City Hall? I'd like to have a chat with Police Chief Darren Vedder....”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Luke felt much better after he'd changed and taken a shower. Wedge offered him the bathroom at the apartment he shared two blocks down with Wes, Hobbie, and Deak. It was a tiny three-room affair with a shower that was little more than a closet, but at least he was cleaner. He borrowed a black t-shirt and jeans from Hank and finally got the yellow jacket he'd loaned Wedge months ago back from his closet.

“So, Aunt Bertha is staying with a friend in Anchorhead until we see how much insurance money we're getting and she can start rebuilding the apartment,” he was telling Wedge and Hobbie. “I don't know where I'm staying until then. I need to go through my stuff at the apartment and see what I can salvage.”

Wedge shook his head. “You saw our place, man. We barely have enough room for us.”

“Yeah, dude.” Hobbie chugged his extra-strong coffee. Kes got it super-cheap from family who lived in Gutamala. “But you're free to visit whenever you want. We hold insane parties all the time, especially in the summer.”

“Hi, kid.” Harris' idea of “dressing up” was buttoning his white shirt up to his chin and wearing a clean vest. “How are you feeling? You're up and moving, so that's a good thing.”

“Tired.” The young man gave him a shaky smile. “Thanks. For everything. I literally owe you my life.”

Harris grinned through his cup of black coffee. “Maybe someday, you can repay the favor, Junior.”

“Actually, maybe I can.” Luke sipped his own home-brewed sweet iced tea. “My uncle had several customers who were still waiting for furniture when he died. I know you're a carpenter. I thought you could take on a few new clients.” Harris' brow furrowed. He went on quicker. “It would be a new, legitimate business. You could probably make more money building quality shelves and tables for rich business owners in Nar Shadda than you ever did with...whatever you did before. You'll pay off that debt in no time.”

The light went on in Harris' eyes, but he only gave him a nod. “I'll think about it, kid.”

Chewbacca poked his nose at Luke, snuffling around his side. He scratched his ears, eliciting a happy whimper from the furry dog. “Hey, boy. I owe you one, too. You're a good pilot, for a dog.” The canine nudge Luke's side, hoping for more scratches. His new friend stroked his shaggy back.

Harris chuckled. “I think Chewie likes you. He kept whimpering until I turned around and went after you guys.” As soon as the last drops of his coffee was gone, he tossed the cup in the nearest metal trash can. “Hey kid, do you have a place to stay? Heard you mention a while back that you were out a place until your aunt figures out what she's doin'.”

“Not yet.” Luke took another sip of iced tea. “I might ask Leia, or my buddy Rob from school. He's hoping to make horror movies, but right now, he's a waiter at the Elm Street Diner a couple of blocks from here.”

“My van isn't the Ritz, but it might be a good place to hang out until you can get back on your feet.” He leaned on the pink, turquoise, and yellow square-print Formica counter, settling on one of the slightly cracked vinyl seats. “I've got an extra bunk. Chewie usually sleeps on it, but he can sleep with me while you're here.”

Luke couldn't help smiling as he hopped onto the stool next to him, putting his glass on the counter. “I wouldn't want to put Chewie out of his bed.”

“Nahh, he doesn't mind.” Harris leaned over and scratched Chewie's ears, then gave him a muffin he'd snitched from someone's plate. “Right boy?” The big dog barked and bumped Harris' knuckle before slurping up his treat.

Kes Dameron, a short Hispanic man with thick sable curls and bright eyes, turned up the small black and white TV on the counter as he came to see if anyone wanted more coffee. “Hey, isn't that the chica bonita you rescued tonight, Luke?” His smirk was almost as dirty as Harris'. “I think you like her, the way you talked about her upstairs earlier.”

Luke took one look at the TV screen and spit tea all over the counter. Even in black and white, Mara's red hair and green eyes stood out like jewels. Her hair was perfectly brushed and shiny, and her dust-smeared pantsuit had been replaced by a black and white houndstooth dress suit. “It is her!” He wiped off his shirt, then tried to do Harris before he pushed his hand away and wiped himself. “Kes, turn it up! I want to hear what she's saying!”

A photo of the fight and the explosion popped up in a box behind her as she turned her piercing gaze to the camera. “Today, citizens over downtown and the Mimban and Yavin districts witnessed the titanic battle between two supposedly mythical organizations. A group of rebels destroyed hundreds of dollars worth of property, including the mysterious Death Ray that was connected to the terrorist organization known as the Empire. Darth Vader, aka the Father of Death, lead the Imperial attack. The Empire is said to have several splinter factions in high places, including City Hall and among the high rollers at Nar Shadda.”

A brief shot of Coruscant's hulking Chief of Police popped up next. He was an intimidating presence in his shiny black and blue Coruscant Police uniform, with the wide-brimmed hat that forever shadowed his face. “In an interview at City Hall less than an hour after the battle, Chief Darren Vedder refused to answer any questions about the incident. He claimed that these rebels would be under investigation for destruction of private property and the death of over sixty government workers, including Dr. Peter Tarkin, one of the most prominent members of the City Council. He said that Mayor Palpatine is aware of the problems with these rebels and is doubling their efforts to end the corruption and the reign of terror of these menaces.”

They watches as the footage switched from City Hall to the skies over the Channel 11 building. The back of Luke in his orange and white jumpsuit could clearly be seen streaking across the sky in the shaky footage; if he squinted, he could see the outline of the Millennium Falcon, with Harris dangling on the rope. “I would have met certain doom if it wasn't for the brave efforts of one young rebel who called himself 'The Jedi Knight.' I never saw his face, but he rescued me when my helicopter was about to crash. It's he you have to thank tonight for this news getting through.” She gave the camera a genuinely warm smile that turned Luke's insides to mush. “Whoever you are, Jedi Knight, wherever you are...thank you.”

Wedge slugged his arm as Mara announced the weather forecast. “Oooh, I think she likes you!”

“Looks like you've got yourself your own Lois Lane.” Harris' smirk was out in full force. “And she's almost as cute as the one in the comics.” Chewbacca threw in his own wolfish howl between bites of the peanut butter cookies Harris let him eat off his hand.

“So,” Kes went on as he refilled Luke's iced tea, “when are you going to ask her out?”

“Guys!” Luke wished he wasn't so inclined towards blushing. “Not only do I not actually know her, but she doesn't know that the Jedi Knight is me...or, that I'm him. She probably thinks I'm some annoying dork, if she thinks of me at all.”

“Hey,” Harris said with that grin as he ate the last peanut butter cookie himself, “that works for Superman.”

“I'm not Superman!” Luke groaned. “I've known about my powers for less than 48 hours.”

Kes handed him the glass. “And you took down a Death Ray in that time. Don't be so hard on yourself, nino.”

Leia walked up to them next, seating herself next to Luke on the other side of the counter. She was a vision in a white gossamer sundress with a ruffled collar and skirt and silvery accents. “Hi, Luke,” she began with a smile. “I was hoping to find you.” Her dark eyes caught Harris leering at the tight ruffles. “Oh, are you still here? I thought you left and went back to whatever it is you were doing.”

Harris somehow managed to lean back casually on a chrome and vinyl stool without falling over. “Chewie and I decided to hang around for a while, Your Hotness. We were just offered a job making quality furniture for real paying customers.”

“Real paying customers? Ones that don't deal in illegal substances? Imagine that.” She turned her back on him, swinging to Luke. “I have a proposition for you. I thought you could be my partner, and we could help each other.”

Luke's grin nearly split his face. “Really?”

She chuckled. “You claim to be new at this, but you're already doing very well, enough to blow up a weapon the size of a small moon, anyway. I can help you learn about your powers if you help me control mine.”

“I'll make the deal,” he insisted, “on one condition. Harris and Chewbacca have to be allowed to join. They helped destroy the Death Ray, too...and more to the point, they saved me.”

She raised an eyebrow at Harris' own grin and Chewie's long howl. “And what do you bring to the table, Mr. Arietta? Besides that giant ego of yours.”

“You saw my van, doll.” Harris pulled a slender, long-barreled gun out of his vest. “I'm not just skilled with wood. I can build anything. This is one I'm working on now. Shoots my own special crystal bullets that can take out an elephant in an instant.”

“Too bad we don't have an elephant to practice on.” Leia picked up the gun and casually shot it across the room. The sound made Wedge drop his coffee cup and Charlie throw his in the air. It shattered three cups and a coffee carafe. “Very nice.” She handed it back to him with a small smile of her own. “You might be useful after all.”

“Thanks.” Chewie barked and nudged Leia's leg, giving her a lick. She scratched under his chin, prompting whimpery noises from the furry dog. “Chewie's a big dog. He sinks his teeth into ya, he can take out half a leg. But if he loves ya, it's for life. I rescued him from being used for dog fighting by one of the Army units in Vietnam.”

“Just take the gun outside the next time you want to use it.” Kes made a face and rushed out with a pan and a small whisk broom. “I don't have the money to constantly be replacing crockery because you idiots are shooting off your weapons in here.”

Harris gave him that easy smirk. “Sorry, man. We'll be careful.”

“That's right,” Leia added. “We'll replace the cups if you're low on them.” She turned to Luke and Harris. “So, boys, are we in business?”

Luke nodded. “Sure! I'm almost done with school for the summer, anyway. It'll give me something to do while I help Aunt Bertha with the repairs on her apartment.” His grin was a little more shy. “I'm thinking of buying Ben's comics shop. I love the place. I don't want to run it forever, but it might be something to do this summer when we're not chasing Imperials.”

“Need a couple of good comics salesmen?” Wedge waved his hand at himself and his friends. “We're not ashamed to admit that we read Spider Man and Batman and Heavy Metal. We know superhero lore like the back of our hands. We could help you.”

Harris nodded. “And I'll see if I can build you some new counters for that place, maybe expand the shelves so you can hold more inventory.”

“Hey, kidlets!” Rudy and Charlie ambled over. Rudy had a bandage on his pug nose, and his right arm was in a sling. “How's things?”

Charlie was dressed in a mustard plaid leisure suit and sipping iced tea. “I'm so glad to see everyone back on their feet, including Rudy. I don't mind telling you that I never want to go through anything like what we just did ever again!”

“Actually,” Leia admitted as she sipped her iced coffee, “we're going to form a team within a team, you might say. I was thinking you'd like to join us.”

Rudy spoke before Charlie could open his mouth. “Sure, kidlets! What did you have in mind?”

“For one thing,” Harris swung his stool to him, “I wanna talk gadgets with you. I heard you were one of the ones who invented the Jet Packs.”

“Oh, yeah.” He sat down next to Harris at the counter. “Worked on 'em with Hera Sylendulla, Doc Dodonna, Gary Erso, and a couple of other folks for years.” He took a swig of his can of RC Cola, then fished a wrinkled paper out of his pocket. “I have a lot of ideas, but I need someone smart to toss 'em around with. You and shorty back there,” he nodded at Luke, “seem like you know what you're doin'.”

Luke peered over his shoulder. “A snow pack?”

“Yeah.” The shorter man spread the blueprint out on the table. “The weather ain't gonna be nice like this forever, and we may need to accept calls for help in other climates. We have to adjust the packs and be ready for anything.”

Harris nodded on his other side. “Yeah, I know a few folks I could get parts off of.”

Leia stood between Luke and Harris, Chewie at her heels. “So, gentlemen, do you accept my proposal? Are you ready to become part of our team? We can't exactly afford medals for you, but this might be something even better.”

Luke put his hand on hers, surprised at the simple familiarity of that gesture. “I have nothing to lose. The Empire took everything from me, and you too, Leia. We'll show Vader and his boss that no matter how many people he thinks he can intimidate, he can't knock us out of the skies.”

“Sure, why not?” Harris threw his hand on theirs. “We're not doing anything. Not now, anyway. At least until we can get more money.” Chewie barked an affirmative and managed to throw a paw on his owner's hand.

Wedge put his hand down. “I'm speaking for myself and the rest of the Rogue Squadron. Just give us a party, a jet pack, and a cute chick, and we're ready for anything.”

“We're in!” Rudy slapped his small palm down and grabbed Charlie's. “This is gonna be fun!”

Charlie only groaned. “Why me?”

~*~*~*~*~*~

He was nonchalant, Vedder gave him that. Most men would have quaked with fear the moment he stepped into the room, or at least stood and acknowledged him. Bob A. Fettman showed no signs of fear. He continued to lean on the side of his desk in his leather jacket and dark glasses, a green Harley Davidson t-shirt and red stripes down his wide-legged trousers. His long black hair hid most of his other features but a prominent nose.

“First of all, get off my desk.” Vedder gave him a shove.

He moved, but raised an eyebrow with a smirk. “Police brutality, pig man? Let's not get nasty here. I can help you. I know the jerk in the flying van who rescued that kid's bacon today.”

The chief of police stood where he was. “You know him. Tell me about him, then.”

Long fingers tossed the cigarette on the floor; steel-plated toes ground it into tobacco particles. “Name's Harris Arietta. He says he's a carpenter and handyman, but he mostly runs coke for my boss Jake Hunter. His last shipment never made its destination. Had to dump it after the feds caught wise. Boss ain't too happy about that.”

“Hunter.” A long, bony hand in an expensive black Bill Blass suit waved from the seat behind the desk. “I know him. Or at least, I know his name. Chief Vedder has been working with him for several years. He looks the other way if Hunter provides us with a small percentage of his profits.”

“Who's he?” Fettman crossed his arms at the back of the high leather chair. “Look, pal, I don't work with voices. If we're going to play hardball, I wanna know who I'm dealing with.”

Vedder only nodded. “He's corpulent, ugly, and has terrible table manners, but he does have his uses.” He waved a hand at the chair. “Mr. Fettman, meet my mentor, my boss, and, you might say, my master, Mayor Stephan Palpatine.”

The chair squeaked as it swung slowly around to face the duo behind the desk. “Hello, Mr. Fettman.” He looked like a death's head with thick, slicked-back silver hair grinning over a blood-red tie. “Welcome to our team. I think we may be able to come to a...mutual agreement. You want that Arietta. We want the Jedi Knight.” He steepled his heavily knotted fingers. “I think I have a plan that may benefit all of us.”

Fettson didn't look convinced. Or like much of anything. “What about that Mara Jadeson chick? She keeps buttin' her nose into shit.”

“I can deal with her.” Palpatine's chuckle sounded more like the cackle of a Halloween witch. “She's my ward. She hears what I want her to hear.” A feral grin with the sharpest teeth this side of Bruce the Shark split his face. “Hear me out, gentlemen. The Rebel League will never know what hit them...and the Jedi Knight will be ours.”

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment