Saturday, January 23, 2016

Babes In WENNLand, Part 7

As soon as Lisa got up the next morning and Grandpa went downstairs, she told Alan what she heard. Or at least, what she could remember of it.

“Do you really think those men are gonna hurt Mr. Piper?” Alan asked as he pulled on a black and green boy's suit with a big, stiff collar and floppy black bow tie that looked like the outfits Grandpa wore when he was young. “Maybe they're gangsters! Or aliens!”

Lisa rolled her eyes. “In Toyland?” She had borrowed a peasant-style dress from Little Red Riding Hood. She wore a white blouse and a flowery red embroidered skirt and a black ribbon bodice. She pulled her hair back with a red ribbon. “They're probably thieves, like what Mr. Piper used to be.”

Alan pulled on his good brown shoes. “What would Mr. Barnaby want with thieves? He has tons of money!”

Lisa pulled on her own black strap shoes over her white stockings. “That's the part I can't figure out. We really need to tell the others. Grandpa and Mr. Piper should know, and Miss Betty. They might have some ideas.”

Scott poked his head in. He held a box in his hands. He now wore a fancier white blouse with a red vest that matched the crimson sash on his waist and black trousers with shiny black boots. Lisa thought he looked something like a pirate from the movies. “Your grandpa sent me up here to tell you kids that breakfast is ready. Come and get it now, or you're going to have an empty stomach for a while. Food goes fast in this shoe!”

Lisa and Alan had just come downstairs and joined the messy, noisy breakfast table when there was a knock on the door. Betty, who was trying to get her wayward shoe back on her foot and get her brother Jack Horner to eat his Christmas pie, managed to get to the door first. Gertie followed her. “Hello?”

It was Maple Bo Peep. She waved a lemon-yellow handkerchief and looked very upset. Gil Tucker was with her. “Have you seen my sheep? They're missing again!” She burst into tears on Gil's shoulder. He patted her back.

Betty sighed. “Maple, your sheep are missing every other day. Have you tried the Green Country Meadow?”

Maple nodded, dabbing at her eyes. “Gil n' I have looked everywhere! They're not in the hillside or on the meadow, or near the river. We've asked everyone in town, and no one has seen them.”

“I'm sure they must be somewhere,” Mr. Eldridge assured her. “They may have wandered further off this time. Or just gotten somewhere they can't get out of. We'll find them.”

Scott nodded. “We'll help you look for them before we go to work.”

Lisa and Alan got up just in time to see Mr. Barnaby, still in black, and three men in police officers' uniforms push their way in. “I'm very sorry, Miss and Widow Blue, but I need to see one of your borders on a police matter.”

Scott joined them. “What seems to be the trouble, officer?”

Mr. Barnaby pointed his cane at Scott. “I want you to arrest Scott Piper on charges of grand sheep larceny.”

Scott raised an eyebrow. “Grand sheep larceny? I gave that up a year ago. I'm in toy manufacture now.”

Mr. Eldridge joined them. “They're not empty! Officers, I will personally vouch for this man. He may have stolen pigs, but he's never stolen sheep, that I know of.”

Scott rolled his eyes. “Thanks, Mr. Eldridge. That was a lot of help.” The two shorter policemen took his arms. “Now look here, fellas,” he said amiably, “why don't we go to the factory and talk this over?”

Betty frowned. “What makes you think Scott stole the sheep?”

The tallest policeman with the largest silver star pulled out a paper. “We received an anonymous tip this morning that Mr. Scott Piper was seen sneaking around the sheep pen late last night.”

Scott frowned. “I was looking for something. What would I do with sheep? I work in a toy factory.”

Mr. Barnaby looked up as two more men shuffled over. One was the tall man in the too-big sailor's outfit Lisa saw the night before. The other was a small, fat fellow in a very tight blue gypsy outfit. The buttons on the shirt were threatening to pop off any second.

“What are you gentlemen – and I use the term loosely – doing in this good home?” Mr. Barnaby demanded. “Unless...you have some revelation you'd like to share with these men?”

