Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Introduction - The Star Wars Nutcracker

The Nutcracker is one of my favorite holiday tales. As I mentioned when I did a version of for Remember WENN years ago, I'm not a big fan of the original book The Hard Nut. Instead, I took The Force Awakens and several versions of the ballet (including the Barbie movie and the animated film The Nutcracker Prince) and mashed them together.

It took me a while to figure out how to do this one. I couldn't decide whether to do it with the Force Awakens cast or the Original Trilogy cast. After I decided on that, I had to figure out whether to keep the opening and closing segments in their original Victorian setting, or move them elsewhere, including to modern times. I ultimately decided I wanted to explore the relationship between Rey, the Solos, and Luke and thought the story worked best in the time it was written, the early 1890's.

I hope you enjoy this holiday treat! I'll be working on a few more original short Christmas stories this month as well. If you don't celebrate Christmas, don't despair! I'm also hoping to catch up on my Star Wars Original Trilogy fairy tales, as well as The Resistance Kids Go Camping, before New Year's. I'll return to longer stories after the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment