Thursday, November 1, 2018

North Star - Original Short Story

Yet another reply to a Helium prompt. I never was much good at climbing trees, or telling where you are by the stars, either. I guess this is a bit of wish fufillment. I was never as brave or strong as Lucy is in this story! 

North Star
By Emma Redmer

“We’ve been following this trail forever, Lucy. How much longer do you plan on going?”

I looked at my compass. “From what this says, due north should be...” I pointed to my right “...that way.”

My best friend Brianna made a face. “Didn’t we just come that way?”

“No, we came from the south side, near Carlson’s Ridge.”

“We’re going to die,” Brianna groaned. “They’re going to dig up our bones like dinosaurs a thousand years from now.”

“Stop that. I just need to find the North Star.” I headed to the highest tree I could find and started climbing.

Brianna made a face. “You’re gonna fall out.”

I looked down at her. “No, I’m not. I’ve been climbing trees since I could reach the branches. I know what I’m doing.”

I finally pushed aside two leafy branches and looked around. The stars were out tonight, glowing in force like a thousand tiny light bulbs. I was looking for one in particular...and I finally saw it, right in front of my face. There it was. It seemed so close, I would have reached out to try to touch it if I didn’t need to hang onto the branch.

I almost forgot Brianna was still on the ground. “Well?” an annoyed voice called from bellow.

I scrambled down the tree so fast, I almost fell out. “I knew you would,” Brianna grumbled.

“Bri, calm down.” I dusted off my shorts. “I found the North Star. I know where we’re going.”

Brianna raised her eyebrows. “You did? Really?”

“Yeah. We kept getting turned around. I’ll get us out of here.”

She grinned and took my arm. “Lead the way, oh mighty navigator.”

No comments:

Post a Comment