Monday, August 31, 2015

The Little Mer-Betty, Part 8 and Epilogue

Meanwhile, the trio on the surface had managed to row themselves out of the rapidly disappearing whirlpool. “That disappeared awfully fast,” Maple commented as they made their way to shore.

“More of Ruth's magic, probably,” Betty grumbled. She looked over her head. “The clouds are breaking apart. The storm seems to be moving further inland.”

The storm was winding down, even as they found their way to land. Betty helped Scott and Maple drag the boat onto the beach near the cove. Eugenia and Mr. Foley ran right over to them the moment they appeared.

“Thank goodness you're all right!” Foley was eating a plate filled to the brim with steamed clams. “They moved the rest of the party into the main boathouse when the storm came in. What were all of you doing out there in that weather, anyway?”

“It's a long story.” Betty looked up as she heard singing – four male voices in perfect harmony, and one small, sweet female voice. She took Scott's hand and smiled at him. “Let's go meet my family. I think they have something for you.”

They hurried towards the sheltered cove. Betty's family was gathered near the edge of the beach. Hilary held out a familiar green bottle. “We found something that belongs to your friend there, Betty.” She made a face. “Ruth was nasty and wouldn't give it back. We...dealt with her. She won't bother us anymore.”

“Thank you, Hilary.” Betty turned to Scott, even as her other human friends stared at the merfolk in shock. “Scott, open your mouth.” Betty grinned. “More than usual. I need to give you your voice back.”

Scott raised an eyebrow but did as he was told. Betty uncapped the bottle. The green light flowed from the lip and into Scott's throat. He rubbed his neck, coughing. Betty thumped his back. “Oww. That hurts!” He finally put his arms around Betty. “Thanks for savin' me, Betty Betty Betty. Not only are you one heck of a brave girl,” he nodded at the half-fish, half-human creatures behind him, “but you come from an amazing family.”

“Scott, it was me,” Betty said quickly. “I rescued you when your ship sank a few weeks ago. I wanted to tell you a hundred times, but I gave Hilary my hair and voice in order to get legs.”

“I shouldn't have done it to her.” Hilary shook her head. “I've learned my lesson. From now on, my magic will be strictly for impressing a crowd at a theater, not causing harm.”

Mackie swam as close to Scott as he could. “I'm her father, son.” He shook Scott's hand. “She's my oldest girl, and I love her. You take care of her now.”

“I will.” He took Betty into his arms. “I meant what I said earlier, Betty. I want to court you. I don't care if you're a fish or a human or anything in between. I love you. I want to show you the world.”

“Oh Scott...” Everyone sighed as they kissed. Jeff tapped Hilary on the shoulder and gave her a deep kiss as well. Enid giggled as her brothers kissed her cheeks. Gertrude just hugged Mackie, smiling with pride. Maple put her arms around Eugenia and Mr. Foley, but her eye was on Doug. She didn't think he was bad-looking, for a half-fish guy.

“Well, Hilary?” Betty smiled at her. “Do I have a soul now?”

“Yes and no.” She shook her head. “You were only able to kiss Scott for a few seconds during twilight, but what you two just did now redressed the balance somewhat.” Her concerned look became a grin. “It was enough to make you half-human. When you're on land, you're human. When you're in water, you'll have your tail and be able to visit us.”

“Really?” Betty gave Hilary a huge hug. “Thank you, Hilary!”

“You're welcome, dear.” She gave her a small smirk and put an arm around Jeff. “You helped get rid of a particuarly pesky rival of mine. I owe you one.”

Betty hugged her father and grandmother. “I'll miss you, darling.” Gertrude smiled, nodding at the four who stood behind her. “But I think you're in good hands up here.”

Scott put an arm around Betty. “We need to get you back to the house. If you keep walking around in your underwear, you may end up joining the witch in jail.” He laughed and swept her into his arms. “Let's go get wet, my little mermaid.” Everyone sighed as they kissed again, the moonlight illuminating the five as they made their way down the beach to the boathouse.

Epilogue

“Betty?” She looked up as Hilary walked into the writer's room. “Is my script for 'The Land of Make Believe' ready?”

Betty sighed and handed her the requested papers. “Just finished it.”

“Betty...” Hilary sighed, “I really am sorry about the last few days. I got so caught up with the attention I was getting for singing with your voice...I forgot who was doing the singing. It wasn't fair to either of us, or even Ruth, really.”

“No, it wasn't.” Betty frowned. “Just remember that the next time you want something from me and I don't really want to do it.”

“I'm going out to dinner with Jeff. Do you want anything?”

“No. I'll just order something from the Buttery.”

“All right.” Hilary gave her a small smirk. “Oh, by the way, when you go home, you'll have to take the stairs. The elevator is out of order.”

Betty was surprised. “That's odd. It was working fine earlier. I wonder what happened?”

Hilary just gave her the most innocent look she could muster and walked off to find Jeff, whistling “I've Gotta Sing.”

Scott poked his head in as soon as Hilary left. “Hi there, Betty. Big night, huh?”

“No.” Betty glared at him. “Why did you make me do that? And don't give me your marlarkey about Snow White's agent. She's a character in an animated film. It goes without saying that she's dubbed.”

“I heard what Hilary said.” He frowned. “I guess I got caught up, too. The sponsors were so happy, and it's rare that we can keep the sponsors and Hilary happy at the same time.” He looked at his feet. “I guess I got so involved with the sponsors, I forgot you were behind that screen.”

Betty sighed. “As long as we didn't lose the sponsor.”

The dark-haired station manager shook his touseled head. “Far from it. Monogram Records was really impressed with not only your singing, Betty, but everyone's performance tonight. They still want to release that single, and they still want to do 'A Night On the Town.' Only it'll be you, Hilary, Mackie, and Maple singing Monogram hits, and I swear, you'll all get credit for it.”

Betty joined him at the door. “Normally, I don't care abou the credit. I just want to help keep the station going. There's times, though, when you act like my idea is your idea. I just want you to appreciate what I do here.”

“I do appreciate it, Betty.” Scott smiled at her. “I could never run the station without you. I'd be lost in a day. Don't forget, I'm still new to all this.” He offered her his arm. “There's a new all-night place that just opened down the street, the Legacy Diner. I heard their brisket sandwich is amazing. Want to go out for a bite?”

Betty shrugged. “Why not?” She raised an eyebrow. “Oh, and we're going to have to take the stairs. Hilary said the elevator's stuck.”

“I wonder how that happened?” Scott frowned. “You know, Ruth was on the elevator. I wonder if she...”

Betty groaned. “I think I know what happened. Hilary got her revenge.” She chuckled at his puzzled expression. “Let's just go get that brisket sandwich, before Hilary comes back and decides to extract more vengance.” They strolled down to the door as Mr. Eldridge rushed past, fussing about missing elevator keys and Ruth Geddy being stuck...


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment