Monday, January 22, 2018

BB In Toyland, Part 5

We separated when we got outside. Some of the gypsies went with Kaydel and Snap to get the sheep from the courtyard. They'd take the sheep into Toyland Town and warn the townspeople. The rest drove us to the Toy Factory. Thankfully, the road going over the mountain was mostly lined with meadows of lollipop flowers and neat little gingerbread houses. It wasn't anywhere near as scary as the road that lead to Crooked Castle!

The sun was setting when we finally got the carts to the back of the Toy Factory. Finn leaped off the first cart. “How are we going to get inside without being seen?”

Someone will have to go inside and open the back door.” Han Shaftoe lifted me off the front of Maz's cart. Chewie jumped down after me. “It's locked from the outside.”

I could do it.” I tugged on Mr. Han's sleeve. “Please, let me do it! I'm little. I can fit through those windows up there.” I pointed upwards towards the small windows on top of the factory.

Poe frowned. “I don't think that's a good idea. She shouldn't be in there alone.”

I'll do it.” Rose joined me. Chewie barked and tugged at her blouse. “Ok, boy, we'll do it. We'll help her. I'm not as small as she is, but I am shorter than the rest of you.”

Mr. Han lifted me up as easily as I lift my She-Ra dolls. “Let me give you girls a hand.” He pushed his sword under the window and wedged it open. I crawled in, making sure not to rip my white tights. Chewie just barely squeezed in. It took Rose a few minutes to come after me. She's short, but she's bigger around than I am.

I dropped onto a big bag of stuffed teddies on the floor. Chewie landed next to me with a big belly flop! He let out a howl. “Chewie, shh!” I waved my hand at him. “There's someone here!”

Who's there?” It was Sir Kylo Ren and his knights. “I know I heard voices.” He waved his red crystal sword. “Search this room! Find the intruders!”

Uh oh.” I looked up as Rose landed next to me. “What are we going to do?”

This.” Rose ran to the sheets behind me. “Help me get these off.”

The toy soldiers!” I grinned. “We'll wind them up and let them take out the bad guys, like they did this afternoon!”

And we have to hurry.” She tore the sheet off one and started winding it as fast as she could. “I'll get them wound. You open the door. The key is hanging on the wall by the door.”

Ok!” I found the key hanging on an old nail. It was a big, shiny brass key, like they use to open doors in some of the older houses in Philly. I pushed the key in the big old iron lock, but it was so old, it wouldn't budge at first. I had to keep tugging at it and tugging at it. The key clicked...just as I felt familiar raspy breathing on my shoulder. “Uh oh.” I turned around and saw Sir Kylo Ren, wearing his mask again. “You don't have to breathe on me, you know! I know it's you. Why do you wear that mask, anyway? You're not ugly, and I don't think there's anything wrong with your throat.”

I don't want anyone to know who I am, little girl.” He reached for me. “Be a good little girl and come with Uncle Kylo.”

You're not my uncle.” I made a face. “Why do you hate everyone? Just because your uncle was scared of you? Because your mom and dad weren't there? My mom and dad spend a lot of time downstairs in our store. Sometimes, my grandparents or brother come to see my school shows or dance recitals, because Mama and Papa are busy in the store. I get sad sometimes, too...but most of the time, I understand. Just because they're not with me all the time doesn't mean they don't love me.”

You're just a child. What do you know?” Sir Kylo Ren glared at me. “You know nothing about me!” He yanked my arm hard. “My master wants me to bring you to him. He wants to know more about the land you came from.”

No!” I kicked at him hard. “Let me go!”

Just as he was dragging me towards the front door, something bright and colorful landed right on his head, showering bright red and yellow paint all over his helmet and black leather outfit. “Who did that? Who shot those?” I ducked away, glad that I didn't get paint on my good Christmas dress. I did feel sorry for him about his outfit, though. Mama says leather is really hard to get clean.

All right!” Rosie cheered behind a line of toy soldiers. Finn and Poe were bringing her buckets of paint to launch on a big catapult. Toy soldiers stiffly charged into black knights. Maz shot a net holding tons of Nerf balls and footballs and basketballs. The balls dropped onto the knights, making them roll and trip.

I threw all the balls at as many knights as I could. The gypsies shot shelves, letting teddy bears fall on the knights and knock them over. Chewie ran between the knights' legs and tugged at their tunics until they fell on top of each other.

Father.” Sir Kylo Ren glared at Mr. Han when he came face-to-face with him. “I'd ask you how you escaped, but knowing you, that story would take the better part of a day and probably wouldn't be true anyway.”

Mr. Han gave him that lazy grin again. “You know me too well, kid. Now, why don't we just go home and discuss this with your mother over a cup of hot buttered rum?”

No, Father, this ends here.” I jumped back and screamed as trolls clomped into the room. They made almost more noise than the knights did in their squeaky armor! Two of the trolls grabbed Mr. Han's arms. “You're coming with us. I'd like my father to give me away at my wedding.”

No!” Poe jabbed a wooden sword at one of the trolls. “I'm not going to let you marry Rey. She doesn't love you! I love her, with all my heart!”

Maybe I love her, too, with all my heart.” At that moment, Sir Kylo Ren's eyes got a little dreamy. “Maybe I think she's beautiful and strong, too. Maybe I was hoping that she'd know how it felt to be someone that no one loved.”

Maybe she doesn't love you!” I yelled at him before he could get all mushy. “You're not only person in the world, you know. Did you think of asking her if she liked you?”

Sir Kylo Ren leaned over me. “How would you like to be the flower girl at my wedding? You could wear a fancy dress and throw roses at my feet.”

No way!” I jumped back. “I'm not scared of you! You're just a mean bully. You don't care about anyone but yourself!” I borrowed Chewie's idea and ducked under his legs.

Go get help!” Poe called after me. “Go find the Toymaker!”

I just ran, before Kylo Ren could get his hands on me. I ran as fast as I could upstairs, past the main factory floor. I could see soldiers and animals and people trying to fight trolls, but the trolls were big and tough. They broke the machines and threw boxes of toys at people. I just barely missed being hit by a box of Play Dough as I rushed up the staircase to Mr. Toymaker's office.

Mr. Toymaker!” Thank goodness his office was open! He sat behind his desk when I rushed in, calmly painting a porcelain doll in a lacy white dress. “Mr. Toymaker, how can you just sit there? The whole factory is under attack by trolls! Where's Mother Goose? Shouldn't you be turning them into stuffed cats or something?”

He added more red paint to the doll's smile. I wondered if he even heard me. It felt like years before he finally looked in my eyes. “I'm not fighting, little one.”

Why?” I knew I was whining, but I couldn't help it. “Why won't you help us?”

He looked down at me. His big blue eyes were so very sad. “Because it's not worth it. Nothing I can do will help anything. I did fight, many years ago. I fought my nephew Ben. I almost killed him, but I didn't. I fired him from the factory. I'm the reason he's doing this. If I stay here, he won't do worse things.”

Yes, he will!” Tears ran down my cheeks. “I...I thought...you were a nice grown-up. I thought you liked kids, and toys, and everyone. You...you're just a big dummy! All you want to do is hide. People need help! Like She-Ra helps the Great Rebellion, or Luke and Leia got Han Solo to help the Rebels.” My words were coming out faster now and all jumbled. I was crying so hard, I couldn't see Mr. Toymaker anymore. “What about Santa, and the toys, and the other kids like me? What about Mother Goose and Rey and my bro...Poe and Mr. Han?”

Mr. Toymaker frowned at the mention of Han. “I'm sorry, little one, but Han Shaftoe is dead.”

No, he isn't! Snoke captured him and locked him up.” He just sat there, staring at me with his sad blue eyes. “Please, you have to do something! We're gonna get killed!” He didn't move. “Oh, forget it! You don't care! You don't care that Mother Goose is going to have to marry some mean old man or the Factory is going to be torn down. All you care about is being sad!”

They want the great and powerful Toymaker, little one.” Mr. Toymaker sat back down. “They don't want me.”

I looked at him through my tears. “Maybe that's what they need right now. And if you can't do that...I guess you're not a nice man after all.”

He had just started to get up again when I hurried out the door. I was tired of all these grown-ups who thought they had to be mean and sad because they'd done something wrong. I do something wrong all the time, and sometimes, I'll even cry about it. But I always try again. That's what you're supposed to do.

I had just ran downstairs and was about to go look for Poe when two arms wrapped around my waist. “What are you doing here, little girl?” Sir Kylo Ren stared me right in the face. Trolls held Han Shaftoe and Poe the Piper's Son behind him. “Tattling to my uncle? Naughty naughty. Just for that, I may not make you flower girl in my wedding.”

I don't want to be flower girl!” I kicked and wiggled in his big hands. “I don't want you to marry Rey or that ugly old Snoke to marry Mother Goose! They already have people who love them!”

Let her go, Ren!” Poe tried to get out of the troll's beefy arms. “She's a little girl! She can't hurt you. It's us you want!”

On the contrary. She may be useful.” He tucked me under his arm like I was a teddy bear, then turned to his guards. “The girl is coming with me. It's time to go to my wedding at Toyland Square.” He gave his father that nasty little smirk. “Maybe dear old Dad would even give away the brides.”

Ben, you're not going to get away with this.” Han winced as the troll yanked his arms behind his back. “You don't have the gypsies, or the other townspeople. They'll stop you.”

The townspeople are afraid of losing their jobs and homes. They'll do what they're told to do.” Sir Kylo Ren narrowed his eyes. “You'll be held as examples. All of you. You friends, too, when we find them.”

