Saturday, August 6, 2016

Princess Leia and the Merman - Epilogue

It was nearly two weeks before Leia was deemed well enough to return to Maz's house. Her father was so happy to have both his children home, he only grounded her for a week for running out. Neither she nor Luke would have been going anywhere in any case. They were both taken to their beds, treated for water inhalation and possible lung damage.

Anakin ordered his trawlers to bring up the treasure within days of his children revealing its final resting place. He also had men dive for the remaining family heirlooms on the Twin Sunset. His scientists were delighted with all the information the Skywalker Twins brought back with them about the bottom of the ocean floor. They vowed to make more extensive studies of deep-sea coral and the animals who lived there.

Leia and Luke told their father what they could, making sure to leave out any mention of magic or mermen. Leia claimed Han Solo had vanished, but she had found the oilskin bag, and evidence that he'd been strong-armed into committing robbery to help a friend. Luke corroborated his sister's story, adding that the evil nobleman Han had worked for was now dead, thanks to Leia's quick thinking.

Lando spent a great deal of time with Leia in those two weeks. She found him a wonderful, charming man. He took her out on the Lady Luck, held extravagant picnics on the beach, and bought her all manner of gifts and trinkets. She liked him a lot, and she appreciated his help with Jabba and Boba Fett.
She just wasn't sure it was love.

I'm not ready to get married yet,” she told him one day, as he drove her back from a trip into Theed Town. “Just give me some time to decide.” Her eyes, as always, roamed to the sea, searching for a flash of a bright navy fish tail. “Father's fleet has found most of his treasure. We're not in quite as desperate of need as we were before.”

Lando nodded and kissed her hand. “I can wait, Your Highness. I don't care how much money you have. I still want you to be my bride.”

We'll see.” She smiled as they pulled up at Maz's shack. “I need to stop here. I have to return something I borrowed to a friend, and Luke said he had something he wanted to show me.”

I'll go in with you.” He helped her out of the carriage. “I might be able to buy you a necklace that's even nicer than that shell one you're wearing.”

Leia's hand went to the necklace Maz gave her, the one she still wore. “Oh, this is what I borrowed. I don't need it anymore.”

Then you'll have the most beautiful shell necklace in the entire shop.” He opened the door for her. “You'll have dozens.”

She shook her head. “I don't need dozens. I just need to return this one.”

Maz was sitting behind her work bench, stringing a dangling earring made of purple sea crystals, when they walked in. “Leia!” The elderly woman went right to her. “Well, did you find what you were looking for?”

Yes, but he...it didn't work out for me.” She put the necklace in Maz's hand. “Here. Thank you for your help. You did more for me than you could ever know.”

Maz pushed it back at her. “Keep it. It won't help you breathe underwater anymore, but it does look good on you.”

Leia shook her head. “It reminds me too much of it...and him...and everything.” She sighed. “We're too different, Maz. It would never have worked out.”

Maybe not. Maybe so.” She gave the girl a gap-toothed grin. “Oh, you haven't met my new apprentice yet!” Maz winced as the sound of boxes toppling onto the floor could be heard in the next room. “Don't mind him. He's just getting his sea legs.”

Luke nodded. “I ran into him a week ago. I'll go get him.”

Leia had turned around to let Lando put the necklace back on her when she heard a familiar, cheeky voice. “Hi there, Your Worship. How can I help you?”
Han!” It was him...only now, he stood on two legs, clad in tight brown and yellow trousers. He wore a navy jacket over his white shirt and had tools on a belt at his hip. Luke grinned at his side. She threw her arms around him. “What happened? How...”

Maz patted her arm. “Jabba's not the only one who knows a little magic.”

Went to Maz a week ago. I'm tired of swimming. I had nothing under the water. My home is here.” He put his hand against hers. “We're not so different anymore.”

She smiled at him. “No. Not anymore.”

Lando put an arm around him. “Hey there. Welcome back.” He grinned at them. “You're a lucky man, Solo. She's really one of a kind.”

Yeah, she is.” Han looked over his shoulder as a bark sounded in the back room. “Hey Chewie, Leia's here! Let her see you now!”

Chewie” turned out to be an enormous, brown-spotted mountain with more fur than seen in an entire zoo. He sniffed at her with his long, cold black nose. She laughed as he gave her a bark of recognition. “Hi there, boy.”

Chewie nearly knocked Luke over, slobbering him with kisses. “Easy, boy.” He looked up from under the piles of brown fuzz. “You be good to my sister. She's the strongest person I know. If it wasn't for her, I'd still be stuck as a slimy yes-thing to Jabba.”

That's right,” Han added. “And I'd still be luring good people to their death.” He nodded at the shack. “Maz said she'd exchange my tail for helping her in the shop. I've got a good job now, Leia. I'm going to take Maz's jewelry all over the kingdom and sell it. It'll triple her sales.” He hugged her close, as hard as he could. “I'm never going to let you go again. I love you.”

She smiled up at him. “I know.” Maz grinned, Luke whistled, and Chewbacca barked as they leaned in for a kiss.


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment