Wednesday, March 30, 2016

A Star Wars Fairy Tale: New Hope, Part 11

Vader and Tarkin stood at the balcony overlooking the Kingdom of the Empire. Tarkin had just returned from what remained of Aldran to learn that the Princess had escaped and Sir Benjamin Kenobi, a wanted fugitive from the Empire, had become one with the Force rather than fight his former pupil. He wasn't terribly happy about any of it.

“You know His Imperial Majesty will be angry when he finds out about all of this.” Tarkin glared at the armor-clad lord. “I shudder to think of what he'll do to both of us if this little ruse of yours doesn't work.”

“First of all, Tarkin, I can feel my daughter. Leia's presence in the Force is strong and forceful...and so is the presence of the boy with her.” Vader gazed out into the oncoming blackness of night. “She has a certain tenderness towards him, but it doesn't seem to be that of a lover. It more closely resembles the feelings one might have towards a close family member. This may be useful to us.”

“Are you sure the homing device is secure in their bags?” Tarkin leaned onto the balcony, his narrow eyes gazing towards the trees.

“It's secure, Your Lordship.”

Tarkin gave Vader a hard, skeletal look. “I'm taking an awful risk, Lord Vader. This had better work.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luke was beginning to wonder if they'd ever arrive at the Rebel camp. They'd been riding for nearly a week. While they left the Dagobah Swamp and its evil smells and creatures behind days ago, they still had no idea where Leia was leading them.

“I don't like this,” Han muttered. “Where are we?”

Leia leaned over Luke's shoulder to call to him. “We're in the Enchanted Woods in the Kingdom of Yavin. We should be at the camp any second now.”

Luke looked up quickly. “Leia, I heard something.”

Han held onto Chewie's reins. “It's your imagination, kid.”

That was when a figure dropped from the trees. A tall man with curly black hair and a mustache was accompanied by a slightly smaller fellow with straighter dark hair. Both wore the soft green, orange, and brown of the forest. They also held bows and arrows, both looking hand-carved, straight at them.

Luke recognized them on sight. “Biggs? Wedge?” He climbed off Tauntaun, hurrying to both. “What are you two doing here?”

“Luke?” The man with the mustache grinned and lowered his arrow. “Is it really you? We thought you were killed or captured when they burned Aldran Castle.”

“No, I escaped.” He and Biggs helped Leia off Tauntaun. “Ben Kenobi and Han and I got the horses out, then we went to get Leia.”

Biggs and Wedge both dropped to their knees before the young woman in white. “Your Highness,” Biggs said reverently.

Leia only shook her head. “We have no time for formality, Commander Darklighter. When I'm here, I'm just Leia Organa, Rebel, same as you.” She turned to Luke. “How is it you know these two?”

Luke put an arm around Biggs. “I've known Biggs for years. He was one of the only friends I had in Tattoon.” He patted Wedge's shoulder. “And Wedge and I worked in the same stable together.” He shrugged. “What are you doing here? I thought you went to school in the Kingdom of Coruscant.”

Biggs nodded. “I did, but then I heard about the Rebels. You know how I feel about the things that go on in Tatoon, Luke. I wanted to make a difference.”

Wedge nodded. “I'm from the Kingdom of Corellia originally. My family lost it's horse-breeding business to the Empire's taxes. I want to make sure that doesn't happen to anyone else.”

Dodonna, the stable master from Aldran Castle, followed them. “Your Highness,” he said quickly. “When we heard about the royal family, we feared the worst. Biggs and Wedge and the other stable boys and I did what we could, but the Imperials outnumbered us. We were forced to flee.”

Leia drew in a breath when he mentioned her family. She finally just said “There will be a time for mourning my parents, General. For right now, we have far larger problems to contend with. The Sith Dragons are following us. I sense their black magic. They'll be here within days.” Arthur came over with the now-wrinkled parchment, even as Cecil almost literally fell off Chewbacca's rear. “We need to use the information my servants have kept to find a weakness.”

Han held Chewie's reins. “You know, it's kind of quiet out here. Where's the rest of you?”

Dodonna nodded. “I'll take you to the camp. The others are aiding the refugees who were able to escape the Aldran holocaust.” He nodded at Han. “Can he be trusted?”

Leia sighed and nodded. “Yes, he can. He's one of the men who helped the late Sir Kenobi free me from Bast Castle.”

Dodonna's dignified bearded face fell. “I'm sorry about Sir Kenobi's death. I knew him for many years. He was a good man, and a good fighter.”

Luke nodded, trying not to cry in front of Wedge and Biggs. “I miss him so much. I don't know what I'll do without him.”

Dodonna turned to the young man. “I know how you can honor his memory, lad. Join our troops. You're the best horseman in our stable. I've seen you with the horses. They instinctively trust you. We need a good man like you.” He nodded at Han. “You too, Solowolf. I've heard you're quite the horseman yourself, and a fine archer.”

“I'll do it,” Luke said. “I know I could help.”

Han crossed his arms again. “I'm just here for the reward. I need to pay off King Jabba, before he decides to take the money out of my hide.”

Dodonna just nodded. “Very well. You did return Princess Leia to us.” He turned to Luke. “You also deserve a reward, my boy. You were just as instrumental in her rescue.”

Luke shook his head. “Honoring my father's memory and Ben's is enough reward for me.” Han rolled his eyes. He couldn't understand how that could be reward enough for anyone.

Luke was surprised at just how well-hidden the camp was. Small huts and tents were pitched under trees laden with more shiny green leaves than he'd ever seen in his life. The huts were covered in limbs and leaves, looking more like the trees themselves. There were people bustling here, there, and everywhere. Leia directed him to a hut he'd share with Biggs and Wedge. It was rather like the sleeping quarters for the stable boys at the castle – simple, but not uncomfortable, with thick woolen blankets over hay-filled pallets. He wondered how the Princess would adjust, given she was used to a life of luxury in the Castle.

He only wished Han would remain. He saw the older thief strapping saddlebags laden with credits onto Chewbacca's broad back early the next morning. “So this is it?” Luke asked, petulant. “You got your reward, and you're just leaving?”

Han shrugged. “Yeah. Every hunter in the Seven Kingdoms is probably after me. Besides, I need to dig the Falcon out of the swamp.” He turned to Luke. “Why don't you come with us? You're pretty handy with that sword, and you're good with Chewie. We could use you.”

“Han, I can't.” Luke shook his head. “You know what they're up against. You saw Aldran Town. You saw the dragons. They need a good fighter like you. You're turning your back on them.”

Han's attention suddenly turned to buckling the saddlebag down. “Kid, I need to pay this off. I don't want to be owned by that smelly ogre for longer than I can help it.” He rolled his eyes. “Besides, attacking those dragons ain't my idea of courage. It's more like suicide.”

Luke glared at him. “All right. If that's how you want it. Take care of yourself, Han. I guess that's what you're best at, isn't it?”

The young knight was about to stomp off when he heard Han call his name. “Hey Luke?” He smiled a little bit when the boy faced him...and for once, it was genuine. “May the Force be with you.”

Luke nodded. “You too.”

Han watched Luke leave. His head felt like it was in a jumble. Chewie gave him a whinny, followed by a series of snorts. “What are you talking about?” Han grumbled as he swung onto the worn leather saddle. “I know what I'm doin'.” But even as he rode out of the camp, Han wondered if he really did.

Luke stomped over to where Leia was talking to several former members of the Aldran Court. She looked up when she heard him come near. He thought she was still the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen, even in a much simpler white peasant dress with a loosely-laced pale-green bodice and tan overskirt. She must have borrowed it from one of the women at the camp. It was too big for her. The blouse hung off her in folds, and he could see where the dress had been hitched at the waist with strips of cloth.

“Luke, what is it?” she asked, seeing the disappointed look on his face.

“It's Han,” Luke said sadly. “I tried, but he still wouldn't stay.”

Leia shook her head. “Luke, I was hoping he'd stay, too, but he's his own man. He has to follow his own destiny. No one can choose it for him.”

“I only wish Ben were here.” Luke would have given anything to hear his mentor's wise counsel, or Han's jokes and teasing.

Leia touched his heart. “Luke, Ben is still a part of the Force. Han is too, even if he doesn't believe it. They'll always be with you. Just like my family will always be with me.” He saw a shadow cross Leia's face at the mention of her family, but it passed so quickly he wondered if he'd imagined it.

Biggs came over to his friend. “Luke, we're ready to go.”

“Believe in the Force, Luke.” Leia gave him a kiss on the cheek. “It won't steer you wrong.”

Biggs let out a soft whistle as she went over to talk to Dodonna and some other Rebel officers. “I think she likes you.” The taller man nudged his buddy with a grin.

Luke was only half-listening. “What? Oh, we're just friends.”

“Right.” Biggs put an arm around the youth. “Let's go show those dragons who's boss, huh?”


Luke gave him the closest thing he could manage to Han's lazy smirk. “Of course.”

No comments:

Post a Comment