Saturday, August 8, 2015

Introduction - WENN Fairy Tale Series and Scott White and the Seven Actors

I love fairy tales. I've done at least two series of fairy-tale spoofs and re-writes for the sitcom Perfect Strangers and the 40's and 50's movie series The Bowery Boys. (My friend Lauren Miller helped me with the latter.) Although there was one spoof of Snow White done in the late 90's by Diane Valancy, and I wrote a take on several fairy tales set around "And If I Die Before I Sleep" during the summer of 1998, that was as far as most WENN fanfiction went into fantasy.

I thought...what if I not only used the familiar fairy-tale stories, but gave them different settings, like I did with the spoofs? Snow White in the Wild West, with a male Snow White? The Little Mermaid in early 1900's New England? Beauty and the Beast in Depression-era New York - with two sets of beauties and beasts? Little Red Riding Hood delivers bathtub gin to Granny in a 20's speakeasy? (I do intend to keep "King Arthur" and "Aladdin" in their original medieval and Arabian Knights settings at the moment - I can't see them anywhere else.)

Each main WENN character will have a story that revolves around them. (Comic relief couples Eugenia and Mr. Foley and Gertie and Mr. Eldridge will share their stories.) We kick off the series with one of my favorite characters on the show - the roguish con-man-turned-actor/station manager Scott Sherwood.

This is set right after the third season episode "And How." To tell the truth, I've never been a big fan of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." Neither is Scott Sherwood. As he listens to a family show on WENN that recreates favorite fairy tales, he ruminates on his own problems. He wants to show Betty he really does care and get back at Pruitt for throwing him out. The current show and the earlier "Strange Loner" broadcast intrude, giving Scott a very interesting western-themed daydream...

No comments:

Post a Comment