Oh no!” I couldn't help groaning when I saw the square. All the trolls had rounded up everyone in Toyland Town in one circle by the big tree. The trolls held clubs over them, and they all looked really scared. I tried to look for Rose, Finn, and the gypsies, but it was hard to see much under Kylo Ren's arm.

He finally put me down between Hux and Phasma. Simple Simon was there, too, watching over tables and tables of pies. “I want you to keep an eye on this little brat. Make sure she doesn't run away this time.”

Rey and Leia both stood by the front of the tree, near a stage made from gingerbread. Snoke was there too, in his usual ugly black suit. Rey looked like a bride from a fairy tale in her lacy dress with its big, puffy sleeves and floaty skirt and glittery tiara and veil...but her face was red and really angry. Two trolls had to hold onto her. Leia didn't run, but she kept giving those icy looks to Kylo Ren. Her dress was silky lavender with a long train and one of those hats with the big brims. It wasn't as fancy as Rey's, but it was just as pretty.

Lemme go!” I tried to kick Phasma, but she wrapped her long arms around my waist instead, holding my arms to my sides. “You're so mean!”

I'll be meaner if you don't stop fighting.” She nodded at the trolls. One dragged Chewie on a leash. “You don't want us to hurt your friend. We can do terrible things to those who disobey us.”

Leave Chewie alone!” I tried to pound on her, but she held my arms. “He's just a dog! He only wants to help!”

Han?” Mother Leia's eyes widened. “You're alive!” She started to him, but Barnaby grabbed her arm.

Leia!” Mr. Han gave her a sheepish grin. “I just couldn't stay away.”

Mother Leia's face lit up in a beautiful smile. “I missed you, sheep herder.”

That's why I left.” Mr. Han chuckled. “So you'd miss me.”

Poe?” Rey tried to get to him, but the trolls yanked her back. “What happened? How did you get here? They told me they'd killed you back at Crooked Castle!”

It's a long story.” Poe looked really worried. “Are you all right? If they've hurt you in any way...”

I'm fine.” Rey lifted her chin proudly. “I can take care of myself.”

Barnaby nodded. Two of Sir Kylo Ren's black knights held red swords to Mr. Han and Poe's necks. “If you two go through with the wedding, we may consider sparing the lives of your lovers. After all, Mr. Shaftoe here still hasn't told me where his deed to the Factory is, or yours or the Toymaker's, for that matter.”

Mr. Han's eyes went to Leia's. “Sweetheart, don't tell him!”

The factory belongs to you three.” Poe tried to pull away. “Kylo Ren isn't worthy of your legacy!”

Sir Ren snorted. “And you are? You, who steals helpless sheep from my employer?”

I never stole those sheep!” Poe tried to jump at him, but he couldn't get past the Black Knights. “That's a lie, and you know it. Barnaby stole those sheep!”

Han, I'll never tell him anything.” Mother Goose turned to Barnaby...and even though he was taller than her, she seemed to stand above him. “I won't let you do this. The Factory has been in my family for thirty years. We will never give it over to you, no matter what you do to us!”

And who's going to stop me?” That mean old Barnaby yanked Mother Goose's chin up to him and held her arm harder. “Kiss me, my bride! Kiss me, and we will join our business interests and our lives, partners as one!”

Suddenly, a long shadow fell over the wedding party. “Let my sister go, Barnaby!”

Uncle.” Kylo Ren stepped up to the Toymaker. He held a long metal sword with a bright blue handle. Rey stumbled backwards on the stage, into two really short trolls who looked sorta familiar. “Come to see my wedding? I could make you Best Man.”

Too bad you never were.” The Toymaker held the sword at him. “Let the others go, Ben, including your parents. It's me you want, not them. I know where the deeds to the Factory are.”

Kid, what are you doing?” Mr. Han gulped and looked over the sword on his neck. “You don't know where my deed is!”

Mr. Toymaker (who really wasn't a kid) ignored him. “Attack me, Ben. Come after me with everything you have. You won't get those deed otherwise.”

No!” I squirmed in Phasma's tight grip. “Mr. Toymaker, no! What about Christmas? What about Santa?”

Mr. Toymaker gave me a little smile over his shoulder. “It'll be all right, little one.”

Luke!” Leia stamped on Barnaby's toes, then darted over to him. “Luke, what are you doing?”

What I should have done years ago, sister.” He hugged Leia, then gave her a long, thin box. “Just remember, no one is truly alone.”

Leia frowned. “But why...how...”

Mother, get out of the way!” Kylo Ren was just getting madder and madder. “This is between Uncle and me!”

Everyone was watching Mr. Toymaker and Sir Kylo like it was the Super Bowl or something. I finally turned my head from them to some rustling in the bushes behind us. Two trolls sneaked behind Hux and Phasma and grabbed them, throwing fur rugs over their heads.
Finn Be Nimble!” I squeaked. “Rosie Grumio! How did you get away from the trolls?”

Once Kylo Ren left, it was easy.” Rose and two gypsies tied up Hux and Phasma with wide red Christmas ribbon. “The trolls are big, but they're really dumb. Finn and I kept shooting them until we got them in a certain spot, then the gypsies and other factory workers dropped a net we usually use to hold stuffed animals on them. Maz and the other gypsies are loading them into carts now to be taken back to the Forest of No Return.”

You may have gotten our trolls,” Hux snapped, “but you won't get Sir Kylo Ren. He's out there now, getting rid of your boss the Toymaker.”

Mr. Toymaker!” Finn Be Nimble almost leaped towards him. “I have to help him!”

No!” I shook my head. “He wants to do this himself. Something really bad happened between him and Sir Kylo. He wants to be the one to stop him.”

Rosie nodded and took Finn's hand. Finn gave her a dreamy smile. “I think the best thing we can do,” Rose told him, “is free the others, before someone realizes that Hux and Phasma are on the ground.”

Good idea!” I grabbed Rosie's hand. “Let's go get 'em!”

We're not the only ones who had that idea. Kylo Ren and Mr. Toymaker were fighting each other all around the square. Most everyone was watching them and cheering them on, including the men who held Mr. Han and Poe. The moment the men started yelling, Mr. Han and Poe turned around and hit them hard on the chin!

Poe!” I ran right to him. “You're ok!”

Of course, I am!” He grinned as I leaped into his arms for a hug. “I'm just glad you're not hurt. Did Kylo Ren do anything to you?”

I gave him a grin of my own. “Nope! Hux n' Phasma didn't, either. I'm too smart for them!”

Come on.” Mr. Han fixed his hat. “The kid...er, the Toymaker ain't gonna hold out much longer. We gotta find the others.”

First,” Finn Be Nimble said as he and Rosie followed me, “we've got to find Rey. Snoke still has her and Mother Goose.”

Uh, no.” I pointed back at the stage. Rey took a sword from one of the knights watching Sir Kylo and Mr. Toymaker fight. She managed to knock them all over with one thrust! “She's ok! And she can fight better n' She-Ra!”

Finn and Poe and Rosie all cheered. Poe let out a laugh. “That's my girl!”

Just as Rey pulled away, the toy soldiers burst from the Factory and out onto the streets! They shot marbles at knights or whacked them with their tin swords. The knights would whack off their tin heads or limbs, and they'd still keep coming.

Rey!” Poe ran over to her. “You're amazing!”

She smiled at him. “Thank you. Duck!” Poe did...just as Rey leaned over and stabbed a troll with her sword. He fell back, nearly knocking over a toy soldier.

Poe had a funny, goofy grin on his face. “You're amazing. I've never seen anyone who can fight like you.”

You should see me pruning my cockleshells.” She took his hand. “Come on. We need to get Mother Goose away from Snoke, before he can get her to the alter.”

Mr. Han narrowed his eyes. “I won't let him.”

I wandered away from the grown-ups. I was worried about Mr. Toymaker. He had a lot of experience, but Sir Kylo was younger and faster than him, and really angry. When I pushed through the crowd to watch them. Mr. Toymaker wasn't fighting. He was just sort of...standing there. Just looking at Sir Kylo Ren with his big blue eyes.

Sir Kylo Ren was red-faced and wild-looking. His long black hair was matted down on his head, and his teeth were gnashing. “Uncle, why don't you do something? Like you did years ago when you tried to attack me! You fired me! I admired you, you were my idol, and you fire me! Told me you were frightened of me! Of all the evil I could do! You can't save me now!”

I was wrong, Ben Boy Blue.” Mr. Toymaker just stood back. “But so were you. You shouldn't have tried to burn the Factory down. I can't save you, Ben. Neither can your parents, Rey Quite Contrary, or anyone else. There's only one person in Toyland who can really save you.”

I don't get it!” Sir Kylo tried and tried to stab him with his sword. “I should be killing you! I have the power! You're just an old man.”

Am I?” Mr. Toymaker just brushed a little dust from the Square off his shoulder, then stared Sir Kylo – or Ben Boy Blue – right in the eyes. “Or am I what you think I am?”

That's enough! I'm tired of this!” Ben raised his sword. “You've built your last soldier, Toymaker!”

I screamed when Ben ran his sword through Mr. Toymaker. Even Skeletor never managed to get his sword into He-Man! But even before he could get the sword in...there was no one there. Mr. Toymaker's tool belt, sword, and clothes fell to the ground, empty.

NO!” I shrieked, at the same time as Mother Leia, Mr. Han, and Rey. Mr. Han ran over to the pile of clothes. Mother Goose tried to, but Barnaby held her arm.