“Hi there, boss!” The thin man grabbed Scott's hand. “It was sure great workin' for ya!”

Scott just looked bewildered. “What? Who are you?”

The fat guy slapped Scott so hard on the back, he almost fell over the policemen. “Don't you remember your old buddies, Gonzorgo and Rodrigo? You hired us last night to do the job!”

Betty was glaring at him. Mr. Eldridge just raised his eyebrows. Scott looked worried. “I swear, I've never seen these men in my life!”

“Can you tell us what you were doing around the sheep's pen, then, hmm?” Mr. Barnaby poked him in the chest with the cane.

Scott rubbed where he poked. He glared angrily at the black-dressed man. “I was looking for something for a Christmas present,” he ground out. “I don't have much money. It was supposed to be a surprise.”

“A surprise? Around the sheep's pen?” Mr. Barnaby snorted. “Officers, he's a known thief and liar. He'd do anything to keep his crime from being discovered.”

“But what if he's telling the truth?” Alan asked, looking like he might cry.

Lisa nodded. “Where we come from, you're innocent until proven guilty.”

“Scott's my friend,” Maple added. “He'd never hurt the sheep. He's helped me find them before when I've lost them.”

“I don't know.” Betty was looking at her feet. “He did steal that pig a while ago, and he's never really told us much about what he did before that.”

“I was a sailor!” Scott protested. “That's how I met Victor Be Nimble. I ran into him when he was delivering toys across the sea.”

“We've already sent policemen to search his office at the factory.” Mr. Barnaby smirked. “We'll search his room here, too.”

“Oh no, you don't.” Gertie snapped. “I don't want people invading my family's home!” But another policeman was already making his way upstairs. Gertie went after him.

The police captain took Scott by the arm. “Why don't we take you down to the station, and we can discuss this with Mother Goose herself.”

Scott's eyes widened in horror. “We don't need to involve her in this. Her husband died a year ago. She's still in mourning!”

“She's in charge.” Mr. Barnaby smirked. “She's the one who passes judgment here.”

“Now, wait just a minute!” Mr. Eldridge stepped in front of Scott. “I'm coming, too! I have a say in what goes on here. Scott works in my factory, and I'm this town's biggest employer. Besides,” he gave them a small grin, “you forget, captain, I'm Chief of Police in addition to being Chief Toymaker.”

“We're going, too!” Alan took his grandpa's hand.

Betty shook her head. “Maybe you children should stay here. This is really adult business.”

“But we have something to tell you!” Lisa grabbed Mr. Eldridge's other hand. “Grandpa, I overheard two men talking last night. They sounded a lot like the thin fellow and Mr. Barnaby. They were talking about stealing something and evidence. I think they stole the sheep!”

Mr. Barnaby just laughed. “That's rather amusing, little girl. Why would I steal my own sheep?”

Scott stepped right up to him. “Because you want me out of the way and out of the toy factory. You don't like all those ideas I'm coming up with.” He looked at Betty, who blushed. “Or that I'm courting Miss Blue, and she's a lot more interested in me than you.”

“Is that so?” Mr. Barnaby took Betty's hand. “Are you now, Miss Blue?”

Betty frowned. “Scott wouldn't steal anything!” She looked over at him, her eyes doubtful. “Would you?”

“No!” He took her hand. “Let's go to the police station and settle this matter. I'm sure it's all just a big misunderstanding.”

The moment they made it to the police station, they were met by C.J Grumio. He looked really worried. “Toymaker, sir,” he started, “I don't know how to tell you this, but somehow in the night, half our toy inventory went missing. The shelves are empty.”

“What? Now how did that happen?” Mr. Eldridge scratched his head. “I know a lot of our toys are magic, but I didn't know most of them could walk away!”

Mr. Barnaby rolled his eyes. “You had a thief, Mr. Eldridge.” He glared at Scott. “Did you do this too, Piper? I wouldn't put it past you. You are a well-known criminal and one of those roving gypsy ruffians.”

“I have been saving money,” Scott explained. “Why would I steal our own inventory?”

“To sell it to make more money so you could leave town.” Mr. Barnaby smirked.

“But he wouldn't!” Lisa exclaimed. “He loves Betty!”

Two more of the police men hurried in, carrying some kind of rope in a bag. “We found these in Mr. Piper's office, sir.”

“Lamb sausages!” gasped Mr. Barnaby, a little too dramatically. He held up a collar. “And isn't this familiar?”

Maple took the collar, a forlorn look on her face. “That's Woolie's collar. My poor sheep!” Maple wailed. She started crying on Gil Tucker's shoulder. He patted her back. “Who would be so mean as to make them into breakfast? Especially little Woolie. She's just a baby!”

“You did it, didn't you, Piper?” smirked Barnaby. “The evidence is clear.”

“This isn't real evidence!” Scott exclaimed. “Maple's one of my closest friends. I'd never hurt her sheep. I know how important they are to her!”

“What's going on here?” Lisa looked up as a beautiful older woman with silvery hair followed another policeman into the station. Even though her green and white dress looked like Betty's, she walked like a queen. She held a real goose under her arm and wore a pointed hat, like a princess from a fairy tale. She looked like Mother Goose from the illustrations in the nursery rhyme book she had when she was little, only much prettier.

“Mother Goose, my dear woman.” Mr. Barnaby turned to Scott, who was still flanked by police men. “We have a small problem here, nothing you need to worry your dear head about. You have so many things on your mind, what with Ben's death and all...”

She frowned. Her face seemed to crumble at the mention of Mr. Gander's death. “Yes, yes, I know. I just wish he were here. He was better with handling legal matters than I was.”

“Mother Goose, I swear to you, I'm not a thief!” Scott exclaimed. “Well, I'm not now.”

Lisa tried to get Mother Goose to the sausage. “Mother Goose, ma'am, you really need to see this. I don't think something's right here.”

“Yeah!” added Alan. “Scott's a nice guy. He wouldn't steal!”

Mr. Barnaby blocked her. “Now, why don't you let me deal with this? I know more about these sort of things than you do.”

She frowned. “I don't know. Maybe I should inspect these sausages...”

“Oh no, that won't be necessary.” The police flanked Scott. Mr. Barnaby nodded at him.“The evidence is clear. Mother Goose, I want to put Scott Piper under arrest and have him banished to the Forest of No Return!”

“Oh please, no!” Betty took Mother Goose's arm. “Mother Goose, he wouldn't do anything wrong!” She looked at Scott, doubt in her dark eyes. “Would you? What were you doing at the sheep's pen last night?”

Scott frowned. “I can't tell you. It's supposed to be a surprise.”

“See?” Mr. Barnaby smirked. “He won't admit to his guilt. He was seen at the sheep's pen last night by these gentlemen.” He indicated the two mismatched sailors.

“Sure!” said Rodrigo, the thin sailor. “We worked with him!”

Gorgonzo nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah! We took orders to steal the sheep from him.”

“But I don't know them!” Scott insisted.

Mother Goose rubbed her head. “I don't know what to do. They did find the lamb sausages in your office, Mr. Piper.”

“That doesn't mean anything!” Lisa tried to tug at Mother Goose's skirt. Her grandfather pulled her away. “Mother Goose, you have to listen!”

Mr. Barnaby sniffed. “The evidence was found in his office. He's clearly a devious criminal, Mother Goose, and should be banished to where he can do no harm.”

Mr. Eldridge frowned. “Gloria, don't do this. Don't listen to him. This man is my second-in-command at the factory, and he's a good worker. I wouldn't know what to do without him. Or with him, for that matter.”

Mother Goose finally just shook her head. “Under the circumstances, I...well, there is the evidence.” She finally turned to Barnaby. “You do what you think is right.”

She was drowned out by a sea of protests. “No!” Scott yelled. “I'm innocent! I didn't take the sheep or the toys!”

“You have to reconsider!” Betty added, trying to tug at Mother Goose's arm.

“There's something about the evidence!” Lisa added.

Gil Tucker nodded. “Maybe I shouldn't talk, seeing how I'm just passing through, but something doesn't seem right to me here.”

Mr. Barnaby thrust out his cane in front of the group. “Mother Goose has spoken!” He turned to the policemen. “Take Mr. Piper to the wagon. Drive him as deep into the Forest of No Return as you dare. The trolls and living trees and other monsters will make short work of this criminal!”

“No!” Scott struggled in the strong arms of the cops. “Please don't do this! I'm innocent! I am! I didn't steal anything! Not today, anyway.” The cops finally lead him away.

Betty moved to follow them, but Mr. Barnaby grabbed her arm. “You poor, dear girl.” He clutched his breast. “How terrible! Your heart must be breaking. How could you love such a man? Now me,” he leaned closer to her, “I would be a far more sensible and wealthier suitor for you. I would never steal sheep and turn them into sausages, or take all those toys intended for little children. Besides,” he stroked her arm, “there's the little matter of the mortgage to attend to. How will you pay it now, with so much of your inventory gone and no one to help the Toymaker run the factory?”

Betty yanked her arm away. “I may not be sure about Scott, but I am sure that I don't love you. I could never love you. You only care about money!”

“Money makes the world go around, my sweet little golden chocolate coin.” He tried to kiss her hand, but Mr. Eldridge blocked him.

“I don't think she wants you kissing that,” the old man insisted. “Who knows where your lips have been?”

“I need to get back to Goosedown Farm.” Mother Goose frowned. “Are you sure about this, Barnaby? That young man didn't look like a criminal.”

“Looks can be deceiving.” He smirked at Betty. “Remember, Miss Blue, the mortgage must be paid in full by the end of today...or out you all go!” He finally lead Mother Goose out the door, with the two sailors following like a fat and a thin dog, waddling behind.

Lisa watched as the policemen lead Scott to a huge wagon with bars in the windows and shove him in. “Alan, we have to do something! Scott didn't take the sheep. I know it!” She realized her brother was gone. “Alan?”

“Sis, these sausages are really good!” Alan had one sausage in his mouth and two more in his hand. “You've gotta try them!”

“Alan!” Lisa groaned. “You're not supposed to eat the evidence!”

“Funny thing, though.” Alan bit into another and went on between chews. “They don't really taste like lamb. Remember when the people who live next-door to us whose son owns a sheep ranch gave Mother those lamb chops? They don't taste like them. They taste more like pork sausage.”

“Wait a minute.” Lisa took one of the sausages and bit into it. She actually managed to swallow before she continued. “Alan, you're right. This isn't lamb. It's pork. These are pork sausages.”

Alan shrugged. “I guess they all look the same when you're eating them.”

“Grandpa!” Lisa took the plate of sausages and rushed out to the adults. “Grandpa, try these sausages! They're not lamb, they're pork!”

“Oh, good. I never did get to finish my breakfast.” Mr. Eldridge bit into one...and frowned. “Oh dear. I think you children are right. These don't taste like lamb to me.”

Everyone took a sausage. Maple looked relieved. “Thank goodness! They didn't grind up my poor babies after all!”

Lisa remembered the night before. “Those two sailors planted the evidence in Mr. Piper's office last night. I heard them talking. They're really thieves!”

Alan grinned. “I'll bet they're trying to frame Scott, just the Professor did to Sam Dane in 'Sam Dane, Private Eye.'”

“They said they'd stash them in a place no one would find them,” Lisa continued. “Where is the least-likely place in Toyland you'd find the sheep?”

C.J gulped. “I think I know. The Forest of No Return. It's the best place in Toyland to really lose something.”


Mr. Eldridge frowned. “Oh dear. I think we made a terrible mistake. We have to find Scott and unbanish him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment