Tuesday, December 11, 2018

A Star Wars Christmas Carol, Part 3


Anakin had a hard time getting to sleep. His mind was still running at a mile a minute when the clock struck two o'clock. He turned over in bed, looking for a light and listening for chains. At this point, anything between a baby and a rhinoceros wouldn't surprise him much!

So when the bell past and he heard and saw nothing, he was taken with a violent fit of trembling. After a moment, he finally heard a booming laugh coming from the next room. A soft light gleamed under the door. He pulled on his robe and slowly crept to his sitting room.

His sitting room had been transformed into a holiday wonderland. The ceilings were hung with fresh greenery and holly. Heaped on the floor around his chair, forming a kind of throne, was every kind of good thing to eat known to man. He stepped around turkey steaming on it's plate, potatoes piping hot, oranges so full and round, they looked as if they would roll away, blushing red apples and tiny tart grapes.

Seated on the throne was the largest, strongest man Scrooge had ever seen. His white beard and crinkling eyebrows indicated old age, but his laughter was hearty and strong, and his broad shoulders under his green velvet robe would have made him first chosen for any cricket team. In his hands was a torch that looked rather like plenty's horn, and also dripped with greens.

“Come in!” He boomed, beckoning to the wide-eyed businessman in the doorway. “Come in, and know me better, man!”

Scrooge shuddered, despite the crackling fire in the fireplace. “I'm not so sure I wish to.”

The Spirit gave him a quick grin. “I'm surprised you don't know me. I am the Ghost of Christmas Present. Only three thousand of my brothers have come before me, every Christmas night.”

“Three thousand brothers?” Scrooge murmured. “Imagine the grocery bills?”

He leaped from his seat as nimbly as a child. “Have you ever noticed how wonderful everything is at Christmastime? So magical, and full of generosity and happiness?”

“Not especially.” The withered old miser went to the window. “Christmas has not been my favorite season for a long time.”

“Perhaps it's time we changed that.” The Spirit went to the door, rather than the window. “I'm not much for flying. Touch my robe, and we'll travel to the holiday in a far less chaotic manner.”

Scrooge did as he was bade. Suddenly, everything – pies, turkey, throne, room, greenery, fireplace – vanished. In a second, he found himself standing on the street outside his counting house on Christmas morning. Children rushed past him, gleefully throwing snowballs and sliding on patches of ice. Adults hurried by the markets, wondering at the mossy filberts, hot roasted chestnuts, and sweet, tart plums wrapped in tin foil.

Two men, a handsome negro in a fine suit and a shorter man with thick black hair, jostled each other. They were about to fight, but the Ghost sprinkled them with a little water from his torch. Instantly, the duo smiled, and said that it was silly to quarrel on such a splendid Christmas day.

Anakin gazed at the torch curiously. “What kind of water is that?”

“It's my own blend.” The ghost sprinkled it on two customers who fought over a bag of nuts. The moment the water hit them, they decided to split the nuts instead. “It encourages kindness and generosity, to a poor family most of all.”

“Why to a poor family the most?”

The Ghost chuckled. “Because it needs it the most.” He tugged on his arm. “Come along. There's a place I want you to see.”

Scrooge frowned as they reappeared on a dilapidated street in one of the poorest parts of London. The home he saw was clean and well-kept, but obviously old and shabby. “Why did you bring me to this broken-down hovel?”

“I don't think,” the Ghost snorted, “that your employee or your daughter-in-law would appreciate you referring to their home as a hovel.”

Indeed, Mara Scrooge came into the main room, her beautiful face flushed as red as her gingery hair and her emerald eyes gleaming, carrying a steaming goose surrounded by sage and onions. She was followed by a young lass with hair as red and curling as her own and a negro boy, both of them tugging at her dress and begging her to find out when the plum pudding would be ready. An older boy with wavy reddish-gold hair and his father's wide blue eyes kept an eye on the potatoes roasting over the fire.

“Do be careful with the potatoes, Anakin,” Mara scolded the lad. “Try to keep your shirt collar out of the cooking water. That's your father's second-best one.”

“Yes, Mother!” Anakin was a bit taken aback to hear his own name applied to someone else. He rarely paid much attention when Luke mentioned his family, other than his wife. He'd never met their children, or even bothered learning their names.