I started to go after them, but Poe gently pulled me into his arms. “Stay here, BB.” He frowned. “I don't know what just happened, but I can't imagine it's good.”

Mr. Han glared at his son as Sir Kylo poked his toes into the Toymaker's clothes. “What are you doing? He's gone, Ben. Gone because of you!”

Sir Kylo held his sword at Mr. Han. “And you'll be joining him next, Father. You, then Poe the Piper's Son and all those other idiots at the Toy Factory.

Barnaby tried to get the box out of Leia's hands, but she held on as tightly as she could. “If I can't have you, woman,” he hissed, grabbing her arm hard, “no one will!”

And that was when I heard the sound of bells. Tinkling bells, like the old metal bells my mom hangs on our Christmas tree. We all looked up in the sky...and saw eight tiny reindeer pulling a big red sleigh with a huge sack in the back. “It's him!” I grabbed at Poe's hand. “It's him! It's really, really him! It's Santa Claus!”

I knew the moment the sleigh landed that it was him. Even though his beard was gray instead of white, and he wasn't as big as he was in the movies. He still had twinkly blue eyes and cheeks like roses and wore a velvety red suit with white fur trim. His little mouth was even drawn up in a bow...until he saw the mess in the Square, the empty clothes on the ground and Barnaby trying to take the box from Leia.

I ducked away from Poe and ran over to the big man by the sleigh. “Sir, are you really Santa Claus? You look like Santa...”

Barbara Beatrix Dameron!” He certainly ho-ho-ed like Santa did. His voice was a little higher than I thought Santa's would be. “What are you doing all the way in Toyland, young lady? You should be in North Philadelphia, helping your parents with their party!”

My brother took me to work with him.” I tried to raise an eyebrow like my mama does, but they both went up at the same time. I can never do that. “How do you know my name?”

Of course, I know your name! I know the name of every child I deliver presents to, or ever gave presents to.” He gave me a warm, friendly smile. I knew I'd seen that smile not long ago.

Um, sir? I mean, Mr. Santa?”I tugged on Santa's sleeve. “I was told you might be able to take me home. I don't know how I got here, and I really need to get back. I have to tell my brother and his boss something important.”

He took my hand. “Of course I'll take you home. Just as soon as I deal with a few things here.”

Sir Kylo Ren got in front of him, holding his sword on him. “Oh no you don't, Claus. I'm taking over this operation. There will be no more toys here!”

Barnaby was so surprised at this, he let go of the box with the deeds. “What do you mean? I'm the one in charge here, boy!”

Not anymore.” Sir Kylo Ren ran into Barnaby, knocking him over. Mother Leia stumbled aside. “I don't like people who attack my mother. Consider our deal off. I'm going to be in charge of the Toy Factory from now on. It's my right.”

He never got the chance. Just as he lunged at Santa and Mr. Barnaby with his sword, we heard rumbling coming from the street that lead to the Toy Factory. Suddenly, a fluffy white blur came stampeding through the square! It ran into everything, going straight to a pen next to a red gingerbread building that looked like a barn, complete with white trim. (I wondered if the top would moo when I opened it, like my Little People barn?)

Hey!” One of the white blurs was chewing on Kylo Ren's cape. “What do I look like, a head of cabbage?” He yanked his cape away. “Stop that!”

Kaydel yanked his sword away with her cane. Maz and Snap ran after her. “You're through, Kylo Ren! I won't let you or your boss hurt my sheep anymore!”

That was all the distraction Rey needed. She grabbed the Toymaker's blue sword and held it on Ben Boy Blue. “You're finished. The Toy Factory belongs to its rightful owners. Your boss is under arrest. No one can save you now.”

That's not quite true.” Santa shook his head. “There is one person who can save him.”

Who?” I tugged on Santa. “Who can save him?”

Santa patted my shoulder, then looked up at Ben. “Ben...the only person who can change you is you. You can save yourself. You can still do the right thing. Just because a person makes one mistake doesn't mean their life his over.” He gave me that bow smile, then nodded at Mr. Han, Mother Leia, Rey, and Poe. “I learned that from my friends.”

No.” Ben pulled back. “If I go back with you, I'll just be Ben Boy Blue again. I don't want to be that boy. I want to be something special.”

Rey went to his other side, still holding Poe's hand. “But you are something special. You don't need Snoke or the Toy Factory to tell you that. You're smart, you're strong, and you're a good fighter.”

Mother Leia nodded. “Please come back to the Factory with us!”

Ben just turned away. “I don't belong there, Mother. I don't think I ever will.” He nodded as police officer bears from Toyland Town put handcuffs on Snoke. “I'm going to take the trolls back to the Forest of No Return. That's where I want to be.” He narrowed his eyes at Santa. “Until next time, you old goat!”

Everyone tried to reach for him, but he swirled his cape around too fast. There was a burst of red light. When it subsided, he was gone, and so were Jack Hux and Jill Phasma.

Boy! Come back here, boy!” Snoke was yelling into the empty air. He tried to give Santa a sickly grin as the police bears brought him to Santa. “Well, hello there, Mr. Claus! Fancy meeting you here. I thought we might come to terms on the Toy Factory...”

No, Snoke.” He shook his head. “The Toy Factory already has a buyer.” Mother Goose and Mr. Han handed him the long box. He opened it, revealing three heavy, yellowed papers with fancy cursive writing on them. “I've been in discussions with Mother Goose and her family for a long time. I'm going to buy the Factory and run it just as it is. We'll keep making all the toys that children love.”

What?” Snoke looked over his shoulder at Mother Goose, who gave him a smirk, and Mr. Han, who had that little grin on his face. “You didn't tell me you had another buyer!”

Mother Goose shrugged. “You never asked.”

Santa handed Mother Goose the box. “You and Han can continue running the Factory for as long as you're able to.”

We're going to need someone who can replace my poor brother.” Mother Leia turned to Rose. “No one will ever be able to do what he can...but you've got a good imagination, young lady. I saw what you did earlier today with the Toy Soldiers. I think you'd make a wonderful Toymaker. As of now, you'll be getting a raise and will be in charge of all toy design and creation.”

Really?” Rosie's big smile nearly split her face. “I mean, really? You really want me to be the new Toymaker? I mean, I know I can build things, but I'm not as good as him...”

“Maybe you're not as good as he was.” Finn put his hand on her shoulder. “But you're a pretty good you. And you are good at building things. You helped the Toymaker put those Toy Soldiers together, and they saved us in the end.”

That was when I heard barking. “Chewie!” The big dog dashed right over to me and leaped into my arms. Well, he tried to. I don't have enough arm. I ended up on the ground, with Chewie licking my face. “Stop it!” I giggled. “You're getting fur on my dress!”

Ok, ok boy. That's enough.” Maz pulled Chewie off me. He ran over to Mr. Han to jump on him, only Mr. Han was big enough to still be standing. Maz had Mr. DJ in handcuffs behind her. “Thank you for helping us catch this scamp, little miss. We found him trying to escape with the trolls.”

DJ shrugged. “Hey, you can't blame a man for trying. I'm only a poor fellow trying to make a living. Snoke had the best offer.”

Maz made a face. “And are giving us gypsies a bad name.” She turned to Mr. Han and Mother Leia. “We'll handle him.” Her tiny, wrinkled fingers gently took their hands and put them together. “You're home, Han. Maybe you might want to stay a little while this time.”

Mr. Han wasn't looking at her. He was smiling at Mother Leia, who gave him a gentle one back. “Yeah, think I will, Maz.”

Mother Leia was still holding his hand when she turned to Poe. “You'll be staying on at the Factory as our head foreman, of course? With an increase in salary.”

Poe grinned. “Of course.” I saw him squeeze Rey's hand. “If I'm going to treat my flower queen like she deserves, I'll need to make a little more money.”

Rey gave him a dreamy smile back. “Tomorrow, since the Factory is closed for the holiday anyway, would you like me to show you Cockleshell Gardens? My pretty maids all in a row are coming up now. If,” she added quickly, “you aren't busy.”

He looked just as dazed as my brother always did around Rey. “I'd like nothing more.”

Kaydel hugged her sheep. “My poor babies! They're all trembling in their little wool sweaters.”

Santa leaned over one of the sheep. “I agree. I think I could use a new wool supply for doll dresses and to make yarn for rag doll and Cabbage Patch Kids hair. This is a fine flock you have here, young lady. I might consider buying them from Barnaby.” He gave her a serious look. “As long as you promise to keep a better eye on them from now on.”

Oh, I will!” She nodded at Snap, who was scratching a lamb between its ears. “Snap is going to help me.”

And now...” Santa went to the Christmas tree in the center square. “Citizens of Toyland!” Everyone gathered around him. The Toy Soldiers marched into a row along the road that lead to the train station and the end of town and saluted him. Gypsies and the animals who worked at the Factory loaded bags and bags of toys into his sack. “I give you...Christmas!”

Santa pushed a switch on the pole next to the tree. The lights on the tree burst to life, reminding me a lot of the lights on Market Street when Poe and I take the SEPTA bus home together. Everyone oohed and ahhhed. It was really pretty, with all the glittery balls and soft embroidered Santas and reindeer. The star at the top glittered like the stars in the dark blue sky over our heads.

Seeing the tree all lit up made me think of my parents' tree at home, and of Poe and Mama and Papa and all my sisters and aunts and uncles. “Mr. Santa?” I tugged on his sleeve. “Can we go home now? It's nice here, and I like everybody...but I miss my family.”

Santa nodded. “It's time, little one. Go say good-bye while I get the reindeer ready.”

Everyone wanted to give me a hug! Chewie whimpered. I wrapped my arms around him. “I'll miss you, boy, but you have Mr. Han now. He and Mother Goose will take care of you.”

Thank you for helping us!” Poe gave me such a big hug, I was breathless when he let me go!

Rey's hug wasn't quite so big. “We're going to miss you. You're such a nice girl. Your family is lucky to have you.”

I grinned. “Are you guys going to get married? You already have the dress!”

They laughed...but I could see from the looks they gave each other that they were thinking about it. “Maybe someday, little one.” Rey ruffled my hair. “ Right now, we're going to get to know each other better before we jump into things.”

Finn leaped over to me, pulling Rosie along with him. “Don't forget us, kiddo!”

Rosie nodded. “You brought Finn and me together and helped show me what I could really do.”

All the sheep gathered around me, bonking me with their heads. “They say 'good-bye,' too.” Kaydel was crying. “Please come and visit us someday!”

Don't cry!” I took a crumpled tissue out of my pocket. “I don't know if I'll be back. But...it's funny. I feel like I know all of you anyway. Like The Wizard of Oz. But I couldn't know you.”

Come 'ere, kid!” Mr. Han gave me a big hug and rubbed my head. “Don't give Santa any trouble. You're his cabin girl now.”

I leaned into Mother Leia. Her perfume was flowery and spicy, and it smelled just like my mama's. Her little fingers stroked my curly black hair. “You be careful now, little one. Don't lean too far out of the sleigh, and do everything that Santa tells you to do. And never forget that you have friends here who love you.”

I won't.” I sniffled. “I'm sorry, but...you kind of remind me of my mama and grandma.”

Her laughter was warm and gentle. “I'm going to take that as a compliment.”

Maz tugged me away from Mother Goose. “It's time.” Two of her gypsies helped me into the sleigh. The older lady pulled a furry blanket over my knees. “Don't forget, little one, that it doesn't matter if you've made mistakes. What really matters is how you choose to act about them.”

But...” I didn't get a chance to ask her what she meant. Santa climbed into the sleigh next to me. I frowned. “It's already time to go?”

That's right.” Santa lifted the reigns. “I have thousands of other stops to make tonight, including Philadelphia. We have to get moving, or I'll never get to any of them before dawn.”

I couldn't believe I was actually in Santa's sleigh, with Santa right next to me! “Can I say it, Mr. Santa? Please?”

He chuckled, a warm ho-ho-ho deep in his big belly. “Why not?”

Ok!” I couldn't believe I was actually getting to do this! “On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Vixen! On Comet, on Cupid, on Donner and Blitzen! Oh, and on Rudolph, too! To the top of the porch, to the top of the wall, now dash-a-way, dash-a-way all!”

Even as I said those words, the reindeer were starting to gallop down the main street. I could see all the gingerbread houses and the train station and the train I'd arrived on. I couldn't help noticing that the station and the ticket window were empty. There was no seller there now, nor a conductor. The sleigh finally took off, soaring into the night sky.

The view from below us was amazing. I waved to everyone, to Rey and Poe and Finn and Rose holding hands, to Mr. Han and Mother Goose and Chewie and all the gypsies. I could see the same beautiful green rolling hills and meadows we saw on our way here. I even saw Kylo Ren, Jill Phasma, Jack Hux, and Simple Simon leading a line of carriages filled with trolls back to the shadowy Forest of No Return. Crooked Castle was still off in the distance, as rickety and scary as ever.

Something had been bothering me, ever since Santa's sleigh arrived. “Mr. Santa,” I started, “you remind me of someone...well, a couple of someones...I saw back at Toyland Town. But you can't be him. Kylo Ren killed him.”

That's what he thought.” Santa turned to me with that little smile...and I realized I knew who he was, and where I'd seen that smile before. “I wasn't going to let him hurt all those innocent people.”

Mr. Toymaker?” My mouth almost dropped to the floor. “You're Santa? But...but...”

It's a long story.” Mr. Toymaker...or Santa...leaned back in his seat.

But how?” I asked him. “How did you survive?”

He just shrugged. “Christmas magic.” We were flying over the ocean now. There wasn't much to see here, just lots of sparking water. “Why don't you take a nap? We'll be back in Philadelphia at Skywalker's Department Store in no time.”

Well, ok.” I pulled the blanket over the rest of me. “I am a little tired. But you will wake me up when we get home, right?”

Santa nodded. “Of course.”

I curled up on the wide, velvety seat and leaned into Santa's shoulder. I didn't think I was tired, but I was. “I wish I was home,” I murmured. “I wish I could tell Poe that I love him...I wish I could tell him what Ben and his friends are doing...”

~*~*~*~*~*~

BB? Are you awake?” A warm hand shook my arm. “Your brother's looking for you!”

Huh?” My eyes snapped open. I was back on the train at Skywalker's Department Store. Everything was just the same as it had been before. “Where am I?” I looked up...and into a familiar pair of blue eyes and bright red suit. “Santa! What are you doing here? Don't you have to deliver presents?”

What? Oh.” Santa looked down at his costume. “Sorry, BB. I played Santa this year to cut down on the cost of hiring someone to wear the suit. It's Mr. Weston. Your brother's been turning the store over trying to find you.”

BB!” Poe and Rey hurried over. “There you are!” He helped me out of the train. “I told you not to wander off!”

But I had to!” I hugged my brother as hard as he could. I fact, I thought I'd never let him go. “Poe, is it really you, and not another Poe?”

It's really me, kiddo.” He squeezed me as hard as he could. “I think it's time to take you home for that party.”

No!” I grabbed his hand. “You have to stop Ben Solo and his friends!” I turned to Santa...Mr. Weston. “Ben is the one who stole from the company, not my brother! He's going to use the money to run off to Mr. Snoke in Boston and make you and Mrs. Solo sell the store. Hux, Phasma, and Mitaka are in on it! I heard them talking when we were looking for the stuffed sheep.”

Don't worry about that, kid.” Officer Solo, Chewbacca, and Mrs. Solo came over next. Officer Solo had Ben by his arm. Two more policemen as big as bears pushed Hux and Phasma and Mitaka along. “Leia's suspected Ben was up to something for a long time. We caught them trying to take the money and skip town. I think a couple of days in jail might let them rethink their stance on white-collar crimes.”

Mrs. Solo sighed. “Ben, I'm sorry, but we're not bailing you out this time. You're going to have to pay for your crimes.” She narrowed her eyes. “And I'm going to have a long talk with Snoke about all this after the holidays.”

Ben glared at them. “And we would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for my damn father, that mutt of his, and that little brat!”

Are you going to call me a meddling kid?” I grinned. “Because in this case, I'm glad I am one!”

Everyone laughed, just like at the end of the Scooby Doo cartoons. Poe checked his watch. “I think it's time I took this little girl home. The party will be starting in a half-hour. Papa will have my head if I'm late.”

We'll take you there ourselves.” Mrs. Solo smiled up at Officer Solo. “Do you still have that old truck you used to haul me around in all the time? The Falcon?”

Sure.” He frowned. “But I thought you hated that truck. Said it was a piece of junk.”

Rey chuckled. “I've seen that truck. It's garbage, but it's still better than a train or bus.”

Wait!” I grabbed Rose's hand as she, Kaydel, and Finn joined us. “Mr. Weston, Rose is good with building things. I think she could help you make toys to sell at Skywalker's. That way, you'll have something special that no one else in Philadelphia is selling.”

You do, huh?” Mr. Weston gave her a grin. “In that case, why don't we talk it over in my office the day after Christmas? Say, around 10 AM?”

Rose absolutely beamed. “That would be wonderful, sir! You won't be disappointed!”

You're all invited to my parents' party.” Poe took Rey's hand. “You too. I really want them to meet you.”

Rey gave him the same dreamy grin I saw on Rey Quite Contrary in Toyland. “I'd like that.”

Poe!” I grabbed his other hand. “You're not going to believe the dream I had! I was in Toyland, and I met Santa Claus, and the Toymaker, and Mother Goose, and the Crooked Man and Sir Kylo Ren the Black Knight wanted to destroy the Toymaker, but he disappeared, but he didn't, and there was Maz and the gypsies and the trolls and...”

Whoa!” He laughed and lifted me into his arms. “Tell me all about it on the way home, ok?”

Sure!” I put my arms around him. “I love you, Poe. You're the best big brother ever.”

He gave me a big hug. “I love you too, BB.”

As we were leaving Skywalker's Department Store, I saw the dancers outside again. They were just starting to round up their instruments and money for the night. As we headed down the street to the parking lot, I could have sworn that the smallest and oldest of the dancers winked at me! She looked almost exactly like Miss Maz, right down to the colorful embroidered clothing and huge glasses.

Thanks again, little one!” She winked at me with a grin. “And Merry Christmas!”

You too!” I waved at her, then shook my brother's shoulder. “Poe, are dreams real? 'Cause I think I saw one of the gypsies from Toyland!”

Poe looked over his shoulder, but the dancers were already going in the opposite direction. Miss Maz was gone. “I'm sure you did, BB.” He gave me another hug. “Tell me all about it in the Falcon.”

Ok!” I gave his cheek a kiss as Rey giggled behind us. “Dorothy was right, Poe. Dreams are fun, but it is nice to be home!”


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment