Saturday, January 23, 2016

Babes In WENNLand, Part 13

“Look!” Alan pointed to the stage. The trolls were already in town, knocking over booths, tearing down decorations. A circle of them tried to pull down the Christmas tree in the square. They were chasing everyone in town. Jack and Jill tried to perform their show at the Gingerbread Theater over the trolls' heads, but no one was really paying attention to them.

Jill turned to Jack. “I really don't think trolls appreciate Shakespeare much.” When one troll tried to throw a tomato at her, she leaned in and hit him in the snout! “You need to learn a little culture, you hairy beast!” she snapped.

Jack tried to move back as more trolls climbed on the stage. “Um, Jill, I don't think upsetting them is a good idea.”

“I don't think letting them tear us and our theater apart is a good idea.” Jill grabbed a wooden tree shape and started walloping at a troll with it. “Grab some scenery and help me get them offstage!”

Barnaby smirked as he made his way to the center square. “That's right, boys. Take what you want. Destroy the rest. But save our special surprise for Mr. Claus.”

Betty struggled in the trolls' arms. “What surprise?”

“He'll be stepping down as of this Christmas Eve,” Barnaby smirked. “My boys will take care of that.”

“He'll never let you take over!” She tried to kick at him, but he dodged her easily.

“That's what you think, my dear.” He lifted her chin. “You know...do you know who inherits the factory? Whom Jack Hubbard left his share to?”

“No,” Betty grumbled. “No one does. I wish he did. We wouldn't be having half the problems we are now.”

“Why, he left it to you, dear.” Barnaby smirked at the girl's shocked expression. “Why do you think I wanted to marry you?”

Betty shook her head. “Me? Why me?”

“According to the papers my men stole, he thought you were the best for the job.” Barnaby yanked her closer. “And you will be the best for the job. We'll run the factory together. You are a competent worker.”

“That's all you want me for?” She glared at him. “I knew you couldn't love me.”

“Love doesn't matter, dear.” He grabbed her arm. “Now, come along to the priest like a good girl...”

That was when he heard the drums. “What is that?”  

Jill looked up from the stage. The trolls were everywhere, invading every home. Gil was trying to push them out of the musician's shop. Gertie and the children were throwing every pot and pan they owned at them, but they were already carrying several of the children over their shoulders.

Gil laughed, shaking his fist. “Here they come! Would ya look at that?”

Lisa grinned as they marched right through the main square, stopping in front of the stage. The toy soldiers let them off at where the Christmas tree had been. Every single toy soldier went right after the trolls. Lisa and Alan watched in delight as they kicked, threw, and poked the trolls towards the gates.

“Lass n' lad, I can tell you that you're a sight for sore eyes.” Gil hurried over to them.

“Gil!” Maple gave him a fierce hug. “Barnaby's after Santa! We've gotta stop him!”

“That's right!” Alan grinned and took the slingshots out of his pocket. He tossed one to Lisa. “Come on, sis! We've gotta help!”

Scott hurried over. “Where's Betty?”

Jill pointed towards the gate on the edge of town. “Barnaby made off with her. Now, get off my stage. You're blocking the view for Santa.”

More trolls were trailing Barnaby. Mr. Eldridge finally puffed over to them. “You children...need to stay...with me. I'm not as young as you are anymore!”

“Grandpa, they're going to hurt Scott!” Alan tugged on his sleeve.

“Oh, I'm sure he knows what he's doing,” Mr. Eldridge insisted.

“What if he gets hurt?” Lisa frowned. “I wish there was some way we could help!”

“There is.” Mr. Eldridge picked up a pile of candy canes from one of the fallen booths. “You'll have to help me. I can distract Mr. Barnaby, but I need a great deal of magic to do it.”

“Magic?” Lisa frowned. “How's that going to help Scott?”

“You just watch!” The two children saw their grandfather wave his hand. Red and green sparkles gathered around the candy canes...but nothing happened.

Alan was disappointed. “What happened to the magic, Grandpa?”

Mr. Eldridge shook his head. “I don't know. I'll try again.” He waved his hand once more. The candy canes lifted...but that was all. They finally settled down again.

“I knew it!” Lisa kicked at a rock. “There's no magic!”

“That's the problem.” Mr. Eldridge turned to the girl. “It doesn't work when there's one person there who won't believe in it.”

“Lisa!” Alan gave her a very annoyed look. “How could you not believe?”

Lisa was confused. “I don't know what to think. Magic...it's not supposed to be for grown-ups.”

Mr. Eldridge took the girl's hand and knelt down in front of her. “Lisa,” he said gently. “magic is for everyone, old or young. Look at me. I'm much, much older than you are, and I believe in magic. There's nothing wrong with being a child at heart...especially when you really are still one.”

Lisa finally looked in his eyes. “I...I want to believe, Grandpa, but...”

The old man nodded. “But?”

Lisa gulped. “I'm scared. How can I help Mother and take care of things if I'm just a kid?”

Her grandfather squeezed her hand gently. “You're not just a kid. You're a person, and you're still growing and learning. We all are, Lisa. Even adults. You never stop learning and believing as long as you're alive.”

Alan shook his head. “Come on, sis! It's not so bad to be a kid. We get to have fun! We can do a lot of things the grown-ups can't.” He picked up a candy cane. “Like eat these until we get sick.”

Lisa looked at the candy canes. “What are you trying to do, Grandpa?”

“Build a weapon he can use to take out Barnaby, or at least distract him.” He waved his hand...and nothing happened again.

That was when Lisa remembered what she had in her pocket. She pulled out the candy cane Mr. Sherwood gave her back at the station. “Will this help, Grandpa?”

Mr. Eldridge smiled at the little girl. “Thank you, Lisa. I think it will.” He placed the last candy cane on the top of the pile. The two children watched as he waved his hand again. This time, red and green light danced and glittered and glowed. The light seemed to pull the canes together...until they revealed a toy soldier in a red-and-white uniform.

Alan grinned. “He's neat, Grandpa!” He played with his little gun. “What does this...ow!” He jumped away. The gun shot on its own power. Alan rubbed his cheek. “What was that?”

Lisa knew what it was. “Mints! It was mint candy!” She turned to her grandfather. “Hard candies hurt when you throw them at people...”

“Yes,” Mr. Eldridge admitted, “but don't throw them too hard. We just want to get his attention.”


No comments:

Post a Comment