“Here you go.” Mara handed the two little ones tin cups and slightly cracked china plates. “Arashell and Oniho, you set the table.” She placed the turkey in the center as the children nearly danced around her, placing each cup and plate at their appointed place. “I wish I knew where your father and Temiri had gotten to. And Rey wasn't this late last Christmas Eve by half a hour!”

A pretty young girl, scarcely more than thirteen, dashed past them and into the door. She had three buns on the back of her head, and a sweet face that was liberally sprinkled with freckles. “Mama Mara!” The children crowded around her as she threw her arms around her adopted parent. “Here I am! I'm sorry I couldn't get away faster. Old Unkar Plutt can be a real slave driver, especially around the holidays. I had to clean up the junk shop before I could leave.”

Mara gave her a tremendous hug. “I'm just glad you're here now, my ray of sunshine. I have never once regretted my husband taking you and Oniho off the streets.” She patted the little Negro boy on the head. “You're both as good of children as one could wish.”

Arashell had been looking out the window. “Ooh, here comes Father and Temiri!” She giggled. “Hide, Rey! It'll be a great surprise for them!”

They whisked Rey into a closet, just in time for Luke to arrive with a little black-haired lad on his shoulders. The boy carried a crutch that looked as if his father had carved it from an old broom handle. “Hullo, everyone!” His daughter and wife rushed to him. He gave Mara a kiss on the cheek. “Where's my Rey?”

Mara shrugged. “Oh, she's not coming this year. Too busy, she said.”

“Too busy!” Luke burst out. “Is that old skinflint Plutt keeping her late again? I have half a mind to go and tell him off myself!”

“Oh Papa Luke!” Rey almost leaped from the closet. She hated to see her adopted father so upset. “Here I am! You know I'd never miss Christmas with the family!” She smothered him and her brother with kisses. “And Temiri. How was your stroll in town, little brother?”

“It was so much fun, Rey!” Temiri gave them a wide grin as Rey and Luke settled him on a small stool in a corner. “We went to church, Rey, and we went past the shops. We looked in the windows, and I saw toy soldiers that you could wind up and let march, and a bowl of blackberry dressing that almost gleamed, it looked so juicy!”

Scrooge strained to listen as Mara pulled Luke into a corner. “How was he at church?”

“As good as gold and better, Mara.” Luke watched his youngest child with a sad smile. “He says the strangest things sometimes. He told me he was glad that people saw him, a cripple, at church. They would remember who made lame beggars walk and blind men see.”

“Tell me,” Anakin murmured, “what is wrong with that kind lad?” His eyes never left his youngest grandson. Rey handed him an old toy soldier she'd probably salvaged from the junk shop and repaired herself. He and his siblings gasped with delight as she made it march across the floor.

“Much, I'm afraid.” The Ghost shook his head. “If these shadows remain unaltered, none of my brethren will see him here again.”

“Oh no.” Anakin blinked back tears. “That must not happen. How could we endure it?”

Luke continued, pulling something out of his pocket. “I don't know if I should give this to Father. Temiri wants me to. I supplied the chain, but Temiri made it. He's a rather good whittler. I wish I could afford a good knife for him. Rey's been teaching him and the other children some mechanics, but he's better at carving.”

Anakin's eyes widened as he looked over Mara's shoulder. Her long fingers held a carved pendant on a slightly tarnished metal chain. The twin suns were intricately carved, looking for all like they should have been beaming down on the family. “They're beautiful, Luke. Did Temiri do this all by himself?”

“We split the job.” Luke smiled proudly. “I did one sun, and he did the other. Isn't he clever, the way he can make them look so real?”

Mara wrapped her fingers around them. “I can almost feel their warmth.” Her beaming smile fell. “They're too good for that bastard of a father of yours. He'll never accept this, Luke. You know he won't. He refuses to take an interest his grandchildren, ever since we turned down Sheev Marley's money.”

Scrooge grumbled behind her shoulder. “You always were a stubborn woman. You should have taken it before it was eaten up by taxes.”

Her husband gave her his gentle smile. “I'll never give up on Father, Mara. Uncle Ben has told me what he was like when he was younger. There's still good in him. I can feel it, somehow. I keep hoping he'll come around. That's why I stay with him. Even after everything that's happened, I love him.”

“You're a more generous person than I am, Luke Scrooge.” Mara gave him a kiss. “That's why I love you so! You have the kindest heart of anyone in London Town.”

Scrooge followed them as they joined the children at the table. Young Anakin mashed the potatoes with vigor. Miss Arashell sweetened the applesauce, and had to be kept from taking a taste by her older sister.

The children oohed and ahhed as Luke carved the goose. They carried on as if it were a feathered miracle, and indeed, it rather was in that household. The two little boys were happily steeped in sage and onions to the eyeballs! No one dared say it was a very small goose for a very large family, or that there weren't quite enough potatoes to go around. No one would have dreamed of pointing it out.

As soon as they had nearly finished their meal, Luke lifted his cup in a toast. “I give you a salute to your grandfather, children. To my father, Anakin's namesake, the founder of the feast!”

“The founder of the feast indeed!” Mara snapped. “I wish I had him here right now! I'd give him something to feast upon!”

“But my dear,” Luke said mildly, “think of the children and the day!”

Rey made a face. “I agree, Papa Luke! I've only seen him when I've passed through town, and the little ones have never met him at all. I heard he's a right ogre.”

“Rey, please.” Luke waved his hand. “He's your grandfather, if only adopted. I still say there's good in him.”

“Father's right.” Temiri nodded, lifting his own cup. “I think he just needs someone to love him, like we have. To Grandfather Anakin!”

Luke smiled and gently lay his hand on his son's shoulder. “God bless us!”

The boy smiled back, his smile looking very much like his father's. “God bless us every one!”

As the Ghost sprinkled his water onto the family, they began to fade away. Anakin wished they could stay. They were neither a handsome nor a well-off family, but they were warm and happy with each other and their situation. He particularly kept his eyes on Temiri until the last.

They reappeared back on the street, in front of a small tavern. “I know this place.” Anakin noted the sign on the door. “Cloud City Tavern. I take meals here sometimes. The owner owes me money, that slick con-man of a Negro.”

Said slick con-man walked out the door at that point, dressed in a fine blue suit with a tailored cape. A younger man, bigger and more muscular, trailed after him. “Come on, Finn,” the man said, straightening his tie. “We don't want to be late for the party. Leia told me all the people from her charity will be there, including the ladies.”

“I'm not interested in just any lady, Uncle Lando.” Finn's dusky cheeks were flaming, despite the cold night. “Rose told me she and her sister will be there.”

“Ahh, Rose.” Lando nudged his nephew. “Is that the little round Asian creature you ogle every time she comes in the tavern with her father?”

Finn's cheeks turned even redder. “Uh, well, yes. She's an awful nice girl, Uncle. She knows everything about horses. She and her parents own the livery stable a few blocks down, you know.”

Lando frowned. “Don't know how long any of us will own these buildings. That old tightwad Scrooge has us by the tail. I'm just barely breaking even nowadays.”

“Isn't there anything we can do, Uncle?” Finn frowned deeply. “I like working here. I don't want to go back to working for the First Order Savings and Loan. I felt more like a slave there.”

“We'll think of something. I need to talk to Han.” He took a package under his arm. Finn had several more in his. He grinned as he patted his nephew on the back. “Come on, boy. The party of the year waits for no man.”

Another familiar face stepped out of the book shop next door...and this one made Anakin pause. It was Ben. Oh, he was older, his hair and beard now silvery white rather than chestnut. He still had those snappy blue eyes, though, and that gentle smile.

“Hello there, Mr. Calarissian.” Ben held a pile of books under one arm. “How are you? I haven't see you for a while. Or you, young Mr. Finnegan,” he added to Finn.

“Do you need help?” Lando eyed his wobbly pile. “That's quite a few books you have there.”

“There's no better Christmas gift than a good book, I always say.” He handed a book to Lando, and one to Finn. “Merry Christmas, gentlemen.”

“Thank you, Mr. Willkins.” Lando handed him a small package. “This is from Finn and me, neighbor to neighbor.”

Ben nodded. “That's very kind of you. I'm on my way to a party at the home of my friends Leia and Han Solo.”

“Hey,” Finn exclaimed, “that's where we're going!”

“Would you like to walk with us?” Lando nodded at the street. “It's getting late. We can keep each other company.”

“That's very kind of you.” Ben got on his other side. “I think I'll take you up on that offer.” He frowned as they made their way down the street. “I couldn't help overhearing you gentlemen discuss your rent and Mr. Scrooge. I'm lucky that the Alliance Bank holds the mortgage on my shop, but I know many people in this area aren't so fortunate. The Ticos down the street are desperately worried that they'll lose their stable.”

“That old Vietnmese horse doctor hasn't paid in weeks,” Scrooge muttered behind Ben's back. “He'll be lucky if I don't turn him and those noisy girls of his out on the street!”

Finn frowned. “There has to be some way we can get that guy to lower the rents, or give us more time. Why is he such a miser, anyway?”

Ben sighed. “He was hurt badly when his wife died, and then Marley got to him. Sheev Marley never had an altruistic bone in his body. The way he treats Luke and Leia, I'm not sure if there is a way to change him. He may be too far gone.”

“I hope not, Mr. Willikins.” Finn juggled his packages, nearly losing one. “I like working for my uncle. I don't want to think of what will happen if we shut down. The last thing I want to do is go back to working for Snoke. He was worse than Scrooge! I may be good at numbers, but I don't like people yelling at me over my shoulder.”

“We'll find a way.” Lando said firmly. “Talk to the old geezer, or see if I can borrow money from Han.”

Ben sighed. “I may be able to loan you some money, but I don't think Anakin will listen to you. He won't listen to anybody.”

Anakin felt a lump in his throat as the trio hurried across the street. “Ben,” he grumbled, “you're the one who won't listen. You were there when Padme died. You saw how it happened. If she hadn't had children, we'd still have her!”

“Perhaps.” The Ghost stood behind him, looking every inch the storybook giant in the whirling snow. “But perhaps not. Her heart wasn't strong. She may not have lived, anyway. And your children have grown up to be kind and generous individuals in their own right.”

“Where are they going?” Anakin frowned as they stopped by a decrepit building on a dark side street. “Why would they be coming here? This is just one of the work houses. It's certainly no place for gentlemen like them.”

The Ghost nodded at the scene before them. “Your daughter is here.”

Leia was surrounded by young urchins in ragged clothes. She handed them warm clothes, cloaks and hats and shoes, and boxes with candies and nuts. A handsome young man stood with her, flirting with the girls and making the boys laugh with his ribald jokes. He had curly black hair, snappy brown eyes, and warmly tanned skin. Like his daughter, he was small, but only in stature. His voice boomed through the increasing snows. An older man behind him who handed coats and boxes of tinned delicacies and small hams to adults was very nearly his twin, with the same bright cocoa eyes and wide smile.

“Poe!” Finn ran right to the younger man. “Merry Christmas!”

Poe hurried into his friend's arms. A small orange and white dog followed on his heels. “Finn! Feliz Navidad!”

“I'm so glad I'm able to join all of you.” Finn laughed as the pup nudged his heels. “Don't worry, Bee Bee. I'd never forget you. Merry Christmas to you, little mate!” Bee Bee's bark almost sounded like it was wishing him the best of the season in response.

“Merry Christmas, Leia.” Ben handed her one of the stacks of books. “This is for your charity. I think the gift of reading is the best one anyone can have.”

“Thank you, Ben!' She gave him a kiss on the cheek. “Merry Christmas to you, too! You can hand them out now.”

Lando opened one of his boxes. “We brought leftover food from the Tavern. We were closed today and we'll be opening later tomorrow, so we have plenty to spare.”

“Lando, that's so kind of you.” His daughter was still red-cheeked, but this time, Scrooge suspected it was from sheer happiness rather than the bitter weather. “There's so many people in need at this time of year!” She turned to the older Hispanic man. “Kes, I couldn't do all this without you and Poe. You're both such huge helps, going around for donations and helping me with the boxes.”

The swarthy man gave Leia a kiss on her brow. “I'm honored to help you, Leia. Shara loved working for you, and Poe enjoys it, too. It's a way of keeping her alive in our hearts.”

Three more people joined them, all with empty boxes under their arms. “Caleb!” Scrooge's eyes widened at the tallest. Caleb Dumas, the youngest worker at Yoda's counting house, was a young man now, with long brown hair pulled behind his head and a thin beard, but he'd recognize that boy anywhere. “It's Caleb! He's all grown up now. I lost track of all the apprentices after we bought out Yoda's. I always wondered what happened to him.”

“Kanan.” Leia took the boxes. “How did it go?”

The younger boy with the blue-black hair spoke out of turn. “You were right, Leia. That work house was horrible! So many of the kids were so thin and weak, and I think I saw bruises on a lot of their arms and legs. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about ending up in one of those places anymore.”

“Hera went ahead to the party with Zeb and Charles.” Caleb – Kanan now – put a hand around the two young people. “I'm taking them along. We finished with the boxes.”

Leia nodded. “I think we're done here. Besides, my husband and son are going to start wondering where we are.”

The entire entourage moved on to the modest row house that the Solos owned just a few streets down. The most towering, hairiest man Scrooge had ever seen let the winded charity-givers in. Cedric, as tall and yellow as ever, took their coats. The host greeted his guests the moment they arrived and passionately embraced his beloved wife. Han Solo was a tall man with a small, sassy grin just over a scar on his long chin. His flyway hair and simple blue jacket and vest gave him the look of the dashing pirate he had once been.

“Oh sheep-herder, the house looks lovely.” Leia took his arm, admiring the ropes of holly and ivy in the windows and the small feather tree festooned with candles and cookies. “You and Charles did a wonderful job.”

“Yeah. Charlie and Cedric and me worked all day on it.” Han's little smile fell. “I just wish Ben could have helped. He didn't show up until just about a half-hour ago. Something about staying late at work.”

“On Christmas Eve?” His wife sighed. “I'll see if I can talk to him later tonight, after the party. I wish we saw more of that boy. He spends too much time at work.”

His grandson was skulking in a corner, talking to a slender young man with bright red hair and permanently sour expression. “Mother,” Ben complained, “why are we spending all this money again? We should be saving it for Father's business.”

“Oh Ben, it's only once a year.” Ben turned as red as his friend's locks when his mother kissed his cheek. “We have the money to spare. Besides, it's wonderful to see old friends. We don't always have the chance to get together like this.”

“Come on, kid.” Han threw an arm around his son's broad shoulder. “Let's go greet the rest of the guests.”

Scrooge, much to his surprise, found himself enjoying the high spirits. They danced as Han played the battered piano and Leia sang along. She had a rather good voice, an attractive deep contralto that soared on an old folk song that had been familiar to his dear Padme and her good friend Bail. Finn and Poe swirled around with the Tico sisters, while Hux danced with a young blond woman in a silver gown whose head very nearly grazed the ceiling. Charles' deep growl could be heard over the din as he stomped along. Cedric fussed over spilled wine and tried to keep Bee Bee from snitching sugar cookies under the table.

They played parlor games next. Poe insisted that Finn go first at Blind Man's Bluff. Scrooge suspected that Finn had peeked through the blindfold his excited friend tied around his eyes. He kept chasing after Rose, the pretty little Tico girl in the green dress with the lace tucker. She squealed and giggled, but didn't exactly avoid his advances. Bee Bee danced around everyone or ran under legs, trying to beg for food.

“Why don't you play, Ben?” Poe nudged him. “Come on! Have some fun!”

“I agree.” Scrooge would have been nudging the boy if he could be seen. “You're only young once, lad.”

The Ghost raised an eyebrow. “Weren't you the one telling him earlier to keep his nose to the grindstone and his focus on his work?”

“I...” Scrooge sighed. “I didn't mean all the time! One party when the office is closed anyway won't hurt the boy.”

Hux made a face over his glass of red wine. “Those games are so childish.”

“They're not so bad.” Ben shrugged. “I'm just not the mood for them, I guess.”

“Aw, come on, son! Live a little!” Han put his arms around him. “We're going to do something quieter. It's one of your favorite games, 'Yes and No.'”

Ben gave him a small smile that was almost identical to his father's little smirk. “I like that one. You never know what people will come up with.”

“I have the first one.” Leia lead everyone back to the parlor. Finn threw one arm around Rose, who leaned into him, and the other around Poe. Poe's little orange pup jumped into his lap. “It's too perfect!”

The Ghost's eyes were diverted to the grandfather clock in Leia and Han's hall. “Scrooge, I think it's time we left.”

“No, Spirit!” Scrooge tugged on his sleeve, sounding more like an eager child. “Let's stay just a few minutes more. This looks like it'll be fun!”

Leia walked among the guests, asking them what she was thinking of. It was an animal that lived in the city, a most disagreeable and unwanted creature, but didn't pull a hansom cab or hunt for mice in a cellar. It wasn't a rat, a donkey, a dog, a chicken, or a goose. With every question, Scrooge became more and more excited, darting among the guests and asking questions himself, completely forgetting that no one can see him.

Han finally grinned from his stool in a corner. “I think I know what it is, dear. Who else is an unwanted creature that skulks the city and makes everyone hate him? It's Anakin Scrooge, my beloved father-in-law.”

Most of the guests burst into laughter. Leia threw her arms around her husband. “I could never keep things from you, sheep-herder.”

“I don't think that was very nice, Mother,” her son grumbled. “Grandfather is an important man. He's one of the richest financiers in London. I want to be just like him.”

“I don't know why.” Kanan shuddered as he put his own arm around a beautiful woman with long, thick black braids wound with green ribbons. “I knew him when I was just a lad myself. He was a good man then, but something...changed him. He shut down Yoda's counting house, did anyone every tell you that? Best job I ever had. Wish old Yoda hadn't retired to Dagobah in Scotland. He was one of the good ones.”

“I miss Yoda, too.” Ben sighed. “I know you think that Anakin can do no wrong, Young Benjamin, but mark my words. He'll come to a bad end someday.”

Young Benjamin stuck his proud nose in the air. His friend Hux sniffed. “Men like him don't come to bad ends.

“I tried to get him to come.” Leia snuggled into her husband. “I know you wanted him to come, but he wouldn't listen. He's probably at his counting house, writing another round of evictions.”

Han kissed her forehead. “It's too bad. He's missing a very fine dinner. Charles and Miss Holdo worked hard on it.” He put his arm around her. “Wish I could talk to him. You and I never did anything to him. Young Ben never did anything to him. I actually admire his stance on the rights of natives and Africans in England.”

She snuggled into his arms as Poe took the next round of 'Yes and No.' “Let's not think of that now, Sheep-herder. Let's just be together.” The look on her face was one of contentment. “Merry Christmas, Han.”

Scrooge's heart melted as his son-in-law kissed the top of his daughter's head. “Merry Christmas, sweetheart.”

The Ghost sprinkled them with his water. “My time is growing short, Scrooge.” He tugged on the sleeve of his robe. “We must press on.”

“But...” Scrooge could no sooner stop them from leaving as he could stop time from performing its merry dance. Han, Leia, the food, the holly and ivy, and the guests melted into nothingness.

When he looked around, he found that they were back in his room. Something wasn't quite...right. Everything was dark. Not a light shown in the windows, nor lamp on the street. It was as if the entire world had been engulfed by a smothering, frightening darkness.

The Spirit settled down on the chair. He seemed even older than he had before. There was more gray in his beard and lines on his cheeks, and he moved slowly and with more care. “Spirit, do you grow old?”

“Yes,” he managed to croak. “My time on this Earth is very brief. It'll end on the stroke of three.”

Scrooge grabbed at the Spirit's robe as the clock in his room chimed the hour. “Spirit, please! Don't leave me!” His eyes widened as a tiny claw poked out from under the robe. “Is that...is that a hand you have there?”

The Ghost nodded and flung open his robes, revealing two ragged and shriveled children who were barely skin and bones. “Spirit,” Scrooge gasped, “are they yours?”

“They are man's,” the Spirit boomed. “And they cling to me, appealing to their fathers. The boy is Ignorance. The girl is Want. Beware of both, but especially the boy. He brings doom to all!”

“Have they no refuge,” Scrooge cried, “no place to go for aid?”

Once again, Scrooge was met with his own words. “Are there no prisons?” The Spirit growled. “Are there no work houses?”

Scrooge fell back into his chair, now bare of food and decorations, as the clock struck three. The Ghost and the terrifying children vanished as if they had never been there. Scrooge finally curled up in his chair, dropping off into a dreamless and haunted sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment